Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was out shopping yesterday and thought I was hallucinating. I actually stopped and made sure I hadn't fallen down a rabbit hole and woke up in a warmer climate.
You have to understand that I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. This time of year WILL freeze the balls of the brass monkey and recreational riding usually takes place on a snowmobile. The temp outside today was -30 degrees Celcius with the windchill felt like -40 degrees. Exposed skin freezes in 10 minutes. Brrr!
Anyway, I saw a dude riding his motorbike (a Kawi KLR 650 no less) in city streets that you can skate on....they are that icy. He was geared up appropriately but HOLY CRAP, that's cold riding.:eek:
So, I ask you, is this dude just an awesome rider willing to take on mother nature and command respect or is he crazy?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Perhaps he was on his way to a Saskatoon Blades hockey game. (Can't miss the hockey game!)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wow.....that is crazy! I often wonder if these guys(or gals), are truly hardcore muthafu$%as!.......or are they just stuck with a bike as their only mode of transport and are desperate to get somewhere???
God, I hate winter!!!!!!!! I haven't touched my V in almost 4 months!!!!!!! FML :mad:
Cheers
BiGo

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bones

Perhaps he was on his way to a Saskatoon Blades hockey game. (Can't miss the hockey game!)
PS---- Hey Bones.... just wanted to say that I've read all your articles for Rider magazine, and thoroughly enjoyed them all! Great stuff :) Especially your Nova Scotia one....I'm from Halifax :thumb:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Crazy? Yes and no.

I'm guessing he was like me the other day... walked by my V in the garage and had just had enough. Despite the weather I had to take the cover off and go for a 90 minute ride (with appropriate gear).

But yeah.. kinda crazy to ride on ice if he didn't have spiked tires.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
meh... I did a 1100 miler a couple of weekends ago. 12 hours on a Friday and 10.5 back on a Sunday. Oh... never mind. It was in Florida.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Our SW Ontario Winter won't compare to the bone chilling Prairie Winter, but you still won't see even the craziest one try to ride here. So I'm voting crazy.

What is "geared up appropriately" for those temps BTW? When I dress up in cold weather gear for temps just above zero, I'm pretty bulky and and mobility and fine motor skills are somewhat limited by the bulk of clothing. At those extreme sub zero temps, what the heck do you wear to keep your hands and feet warm but still able to work all the controls??

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'm impressed he got it started! Maybe he was just doing it as a goof. Around here you'll see moped riders riding in all condition as they don't have a choice. On a tangent....the other day a car that was behind me at a light must've thought my V was a moped and pulled over into the next lane in order to pass me when the light turned green...when the light changed they found out my V wasn't a moped.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He looked like he was dressed to go for a skidoo ride. He had on the insulated pants and jacket, boots, gloves (not big mitts). His visor on his helmet was fogged up so guessing his visor wasnt heated. Neoprene wind breaking neck warmer too. His hands had to have been frozen......

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
He looked like he was dressed to go for a skidoo ride. He had on the insulated pants and jacket, boots, gloves (not big mitts). His visor on his helmet was fogged up so guessing his visor wasnt heated. Neoprene wind breaking neck warmer too. His hands had to have been frozen......
-30c is pretty cold. I ride down to about -4c but I don't have elcetric gear either. My guess is the guy had heated gloves or liners. Its all about the gear. I've got an insulated riding suit that I don't use because it's just too big and bulky but it does isolate me completely from the elements. I could see myself being farily comfortable in the riding suit with a couple layers underneath it in just about any temperature. I think my hands, feet and face would be the first casualties but with heated gloves, a face mask under a FF helmet and a good pair of boots and socks I could ride down to -30c and live to tell about it. Those KLR guys are crazy anyway.....I really miss mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So I'm looking at the river the other day (the Ottawa, that is, and my house faces it), thinking the ice has a frozen hard thin layer of snow on it, maybe I should put the battery in my Super Sherpa (leave the V under the covers for a while yet...) and try it out on the ice....nope, chickened out. Haven't gone so far as to put (I heard 600!) screws in the tire lugs and give that a whirl...

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
...He was geared up appropriately but HOLY CRAP, that's cold riding.:eek:
So, I ask you, is this dude just an awesome rider willing to take on mother nature and command respect or is he crazy?
YES!!!

;)

When I ice-raced on the Ottawa River near Hawkesbury, Ontario, I would ride there the 7 or 8 miles from my farm (Can-Am 400 Qualifier with studded tires OF COURSE), race, then home. One time, quite cold, crisp and clear (the River is over 1/4 mile wide at that point) I decided to wheelie across. Did it BOTH ways, so I MIGHT be the only person to wheelie ON the Ottawa, and ALL the way across.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Hi everyone. I was out shopping yesterday and thought I was hallucinating. I actually stopped and made sure I hadn't fallen down a rabbit hole and woke up in a warmer climate.
You have to understand that I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. This time of year WILL freeze the balls of the brass monkey and recreational riding usually takes place on a snowmobile. The temp outside today was -30 degrees Celcius with the windchill felt like -40 degrees. Exposed skin freezes in 10 minutes. Brrr!
Anyway, I saw a dude riding his motorbike (a Kawi KLR 650 no less) in city streets that you can skate on....they are that icy. He was geared up appropriately but HOLY CRAP, that's cold riding.:eek:
I live in Ottawa with similar temperatures. Lots and lots of bicycles on the road in those kinds of temperatures. They all use off road tires. But not a motorcycle to be seen. Personally I ride down to 0C with heated gear but loss of traction due to ice is a very real danger on a motorcycle so riding below freezing to me seems a little nuts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts