Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to North Central PA for STPR. An awesome camping/racing weekend. An all bike weekend. It was a HD Road King, my Versys and a GS650.

If you are ever in the area, check out Route 87 and 154. They are some of the best roads I've ever ridden. We camped at Hills Creek State Park. Campsite:

The first stage of racing was back a dirt state forest road a few miles. We all made it back okay and watched the cars come through. If you are into the outdoors and racing I definitely recommend checking out a rally race sometime.

After that stage we thought we would ride to the next one. On the way it started to rain, not the shower that I expected but a steady, hard, cold rain. (Side Note: Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 Jacket is as waterproof as a colander) We started up the state forest road to the parking area. The roads were very muddy and the water was streaming down the low areas. Without any wiggle or warning whatsoever my bike was down on the right side and my g/f and I were sliding on the muddy road.

Pictured from Left to Right: Bent (Versys), Bruised (Me), Bloodied (G/F)

We were both wearing sneakers which I rarely ever do while riding. I installed the SW Motech Crash bars a few months earlier. They did a great job absorbing the impact and protecting both the engine and my legs. I also put the soft bags on. I didn't really need them on for storage but for some reason put them on just for this reason. There was a nice space between the crash bars, bags, bike and ground for our legs. Versys got a little muddy...

The worst part was that the brake lever was twisted 180° but we kicked it back into a rough shape that was usable to get back to the campsite. This was the lever *after straightening. I couldn't believe how bad it was and my foot/ankle was fine.

My custom highway peg mounts and the pegs themselves didn't fare so well. They were twisted up beyond the point of fixing, but didn't break which I was kind of proud of.

Tank was a bit scratched, bar end was scratched and muddy. Mirror got a little scratched as well. The handlebars did end up a little bent but not terribly so.

Was a fun adventure... good story and didn't affect the beautiful riding in that area...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bro was on the Harley and yes he did go down the same roads. The difference is that I was leading so I hit the slippery spot first. He laid his bike down last year at the same event in a muddy field.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts