Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally decided to try and make my own saddlebag brackets. My softbags were flopping in the way of my turn signals so i figured i better do something about it. I posted pics awhile back when i made my own luggage rack. since the rack was made from scrap 7/8 diam handlebar tubing i decided to use windshield mounts that would work with that diam. bar. simple little brackets that clamp around the bar and have a pinch bolt. I used some solid bar stock that fit the hole diameter. ( found at my hardware store for $5 for a 6 foot piece) i used a simple propane torch and heated and bent it in my vise . if you notice i made one hook bend inward and one out, so it cant pop out of place if one of the pinch bolts failed. I then made two solid bar posts on each side in the back, welded them in place, then used a piece of hollow steel tubing as a support bar to tie the back ends together. the hollow tube just slips over the posts snug, no need for bolts or welding. the whole assembly can be removed in a minute, very strong and simple....... I also post a pic of my highway footpeg mods . hope you guys like.:feedback:

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wow, nice rack! :D seriously great fab job:thumb:
I just got a tail bag and plan to get the matching side bags and may have to do something similar.

Donn

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i added some pics with the bags on it, looks like its gona work great, they stay clear of the turn signals. which was my plan, so im happy, and they were built on the cheap

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem...posted a few more, anything to help out, only thing left to do it paint or powdercoat them, i may just paint them for now, same as my luggage rack, i keep making updates and its easier do do when they are painted, powdercoat is more work and when im satisfied they're done, i'll coat them in my powder oven

·
Registered
623 Posts
zoom out a little more and you can get a better feel for how they sit on the bike.

But anyway...looks really awesome! Maybe a bit busy in the back with all the straps but nonetheless a really fine job. I just wish I had the talent and brain power to do something like that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i may rethink the rear straps, those are the ones that came with the bags, but i was thinking of something more streamlined and clean, the crossing straps are elastic, too long to mount close to anything so i crossed them, effective but.....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like cheap and good. Fantastic work.

What are the 'windshield clamps'? With the pinch bolts? Where did you get those?

I just might buy a mig welder instead of pannier racks. Then make my own and still have a welder!

Really nice work. I'll bet the elastic could be done away with and find a way to attach the bags to the rack itself.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
:thumb:Nothing like doing your own farkles. Its like your signature on your bike.

Good work , nice looking.:clap:

:cheers:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the clamps will come with most any small universal windshield, they make them to fit 7/8 bars or 1 inch, since i used scrap handlebar tubing to make the luggage rack the clamps were a perfect fit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts