Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my Versys was blown over in a strong wind due to it's cover/pelican topcase combo creating a big sail, I've been leaving her uncovered in particularly windy rain storms. When I took her in for the first service I was told the clutch line had a decent amount of rust in it and needed to be lubed. Fair enough. My question is- Is leaving her uncovered in the rain the culprit here? If so, does anyone know of aftermarket rubber 'housings' for where the cable meets the lever assembly, like on many bicycles? :confused:

·
Registered
379 Posts
They're the stock lines?

Never heard of rust in the actual line... aren't the cables SS??..
I'm dumbfounded... i've been riding dirtbikes all my life, dropped in rivers, left outside their whole life and never heard of the clutch line getting rusty. Huh... My V for reference is stored outside 95% of the time and the only thing that gets occasional rust (that i know of) are the brake rotors.

Maybe the line was damaged from the tip over or maybe from something else?

Oh PS my V blew over recently with no bags on it lol

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything stock. Interestingly it seemed like in the week running up to the first service the clutch was getting harder and harder to pull. My mechanic allowed as to how the cable hadn't been greased since production- but it seems like there'd have to be another factor to explain the sudden symptoms...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had this issue. I didn't notice the hard pull on the clutch, but when I brought it in for routine service, the dealer pointed out the rusted clutch cable. It was too difficult to lube it, so we just replaced the cable. It does happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts