Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There've been some queries, so here goes:

- after my second Covid Vaccination (Moderna) done on 27 Feb '21 in AZ, about two weeks later I began having some side-effects similar to some that other AZ friends were having - two days of balance problems, then two days of feeling 'pukey', two MORE days of balance problems, then I awoke on the 7th day (20 March?) - felt GREAT, but looking in the mirror saw that the whole left-side of my face had "slumped" as well as still feeling un-balanced. Thinking STROKE I went to the Emerg, and after a CT scan and an MRI the doctor told me I had NOT had a stroke, but that I DID have Bells palsy (which I had NEVER even heard of..!), and as well as my face being partially paralyzed and w/ balance issues, it SHOULD go away after six months or so.

Going to Mass on Palm Sunday - 28 March (my wife driving me in the car) - she stopped at a RED traffic light on a local hwy [in a 50 mph zone], and a Jeep c/w the 'battering-ram' front bumper rear-ended us w/out the sound of squealing-tires or brakes (WANNA BET HE WAS TEXTING...?) and ended up in our back-seat area while making our low-mileage '01 Nissan Maxima SE a write-off!

THAT was the end of riding in AZ for me, and upon return to BC, a long wait to re-start.

An issue from the facial paralysis is that my left-eyelid doesn't "control", so while I CAN blink it AT THE SAME TIME as the right one, it remains OPEN otherwise, so I need to put eye-drops or ointment in it.

But SOMETIMES it just hurts like hell, tears stream down my face, so I need to get home (OFF the road IF I'm riding), and that DOES "put a crimp" in things. There it is "inmates".

:eek:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Heal quickly!

I'm so sorry to hear about both of these events. Luck is unfortunately a (the?) major player in our lives. Here's to hoping good luck comes your way in large doses asap.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hey Ed, sorry for that news. Sounds like you guys weren't hurt too bad in the rear ender? Bit of good news there I suppose. Best wishes for a quick return to good health.

·
Premium Member
16,380 Posts
Hate to hear the news Ed. Hope for a speedy recovery and glad you guys didn't get seriously injured...

·
Premium Member
10,337 Posts
Yes Ed I know you live to ride, I mentioned triggers.

Many don't understand what I mean, as a person that was told at 11 years old to move to Arizona due to the severity of my asthma. Well it took me until I reached 27 years old and another 5years to come to grips.
I carry a inhaler, I think I used it once 2 years ago. My triggers; not getting proper sleep--humidity at 40% all year, above and mold grows ( one trigger) , sleep apnea another important thing to use the machine all the time, weight reduction by as little as 10 pounds has made a huge difference. Diet, no refined anything, did I mention type 2 diabetic, again eating slow release foods is important . stress, another trigger, I found purely by accident ozone ( produced by the older air purifiers --deadly for me) My forced air system uses a special accordion style space gard filter Aprilaire 201 Replacement Filter, MERV 10, Pack of 2: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

. So by removing any two triggers, I have no issues, much more detail but no point in posting.
What I am trying to say is you had a 4 hour ride, something allowed that to happen, you need to figure was it temperature, lack of stress what was different. And like others I am praying for you.

Reactions: Fastoman

·
Administrator
8,366 Posts
Sad to hear of your health issue. May God be by your side in this time of need. Prayers for your quick recovery my friend. God Bless You. 🙏

·
Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
167 Posts
Wow, Ed, now there's an experience...... sounds like you're on the upswing and I hope you fully recover, sooner rather than later. All the best!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know where you're coming from. This getting older stuff really sucks! Sometimes it feels like I'm just "waiting on the worms to come". I've got doctor visits for the next 3 days. Hang in there.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Just remember that riding doesn't define who you are. It is just an activity that you enjoy and participate in. When I thought I was going to have to give up riding in 2017 I started looking for other ways to fill the time. I enjoy many things, but am passionate about riding.

Hoping for a full recovery and hopefully by the time the COVID vaccine is fully approved by the FDA there will be a new version with less side effects.

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...What I am trying to say is you had a 4 hour ride, something allowed that to happen, you need to figure was it temperature, lack of stress what was different. And like others I am praying for you.
Thanks "inmates" [and Glen] - I BELIEVE I might have figured WHAT my "trigger" is. When my eye is 'leaking tears', some of my eyedrops are in them (dissolved), and I sometimes notice whitish hard deposits on the base of my eyelashes.

I think that by rubbing my eye (which I TRY to avoid), some of those whitish hard deposits get behind my eyelid, and cause the pain and EXTREME tearing which terminates my riding....

My fingers are CROSSED!

·
Registered
Vx300 Don’t fear the Revs!
400 Posts
Best wishes to get better Eddie! We’ll be looking forward to your victory tour pics 👍

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think that by rubbing my eye (which I TRY to avoid), some of those whitish hard deposits get behind my eyelid, and cause the pain and EXTREME tearing which terminates my riding....
BINGO! I have gone though similar problems, also with my left eye, like this. Maybe a riders thing, left eye is closest to the road... It started for me riding bicycle and Ebike without goggles. At one point it got so painful that I thought my retina was detached. The eye doctor said use eyedrops and dont rub, thats it really. And I use goggles on my bicycles to keep the junk out of my eyes. On the Kawi the full face helmut without goggles is okay but because the eye weeps constantly now it is prone to collecting grit. It weeps alot always but I use eyedrops every day regardless.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ed a good friend had a bought with Bell's a few years back. Same thing happened... thought it was stroke. It wasn't but it was definitely a scare. Good news is he's fully back (and has been for some time). It doesn't have an effect on him like it did at first.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey Fasteddiecopeman! Sorry to hear about your temporary setback... Sounds like you have the right attitude - rather, I KNOW you have the right attitude. You're too fast anyway. 😎
Thinking about you.

Pekes1956 aka Richard

·
Registered
484 Posts
Eddie, I am just catching up with the posts. Like all of the other inmates. I wish for you a speedy recovery. Hang in there and hug your wife and appreciate the small stuff.

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I definitely appreciate ALL your positive comments.

(I KNEW there was a reason as to WHY and HOW this is such a good bunch of "inmates"...!)

(y)(y)(y)(y)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts