Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was blown away...didnt expect that much differance from stocK!

dyno.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
The sheet says "BHP". Seems like the stock BHP is around 71-72. Your numbers seems about right for tuner and slip on for BHP. You see 2 sets of numbers floating around, BHP and RWHP. BHP (brake horsepower) is the rating at the output shaft before the loss incurred by the drive train (sprockets, chain, rear wheel, etc) and RWHP (rear wheel horsepower) is hp that is actually transferred to the ground. You can get RWHP from an engine dyno which measures right at the shaft through a "correction" formula and you can get BHP from a rear wheel dyno by also using a "correction" formula.

I'm not sure why they would give you numbers in BHP unless their goal is to inflate the numbers and there by get more "word of mouth" business.

All that aside, did you get before and after numbers from the same dyno on the same day? That will truly tell you and apples to apples comparison of what your mods did for you. Also, what break in method did you use on your bike? The one described in the manual (easy) or a hard break in (sometimes called motoman on forums but that method has been around since before motoman was a twinkle in his daddy's eye)?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Stock is 61 HP. stock torque is 45. You can't go from 61 HP to 76 HP with the mods you made. Observation about BHP made above is correct.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It doesn't make any difference whether you dyno RWHP or BHP for tuning and comparison really so long as its apples to apples.

Meanwhile....yeah...i'd LOVE about 80hp peak with the same curve! Not sure I want to change cams, rework the head, lower the cylinder deck, and bore the throttle body to get there....but i might :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
It doesn't make any difference whether you dyno RWHP or BHP for tuning and comparison really so long as its apples to apples.
It's just that it's really hard to find a dyno to measure BHP, dynos out here in the real world measure RWHP.

EDIT. All I can think, after some research, is that this particular dyno is measuring RWHP and then adding 25% onto it to be able to say the BHP is 76.67. It's also adding about 15% to the RWTorque number.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
All I can think, after some research, is that this particular dyno is measuring RWHP and then adding 25% onto it to be able to say the BHP is 76.67. It's also adding about 15% to the RWTorque number.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant by "correction formula" in one of the above posts.
Every shop that dyno tunes uses a rear wheel dyno. The software and printouts are different as there are several manufacturers of dynos.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Stock BHP is rated at 64 @ 8000 rpm, and 45 ft-lbs @ 6800 rpm.
64 BHP / 1.25 = 51.2 WHP
76.67 BHP / 1.25 = 61.336 WHP

"Expect your HP numbers to be around 12-17% lower with our dynamometer when compared to inertia-type dynes commonly used in magazines and at other shops."

61.336 / 0.88 = (12% lower than) 69.7 WHP on inertia-type dyno
61.336 / 0.83 = (17% lower than) 73.9 WHP on inertia type dyno

·
Registered
243 Posts
some interesting" product description" right off the factory pro website:

"The new 2010 EC997 dyne systems
Steady State Testing
Inertia Sweep Testing
Quick Sweep Test for inflated djhp sort of numbers"

djhp=Dynojet hp for comparison to dynojet type dynos

Also, I read on that site somewhere (I can't find it now because it's so hard to read through all the mumbo jumbo and double talk ramblings of someone with obvious signs of ADHD) that they sell a couple versions of that dyno, with "low inertia" or "high inertia" setups. The "low inertia" units give higher hp ratings than the "high inertia units." It is interesting to note that most of the "tuning locations" they list on the website have "low inertia" units, including the one on creeper's ticket. Imagine that. It's kinda funny how the site rambles on and on about how other dyno companies "inflate" their numbers considering creeper's ticket and their own comments on their own equipment.

BTW Creeper....none of this is bashing on you. I hope you don't take it as such.

·
Registered
219 Posts
BTW Creeper....none of this is bashing on you. I hope you don't take it as such.
Agreed to that, I just wanted him to know that with the mods he made, he's still only making stock HP and TQ numbers, MAYBE 10% more than stock but not "I was blown away...didnt expect that much differance from stocK!"

·
Registered
287 Posts
what mods were done because with your cams that HP # is pretty far off.

i have a slip on
PCV with auto tune
air box mod
on a 2009 650r and i went from 63 hp stock
to 70.59 withe the right tunning

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
what mods were done because with your cams that HP # is pretty far off.
I don't think he has any cams or motor work, just exhaust and FI tuner box.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Seems to me that RWHP is just BHP measured at the rear wheel. From what I have read over the years (toooo many of them??) chain final drive systems lose closer to 10% between crankshaft and rear wheel, while shafties lose in the low to mid teen percentages. Transmissions that use an intermediary shaft to transmit power to the rear wheel lose a bit more than one that just locks up one to one in the highest gear.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jcstratt – Never got stock numbers. Break in method was as per manual. Dealer did oil change @ 605.

I don’t feel bashed :), good discussion!

whent to this shop with a buddy who has a zx14, there was an event with a dyno shoot out. He got 2nd place.

·
Registered
243 Posts
whent to this shop with a buddy who has a zx14, there was an event with a dyno shoot out. He got 2nd place.
Ah, that's cool then. That means you didn't pay for it right? :-D

Seems to me that RWHP is just BHP measured at the rear wheel. From what I have read over the years (toooo many of them??) chain final drive systems lose closer to 10% between crankshaft and rear wheel, while shafties lose in the low to mid teen percentages. Transmissions that use an intermediary shaft to transmit power to the rear wheel lose a bit more than one that just locks up one to one in the highest gear.
Pretty much. There is always loss of some degree through the primary drive, transmission, clutch, and final drive. The exact amount varies from machine to machine and the 10% numbers are a "rule of thumb". If I recall, it's more like 20% in automobiles. Just about every dyno paper I've seen for the V shows 61-64hp. With slip on and FI tuner 64-66hp if that. A good set of cams, shortened deck height, full exhaust, FI Tuner, airbox mods, bored throttle bodies, and ported heads will net 80-84hp. Pair that 84hp with Martin's 14 tooth front sprocket and look out! LOL

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, that's cool then. That means you didn't pay for it right? :-D

$10 to enter, normally its $50. I didnt expect to win, just wanted to see what it would run.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I dyno'd mine a few weeks back, and got just under 61HP at the rear wheel.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dyno'd mine a few weeks back, and got just under 61HP at the rear wheel.
That's pretty much the accepted number at the wheel, it's a solid number.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts