Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Versys 650
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Versys yesterday, and I did a 500km trip.. As for the vibrations I have been reading about, could not feel a thing. It was a blast to ride :) But there are a few things, and I hope maybe someone can help.

• Is there a way to lift the seat, and maybe lover the pegs? Im 6.2 and it feels a bit short.. From seat to ground it is perfect, but between the seat and the pegs it feels a bit to short.
  • The engine is smooth over 4000rpm, but up to 4000 it feels choppy.. Maybe something is wrong? The bike has only done 26.000km

The bike has been sitting for the last 3 years, the owner have not changed the sparkplugs or airfilter. Might be why it is choppy...?

·
Administrator
8,303 Posts
  • Is there a way to lift the seat, and maybe lover the pegs? Im 6.2 and it feels a bit short.. From seat to ground it is perfect, but between the seat and the pegs it feels a bit to short.
  • Try speedy lowering pegs and there is a simple way to lift the seat about 1'' and smooth out the front drop.

• The engine is smooth over 4000rpm, but up to 4000 it feels choppy.. Maybe something is wrong? The bike has only done 26.000km
  • Normal for 1st generation.

·
Registered
Versys 650
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MotoWerk does not ship to Europe/Norway :-(

I found a seat mod here on the forum :) Printing now, so I will try that out later today.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have this:

Shipping was 50$ for Croatia.

You can contact them via email or facebook, they will answer in 24 hours.
Now is out of stock, but it is worth asking them if it will be available soon and if it is compatible with the first generation V650

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
...Is there a way to lift the seat, and maybe lower the pegs? Im 6.2 and it feels a bit short.. From seat to ground it is perfect, but between the seat and the pegs it feels a bit to short....
I put "motowerk" footpeg lowering blocks [1.3"] on (really opens-up the 'rider-triangle'), and RAISED the front of my seat about 9/16".

DSC09212 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

seat rise1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
389 Posts
Love the grey/silver color! Your helmet balanced on the seat makes me nervous hahahaha.

Another vote for the Motowerk lowering kit. Maybe a member here can help you ship a set if you can't find an alternative.

The seat issue is a common gripe but can be addressed by both raising the front and even shaping the foam if you feel up to it.

The choppy feel up to 4000 is common BUT if your bike needs it, a valve adjustment and/or Throttle Body sync will make it noticeably better.

·
Registered
Versys 650
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the thumbs up on the color.. My buddies think it is a bit 'ordinary' :) The helmet... is an old one, so Im not to worried, but I usually let it sit on the ground.
I have done the seat mod. Nice to have friends with 3D printers close by 😁 Going to work tomorrow, so that is my first test.
As for the Motowerk lowering kit, I have contacted them. I hope they can send to Norway.

The choppy feel up to 4000 is common BUT if your bike needs it, a valve adjustment and/or Throttle Body sync will make it noticeably better.
Throttle Body sync, is that something my local motorcycle workshop can fix? Standard thing?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice work.

Keep in mind with that seat mod, the printed part now supports the entire front weight of the seat, whereas before the weight was supported by the metal tank mount flange. As the printed piece will eventually fail unless you brace it or fill the space between the bottom of the printed piece and the metal below it (red arrow). You can see where the seat was supported before the seat mod; two marks, one on each outside edge of the tank mount (green circles). If possible, you can fabricate a small piece equal to the height of the printed part that will support the seat as it was originally designed. This is optional of course:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Throttle Body sync is a relatively straightforward process; you can find all of the info here on the forum with a few searches and I believe it is also in the service manual. Very similar process to balancing carbs.

Some of us have elected to extend the throttle body vacuum lines to make future syncs very easy.

While you're at it, clean your air filter. Changing the plugs is also a good idea while you're there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice look bike. I have an 08 Versys 650 and I find that there is a harmonic engine vibration in and around 3000 rpm. Above that any vibrations are minimal and in the 5-6000 rpm, which is legal cruising speed on any of the highways in this part of the world, it is smooth. I notice a slight vibration in the mirrors but don't feel anything in the bars. I'm not really sure why the first generation got so many negative comments on the vibration issue as I don't find it a problem and I think it was overdone. Its not perfectly smooth but then it is a motorcycle. I've owned many motorcycles that have had harmonic engine vibration in the cruising range and they were a pain to ride.
In many cases it is the amplitude of the vibrations that is the problem. Most of us will find that faster vibrations will put your hands to sleep and slower is hardly noticeable. A good example of the faster vibes where to be found on the old two stokes that would put your hands to sleep in no time. I put the vibration thing in a similar category as to seats & windshields. Very much a personal thing.

·
Registered
Versys 650
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vibrations is not a problem at all here, it is more the stuttering/choppy feeling under 4000... Anyway, winter is comming, so problems will be solved in the shed :)

But I added a small PUIG clip-on windscreen today, that made a ton of difference when driving on the highway..

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are trying to pull too high a gear at lower rpms, the bike has a tendency to stumble. These bikes are no different than all small displacement bikes, need the revs as they don't develop much torque or hp below 4000 rpm. I think if you use 4-5000 rpm as a normal shift point you'll find that they run better. Yes I also installed a clip on windscreen to my Givi and it helped a lot. With visor down and Givi in its lowest position it is quiet at road speeds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up my Versys yesterday, and I did a 500km trip.. As for the vibrations I have been reading about, could not feel a thing. It was a blast to ride :) But there are a few things, and I hope maybe someone can help.

The bike has been sitting for the last 3 years, the owner have not changed the sparkplugs or airfilter. Might be why it is choppy...?

View attachment 183812
Steve of Shoodaben Engineering, [email protected]> , has developed a flash for the Versys 650 that significantly improves the smoothness and power below 4000 rpm. I had him flash my 2018 and have nothing but happy with the results. I can now let my rpm drift below 3000 rpm and still have a smooth and strong response to throttle application. In addition, the on/off throttle response is gone as well as the severe engine braking. It was a bit of a challenge getting my ECU unit out and then back in again but I got it done following Steve's instructions. - Ernie
Sent: Thursday, July 8, 2021 8:59 AM

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
yes, the flash is great. i am not so much into the lowering foot pegs kid. it is not safe. i prefer the sw motech foot pegs that lower the bike by 15mm.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know that, that's why I asked. It didn't make sense to me. The seat to peg relationship has nothing to do with the height of the seat to the ground. I agree that lowering the pegs opens up the " rider triangle ". Not everybody needs them, but I know at my age, it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2013 v650
313 Posts
yes, the flash is great. i am not so much into the lowering foot pegs kid. it is not safe. i prefer the sw motech foot pegs that lower the bike by 15mm.
Not sure what you mean?? Lowering pegs are unsafe so you installed lower pegs by a different manufacturer, then it is ok. Or am I just missing something in your comment?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts