162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These were taken by the Highway patrol

Month Before

After

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I guess we can assume that you survived since you posted this. Looks like your V put up quite a fight! Hope you are OK, but that looks bad.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm guessing ford pickup turned into him.

And...HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now I'm sitting in a nursing home with two broken arms and one leg. I won't be able to get out for at least a month.

And yes she was cited and had insurance. The cost so far are over $130,000. The life flight alone was $16,500.

This all happened back on July 5th.

Maloy

·
Registered
582 Posts
CRAP!!!!
I'm glad your okay now, but can only imagine the actual accident :(
Sorry to see such a sharp Versys in that state, I hope your planning to get back on the horse?
:goodluck: and get better soon!

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
maloy:-

May you find comfort in knowing
many of us are caring about you
and we hope good health will be
restored to you soon.

GOD be with you.

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was doing about 30 to 35 mph. Se turned about 7 to 8 yards ahead of me. At 30 mph I'm doing 44 feet per second. So I did not have much time to react.

However, physical therapy does have some nice looking ladies!

Maloy

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Note Maloy's left shoe still wedged in between the Ford Ranger and the Versys. :eek:

With both arms broken but with nice female assistance, Maloy already released a full report of his horrific shunt on August 14th, covering most of your questions:

... I sort of had a life altering experience. I was hit head on by a pickup while riding my Versys. It made a sudden left hand turn in front of me at about 7 yards away while I was doing 30 to 35 mph. If you do the math I was going about 44 feet per second if I was doing 30 mph. In less than a half of a second I impacted the front of the truck. The woman that hit me claims she never saw me, even though it was broad daylight and the sun wasn't low enough to be in her eyes.:mad:

The Versys was totaled, I was life flighted to Akron General. I ended up in the ICU for about a week and two surgeries to put my arms and left leg back together. As I write this I'm in a nursing home for recovery and rehab.:(

I do like taking long trips, but next year I'd like to ride out to the west coast from here in Ohio. I've considered a DL1000 (VStrom) for this. There isn't any question on getting back on a bike. The question is, "Do I get another Versys, or look at other options?" What would you do, and what would you look at?:confused:

Maloy

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=130D8C399711AB90&p_docnum=27&p_theme=gatehouse&s_site=TRNN&p_product=TRNN
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10525

·
Registered
665 Posts
Glad you are doing better Maloy.

Find a physical therapist that rides and away you go!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm impressed with the dent your "boys" put in the back of the tank! There's no doubt that musta hurt! Hopefully those cute physical therapists are helping with that.

Hope your recovery goes well.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Thanks for the update Maloy, still looking for a nimble bike, can I recommend a Kawasaki Versys when you are up to it, a very nimble bike and believe that is what your next bike must be. All the best mate and keep us posted on your progress, great attitude

1 - 20 of 82 Posts