1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow, great pictures! I'd be interested in your exact route. I've never explored the NW corner of CO and I'd really like to, especially after seeing your pictures.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, great pictures! I'd be interested in your exact route. I've never explored the NW corner of CO and I'd really like to, especially after seeing your pictures.
From the Fort Collins area take CO 14 west to CO 40 to Steamboat Springs ( you know that one) . Continue on CO 40 to Craig. From there take CO 13 west to Meeker then CO 64 to Rangely then continue northwest to Dinosaur. Go east on 40 for 2 miles to the entrance of Dinosaur National Monument. This is the part of the park without the bones. This is the entrance to Harlers Corner drive. Check the national park service pages for details. Harpers Corner Drive is 31 miles to the end. You have to hike a couple of miles to get to the place where you can see the Yampa and the Green rivers. So make sure you bring appropriate footwear. Riding boots are not made for walking :)

Then I backtracked to Rangely and took CO 139 south to Loma and I70 to Grand Junction. 139 will take over Douglas Pass. Really cool pass but seems a recent slide took most of the road and it's not in the best shape.

From Grand Junction I just took I70 east back home.

Total of 912 miles in two and a half days starting in Parker, CO. I broke the trip in three legs staying one night in Craig and one night in Grand Junction. There were some long stretches of nothingness in the trip but not less beautifull than the mountain roads.

If you liked what you saw check out these picts from the year before. I did the western slope but staying south of I70.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy88/boricuaversys/4th of July CO western slope motorcycle tour/?albumview=slideshow

This one was about 1,500 in three and a half days.

·
Registered
369 Posts
From the Fort Collins area take CO 14 west to CO 40 to Steamboat Springs ( you know that one) . Continue on CO 40 to Craig. From there take CO 13 west to Meeker then CO 64 to Rangely then continue northwest to Dinosaur. Go east on 40 for 2 miles to the entrance of Dinosaur National Monument. This is the part of the park without the bones. This is the entrance to Harlers Corner drive. Check the national park service pages for details. Harpers Corner Drive is 31 miles to the end. You have to hike a couple of miles to get to the place where you can see the Yampa and the Green rivers. So make sure you bring appropriate footwear. Riding boots are not made for walking :)

Then I backtracked to Rangely and took CO 139 south to Loma and I70 to Grand Junction. 139 will take over Douglas Pass. Really cool pass but seems a recent slide took most of the road and it's not in the best shape.

From Grand Junction I just took I70 east back home.

Total of 912 miles in two and a half days starting in Parker, CO. I broke the trip in three legs staying one night in Craig and one night in Grand Junction. There were some long stretches of nothingness in the trip but not less beautifull than the mountain roads.

If you liked what you saw check out these picts from the year before. I did the western slope but staying south of I70.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy88/boricuaversys/4th of July CO western slope motorcycle tour/?albumview=slideshow

This one was about 1,500 in three and a half days.
Man I love your get up and go. Your wife must be an Angel!!:clap:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Beautiful scenery, but all that white stuff sent a shiver down my spine. :brrr: :thumb:

There needs to be a brrr emoticon.
That high altitude cool air is invigorating and addictive. When it gets into the 90s I head to the 9500+ ft areas with a bit of snow on the passes. As long as the road is clear it is just fine. It's the 90+ deg heat that bothers me the most.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That high altitude cool air is invigorating and addictive. When it gets into the 90s I head to the 9500+ ft areas with a bit of snow on the passes. As long as the road is clear it is just fine. It's the 90+ deg heat that bothers me the most.
Last Sun I was riding with my wife from Florissant and the heat was just too much for her. 90+ in full gear in the Colo Spgs traffic was not fun. Had to stop and get her a lot of ice water to cool down.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man I love your get up and go. Your wife must be an Angel!!:clap:
I have not taken my wife with me in multiday rides. She's just getting started riding pillion. I do the long rides solo. I do not want to push her into 300+ mile a day rides. The other day she was admiring how comfortable a K1200 GTL looks like. However, with a kid still in college the idea of an upgrade have to wait for a while.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have not taken my wife with me in multiday rides. She's just getting started riding pillion. I do the long rides solo. I do not want to push her into 300+ mile a day rides. The other day she was admiring how comfortable a K1200 GTL looks like. However, with a kid still in college the idea of an upgrade have to wait for a while.
Last week-end I went up to Cripple Creek from Florence, 50 to HWY 9 then High Park rd. on the way back I took 67 to 24 east to Woodland Park- Manitou Springs- Colorado Springs. Traffic, (Pikes Peak Hill Climb), was getting real heavy so I jumped over onto 21st St to Broadmoor and back to Florence on 115. I really started feeling the heat when I got down Ute Pass to Manitou. I lived in Manitou from 1969-1970, it sure has changed from those laid back days. FYI I used to take Hwy 83 to Denver from the Springs. If I recall correctly it came out onto Colorado Blvd and 1st . The only town of consequence between the Springs and Denver on Hwy 83 was Franktown, I don't believe Parker was on the map then. I had a little 356C Porsche then and my favorite part of the ride was the Antelope Creek curve north of the Springs. Thank god there were no police on that road. Anyway nice chatting with you.
Nick

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In 1970 Parker was not a town yet. Now Franktown is no longer a town while Parker is a small city with 45K people.

Once you go past the Franktown, 83 is still a fun ride down to the Springs. There are a few nice sweepers and is still not heavily patrolled. On Sunday afternoons you can catch a few riders doing close to triple digits there. Not that I ever do that while riding there :devil:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts