377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok ok i can feel the love... now back to the naked Versys pics :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ohh noice ill check that out
... btw Stlee Have you seen the Versys pics with the duel headlight conversion and larger diameter tires ..i think they are on AdV rider but i cant seem to find them now >.<

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
dont worry found it finally

bout halfway down its actually a ninja 650 with Versys forks and rear shock.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Camaroz ...Black/Metallic one is definitely a Versys
the Red one is a 650r Ninja tho.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JD you have acquired Legend status in my book, your ingenuity is truly impressive.
..how problematic was the twin light conversion for you?
and do you have any pictures floating around of your dash / screen / light installation.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Unfortunately it all looks like custom work although there are a few kits popping up all over the place ...i recently found this site with a couple of different buell light conversions www.fake.ch

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
More Trawling for ideas on this topic

and fitted ..i know this is shown elsewhere in the Forums, however I think I read it was possibly a Yamaha item MT-03 headlight but i think this is the one they used.

MT-03 shot for comparison (damn that seat looks a bit more comfy than the Versys)

here's the website for those interested
http://www.spieglerusa.com/UrbanHeadlight/

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Bit the bullet ordered the parts from Buell here in Australia (LH traffic Version)
A Tad bit expensive but Aussie dollar is fail atm tho if i got the parts i have to do the work.:D

The Buell parts are these

Y0721.6AC - Headlight Assembly- $199 ( Australian Version)
M0645.1ADA - Mount Headlight - $42 (this holds the flyscreen on)
M0023.1AJAYT - Headlight Grille - $69
M1600.1ACMW - Windscreen Kit w/decal (black) - $129 ish

also Ordered the Pro Tek Fork Clamps 50mm x 4 to support all this mess from

http://www.monkeybuttparts.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=1697

They were about 15% cheaper than all the others and they can get it sent over to Oz.
now let the waiting game begin...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
While I've been nutting out this concept in my head, one of the issues that had concerned me is what to do about the brackets on the tank, (like this only green.)

Rather thank go to the trouble of fabricating up some new compact side covers I should perhaps use these brackets and support some tank panniers.
something similar to this.

I'm guessing i would have more room for 'stuff' and i can easily hide the obtrusive brackets underneath.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Actually i could have one of these in the tank panniers for just those occasions .....I'd feel like Arnie. :D

even peeps in their cages with their windows up would get a fright.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Finally have most the Parts i require for the Buell Duel light conversion ...i think :D

the brackets arrived from Arizona and i must say they are an awesome fit (like the proverbial glove.)

i have started taking the panels off including the radiator shrouds and due to the fact i still have to commute to work every day i put the original screen back onto the bike.

The Look of the tank with the brackets etc ...is how can i say this a bit of a dogs breakfast. I'm hoping once i find some tank panniers that suit it will be a whole lot better.

I've just attached to indicators to the fairing support brackets I'll be attaching these to the buell light mounts eventually. I'm not going to go as far as JD had with his custom 10 gauge steel mount, as its really just a commuter bike atm, I'm going to try and keep the design as simple as i can and make it out of easily available Aluminum extrusions once I'm happy with the setup ill get the assembly welded together.

The radiator overflow/reservoir is probably the ugliest thing to get rid of ill possibly use a Aluminum bottle from an outdoor shop and tap the bottom and top with the correct size hose fitting. and attach it to the bike with some brackets just above the radiator.

In the back of my mind i can see down the track if the tank bag idea doesn't work to hide the 'Ugly' i may have to do a bit of custom fiber glassing work, as i really don't want to remove the brackets if i can avoid it. I thought with a bit of molding clay I could shape out the missing tank bits, and then Fglass over the clay making a couple of one off custom pieces.
Or i could find a wrecked Versys and grab its tank and go to town with that ...actually that sounds much easier.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I've thought about the 650 tank but i think the Fuel capacity on the Versys is a bit larger and i Kinda like its shape ( bar the brackets etc).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
I took the day off today to make some progression on my Buell Light Conversion.. i spent a couple of hours last night pulling off the front end.

I started by replacing the huge overflow radiator container with something a little more appealing.
I found a 375ml Aluminum fuel container at an outdoor shop and purchased some hose adapter fittings from a hose fitting joint, and tapped them into the container then used a large hose clamp to attach it to the frame.

I then started to cut up a Right angle aluminum extrusions into a couple of 15cm lengths, i then did a bit of trimming and shaping to get this.

once it was mounted on the Pro-tek Brackets, I wired up the lights and checked the beam height.

...Unfortunately I had misjudged how far out the Ignition thing sticks out so i had to go back and make up some 17cm lengths just so i could rotate the bottom of the light cluster back in a bit.

After sorting out the light mounting issues i placed the gauge cluster into the Buell screen mount and i realized that with a bit of cutting I could make it fit
rather snuggly.

After mounting the lights and Gauges i used the original 15cm lengths (cut down to 12cm) to make a lower support mount i then made a custom center lower piece to hold the centered spigot under the buell light (so it cant rotate forward and up.)

Overall I'm quite happy with the result ..I still need to do a bit more cutting and filing to tidy up a few areas, and ill paint it black to match in with the rest of the bike too, over the next couple of weeks I'm going to add a set of 4 inch driving lights just below and wider than the Buells similar again to JD's Bike.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I have just finished tidying up and painting (with etch primer and then Matt black) the custom brackets supporting the Buell lights.

I realized after riding a bit that having the Gages mounted out on the screen bracket wasn't such a good idea, as when you tilted the screen forward the digital speedometer became illegible.
so i added a couple of extra brackets to mount the cluster separately ...the other advantage is that i was able to hide the wiring a little more easily underneath.

Riding the Versys now is a completely different experience ..there is no buffeting at all as i experienced with the variety of screen combinations I have used before, just a nice constant pressure om my helmet and upper chest.
There also seems to be a lot less in my peripheral vision with this set up, which gives me the weird impression of no actually being on a bike, but almost the bike being more a part of me...for want of a better explanation.

So far I'm Stoked with this setup. :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Here ya go Stoned,

Just as an update tho I've put back the radiator covers and moved the red custom reserve tank back a bit.
I've tried to shape up some custom side panels out of Balsa wood which ended up being an epic fail :(
...so I"m going to attempt to make them out of closed cell polystyrene as (i've been told) its much easier to make complex shapes, I'll then fiberglass over the top.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
I've just gone to my local Fiberglass place and picked up the closed cell foam and fiberglass bits and pieces in order to craft up the new side pods for the tank. ( to cover the brackets)
I'm going to try and incorporate the small flat extrusions at the top of the radiator shrouds into each side as an extra mounting point and also to tie everything together.

Wish me luck its gonna be :interesting:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I Started the fabrication tonight using 15mm thick closed cell foam, I did a rough mock up initially using cardboard, as i could use this as a template for both sides of the tank.

I then set about cutting out the Foam and using some 3M spray adhesive to hold the pieces together, following the contours of the tank as close as i could.

so far its taken around 4 hours for the construction and sanding and I'm still only about 70% done on the right side pod, and i haven't even thought about glassing it yet :eek:

From the way its coming together tho i think its going to be a big improvement on the bare brackets.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Why not make those new pieces your building able to hold things for you? I bet you could make them open on the top, even lockable.
I could, but its currently taking all my limited brain resources just to get the 'basic' pods made :D, and as I'm keeping it as close to the tank contours as possible i dont have a lot of space to play with unless i build outwards.

Once i have the pods glassed up and perhaps molded I'll start to think about it...hmm it does sound like a good idea tho.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts