Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I preface this with...he is a very knowledgeable, avid motorcyclist....but also a die hard Honda owner (CB1100, ST1300)..

So we took off across St Rt 41 towards Washington Court House. Right away I noticed the comfortable ergos. It really is a tall and comfortable perch with sit up and beg ergos. The hand guards worked well, the windshield worked well, mirrors were usable and clear of vibration, transmission shifted well (not as good as the CB imo). The bike was noticeably smoother than his last Versys and it felt really light. The bike really did have plenty of power (as he keeps telling me) but I did miss the abundant torque of the ST. I am such a sucker for liter bike torque. I noticed at 55 mph he was turning over 4000 rpms (which would be 2500 rpms on the ST) even though he said it was geared up a tooth in front. While riding I became very confused. I could ride a bike like this solo, and thoroughly enjoy myself, although honestly I'd hate to give up the big torque and low rpms of the ST. I may have to change my preferences. At Washington CH we traded back, said our goodbyes and he headed north on ST RT 22 while I turned south on the same road. In a couple of weeks I am going to get the opportunity to ride another 650 Suzuki SV, this bike, and maybe the ST (or CB) side by side. Haven't decided which bike to take on the Men's Fall Trip this year. Should be interesting.

Here's a pic of him on it......

·
Registered
873 Posts
There certainly is something to be said for more torque. Nice write up. I look forward to his (3) bike review. He didn't mention if it was the new SV or not. I read an article in last months Cycle World that had good things to say about the re-launched model.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I put 50,000 miles on a ST 1300 in 2.5 years. It is a great bike for munching miles day in and day out.......but it is dated and a heavy pig that is extremely top heavy. It is much easier to lift a Gold Wing off of the side stand than an ST.

I feel like the Versys tours much better than the ST because it's lighter, more nimble, more economical, etc... I am just as comfortable on my Versys as I was on my ST.

Not knocking the ST, as I said it's a great bike......just not for me any longer. I like having a lighter bike to travel with.
Mike

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree....I've had a FJR, and it's a pig also, but when we swapped bikes and I got on the ST I could feel the difference (it's 100 lbs heavier than a FJR with less power)...the other day when we swapped bikes I got on it, and could barley get it off the side stand....not a fan :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts