Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I need to scratch an itch, goto see a pro and get some rattle action on.

Fudgin front sprocket nut!

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So today picked up an air powered impact wrench >500ft, 300Nm torque
WD40 has been soaking in all night.

I have made sure the lock washer is flat all the way around.
Opened the air valve on the tool to full power.

I have had it banging away now for more than 5 minutes intermittently.
It's still not budging!!!

ARRRGGGHHHH!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Hahaha! Only 500 ft-lbs? I like my 1/2" drive 1,295 ft-lbs Nitro Cat, but I just used a 1/2" drive breaker bar and broke it loose in a snap. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
sorry ... 230ft/310Nm air powered torque wrench

even if they did it 120Nm at factory, this should take it off... but nope.

I have also put extentions on my bar to 3.5ft and my hands are hurting trying to do it manually.

I've got the back wheel locked using a broken hickory log splitting axe handle thought the swingarm.

feeling defeated :(

·
Registered
596 Posts
Damn, what's the torque spec on that front sprocket nut? I've managed to get them off the few other bikes I've owned, as I have a chain tool. Well, I don't have to worry about it anytime soon on my 2013, but good to have a heads-up.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Most home compressors won't provide enough airflow, volume is needed NOT just PSI, to get a impact gun working right. We couldn't get the one off my KLR at home BUT the same impact gun at work on the BIG compressor and it was off in a second.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Most home compressors won't provide enough airflow, volume is needed NOT just PSI, to get a impact gun working right. We couldn't get the one off my KLR at home BUT the same impact gun at work on the BIG compressor and it was off in a second.
Not always true. Trying to install crush sleeve on my 66 Mustang. My Craftsman, 5hp, 30 gallon compressor and my Harbor Freight impact gun would nut budge it. A friend brought his Snap-on impact gun and with my compressor zipped it right on.

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
Had mine done at the dealership....Best 40 bucks i ever spent.:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my compressor is pretty good:
190 L/min free air delivery
2.5HP motor
Belt drive design for longer duty cycle
50 litre tank capacity

Just borrowed a 3ft 1.5in ID pipe. plus. so now using about 4.5ft breaker bar... and I can put my full body weight against the bar and pull it anticlockwise 90 degrees...

the nut still will not budge!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Took the '12 down to the local tire shop. Ziipp. Off. No charge. Put the nut back on not quite so tight and road it home to change sprocket.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Had mine done at the dealership....Best 40 bucks i ever spent.:goodluck:
Thats what some members did on the ZX6R forum. They went to the dealer or a shop that had larger tools and just paid to have the nut loosened and then re-tightened it by hand and changed it when they got home.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
I'm contemplating this...
Three things that will increase your impact output, one is to have a direct connection , no regulator , pressure @ 125 PSI, use a 3/8 or 1/2 airline with 6 point impact socket . I tried a 1/2 breaker bar first , then for the hell of it did the above, 5 seconds and it was off, one important factor, I had it in 3rd gear and the back wheel locked.:huh:

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Three things that will increase your impact output, one is to have a direct connection , no regulator , pressure @ 125 PSI, use a 3/8 or 1/2 airline with 6 point impact socket . I tried a 1/2 breaker bar first , then for the hell of it did the above, 5 seconds and it was off, one important factor, I had it in 3rd gear and the back wheel locked.:huh:
1 = already tried - straight line full open reg
2 = already 125 max psi and I have 190lt/min air flow
3 = already used impact socket with 6 point
4 = already locked rear wheel

I will not put it in gear!!!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I will not put it in gear!!!
Wise that. I wouldn't want to load the trans and risk busting it either.

I will say once you do get it off you'll find changing the sprocket a lot easier. I swap out the front on my KLR often, sometime on a trip when going from hi-way to trail and back. I have a cheap torque wrench and keep in the saddle bag with socket for just this. I use a Eagle Mike's Prevailing Torque Nut that self locks, doesn't need the locking washer. Pity he doesn't have one for the Versys.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FCUKKKKKK IT!

Just when to a Tyre place... He only had a Snap-On Cordless - but he said it's more powerful than his air rattle gun... NOPE! Still stuck!

WTF are these assemblers using to tight the nuts so figgin hard!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If it's that tight I'd take it to the Kawasaki dealership and pay them to get it off. If they break it they can fix it.

Sometime ya gotta know when to cut and run.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
When was the last time you went to the dealership and had them do something while you waited or didn't pay $50. Take off the countershaft sprocket cover, bend down the washer. Most tire places that use an impact wrenches all the time will be happy to do it for good will. Offer to pay. Maybe even take the right size 1/2" drive socket or know what size it will take.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts