Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dropped my dog off for ACL surgery (TPLO for those who know) this morning. What a horrible thing to have to do first thing in the morning. When I handed the leash off to the vet tech she literally had to drag him into the back to be prepped. I felt my heart stop watching him disappear around the corner. As she dragged him away, he pulled toward me and looked straight into my eyes the whole time as if to say "please help me", I swear I almost ran and snatched him back from her. That was the most draining experience I've had in a long time. Damn!
Good thing is, I just got the call, he went through surgery fine and is sleeping it off. Tomorrow we pick him up and then starts the dreaded, never ending, recovery and rehab period. Anyone who's gone through the rehab of TPLO knows it's a life changing event that never seems to end. We had to have TPLO surgery on our last dog about 10 years ago so the good thing is, I already know what to expect, the bad thing is, I already know what to expect.
Anyway, I'll still be glad to see him tomorrow, raw chicken leg and all.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Boy I'm with you on this one! Glad your best friend is ok! :thumb:

I went into an ice cover river to save my dog who broke through. I got to her but dam near drown myself. I'd do it again! She was looking right me. I loved that dog!

Than four year ago a buddies dog broke through the ice. A bunch of us had a fire going on the bank the dog stuggled and my friend started to panic. The dogs head started to go under water. So like a dumb [email protected]# I jumped in and broke ice all the way out to the dog grabbed him and pulled him to shore. I needed help getting out of the river and was frozen. :eek:

The even dumber part was I jumped into the water with my phone in my pocket. :(

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I went into an ice cover river to save my dog who broke through. I got to her but dam near drown myself. I'd do it again! She was looking right me. I loved that dog!

Than four year ago a buddies dog broke through the ice. A bunch of us had a fire going on the bank the dog stuggled and my friend started to panic. The dogs head started to go under water. So like a dumb [email protected]# I jumped in and broke ice all the way out to the dog grabbed him and pulled him to shore. I needed help getting out of the river and was frozen. :eek:

The even dumber part was I jumped into the water with my phone in my pocket. :(
If I were there, you would've had help, there's no way I could stand and watch a dog go down.
I've said it before and I absolutely mean it, "Dogs are what people should strive to be".
Every once in awhile you should ask yourself, "what would my dog do" just to see if you're on track.

The cell phone, I'm not worried about, many a day I've wanted to chuck it in a lake.

·
Registered
383 Posts
MTS you did what needed to be done without thinking. Saved a friend.

Ray Glad to hear He's going to be ok. He still loves you, no matter what.:goodluck:

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dog is a thief. She took my favorite chair, steals my spot in bed, and even stole a few steaks off my plate. Wouldn't trade her for the world though. Dogs are great friends.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked him up yesterday. Aside from the occasional grunt or whine he is doing pretty good. My wife and I will be swapping babysitting days for the next couple of weeks. No running, playing or jumping and very little walking for a few weeks. We've turned our office into a kennel and that's where we will all live until he's OKed to walk off leash.
Here's his chicken leg, bruised and swollen from the bone work and stitches. Cold compresses and range of movement exercises for a few days and things should start looking better. He's not really putting any weight on it yet (to be expected) but I have seen him toe touch which is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts