Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Is this the one you guys have? Hawkerjet, is yours the smoke color? I'm going to order one but several online supplies are out of stock. I am torn between the MRA and the Puig windscreens. Thanks!
https://www.solomotoparts.com/MRA-Touring-Screen-Windshield-Versys-650-17-18/
Yep that's the one. Mine is smoke color.

Something else to consider between Puig and MRA. MRA uses a different material than Puig.

I have had Puig screen's in the past until a buddy had a low speed crash and his Puig screen shattered into long sharp knife like shards. When I saw that I was done with Puig screens.

MRA uses a different material that does not break into dangerous shrapnel like the Puig.

Also my experience with the two is that MRA consistently has better wind protection and smoother flow than the comparable sized Puig.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Appreciate the input man. Good to know about the material. Reviews on the online stores for the Puig are very good, but not so great on this forum. Leaning towards the MRA. They both look nice but I do like the look of the Puig a little more and I am getting hung up on that. Anyone have any idea how the Puig compares in size to the MRA?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Something else to consider between Puig and MRA. MRA uses a different material than Puig.

I have had Puig screen's in the past until a buddy had a low speed crash and his Puig screen shattered into long sharp knife like shards. When I saw that I was done with Puig screens.

MRA uses a different material that does not break into dangerous shrapnel like the Puig.
I can corroborate this with personal experience as I have the MRA on my 2011 v650. Took a low speed spill recently and much of the impact was on the handlebar end and the right side of the windscreen. The windscreen merely chipped at the edge - minor cosmetic damage. Based on my past windscreens, I'm pretty sure they all would have broken into pieces.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The thing with screens is they disrupt the laminar airflow causing turbulence which tends to hit somewhere between your chest and the top of your helmet. So you go with either no screen or very short one so the smooth air hits you from your pot belly and up. Or install a very tall one that puts all the turbulence over the top of your helmet.

Thinking your screen is causing buffeting, noise, or turbulence?... just remove it and take a ride. You will be amazed at how smooth the air flow is. One problem with a small or no screen is the wind wants to blow you off the bike when you get north of 80 or so. The flip side is you will freeze your ass off in the winter months.

Wow, never thought about the idea that a shorter screen where the air hits you in the chest might be better than a tall screen. Can't even remember right now what I put on from the aftermarket, but for this summer I might go back to the stock screen in hopes the air hits me in the chest and cools me off. Then next "winter" I will look at the MRA. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The thing with screens is they disrupt the laminar airflow causing turbulence which tends to hit somewhere between your chest and the top of your helmet. So you go with either no screen or very short one so the smooth air hits you from your pot belly and up. Or install a very tall one that puts all the turbulence over the top of your helmet.

Thinking your screen is causing buffeting, noise, or turbulence?... just remove it and take a ride. You will be amazed at how smooth the air flow is. One problem with a small or no screen is the wind wants to blow you off the bike when you get north of 80 or so. The flip side is you will freeze your ass off in the winter months.

Wow, never thought about the idea that a shorter screen where the air hits you in the chest might be better than a tall screen. Can't even remember right now what I put on from the aftermarket, but for this summer I might go back to the stock screen in hopes the air hits me in the chest and cools me off. Then next "winter" I will look at the MRA. Thanks for the tip.
I have experimented with lowering the stock shield with no luck. I did several experiments ok my KLR and found a taller more "straight up and down" shield worked best. No shield in the versys is smooth, but not sure it it's my helmet or what it still seems loud. I'm hoping the MRA or Puig will be my answer to end the buffeting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
FWIW, I have the same model - MRA Touring screen - on my 2011 and the air hits me right in the middle of the chest, and everything shoulders and above is in the airflow. I am 6'3" though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
FWIW, I have the same model - MRA Touring screen - on my 2011 and the air hits me right in the middle of the chest, and everything shoulders and above is in the airflow. I am 6'3" though.
Wow, that's crazy. Must be quite a bit different on the 2011 for it to hit you in the chest. Sounds like it must be shorter or something.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have one too and love it. I got the wing thingie on the top, which I think extends wind protection another few inches. Best windshield I have found yet. I got a California Scientific one, and even though its a big as a snow shovel, I like this one better.

CAL SCI shield is for sale. Any takers??? Used a few times, good shape.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have one too and love it. I got the wing thingie on the top, which I think extends wind protection another few inches.
That's the MRA Vario Touring Screen. I have that one as well as the regular Touring Screen being discussed here - the spoiler on the Vario makes for a very different experience than the regular version. The Vario does get more wind off my body, but I get a lot of turbulence around my helmet with it and so I personally prefer the regular one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the MRA (non-vario) windscreen on order for my '18 Versys LT, won't be here for a few more weeks. looking forward to getting it mounted and trying it out.
-X

·
Registered
131 Posts
Interesting - I got the Vario, I am 6 feet tall wearing size 30 jeans. At the highest position the air flow just hits the top of my helmet.

While the airflow is improved over the stock, I still have some air hitting the helmet. I usually ride with my face shield up, and that is what grabs the air.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Finally got my MRA touring (non vario) nice looking windscreen, but pretty disappointed with performance. I'm 5'9" with 32" inseam. I have a 16 versys and a seat concepts seat. In the lowest position the buffeting is pretty bad. In the highest position it's better but no better than stock. In fact I'm going to put the stock shield back on tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure the buffeting is worse than stock. The Puig touring screen I had was better than the MRA but neither I would say are great. The search continues for me at least...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Finally got my MRA touring (non vario) nice looking windscreen, but pretty disappointed with performance. I'm 5'9" with 32" inseam. I have a 16 versys and a seat concepts seat. In the lowest position the buffeting is pretty bad. In the highest position it's better but no better than stock. In fact I'm going to put the stock shield back on tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure the buffeting is worse than stock. The Puig touring screen I had was better than the MRA but neither I would say are great. The search continues for me at least...
Wow that is surprising to hear. I am the same height as you and run mine in the highest position most of the time. I like to ride with my face shield slightly open and with the screen up the wind at high speed does not shut it. In the lowest position when I hit around 65 mph the wind closes my face shield.

You mention buffeting. Do you mean helmet buffeting or just general disturbed airflow over the body?

If you are talking helmet buffeting, I am wondering if your helmet type is contributing? I ride with an Icon Airmada and there is very little buffeting.

Zero buffeting on a sport style bike with their smallish screens is not a reality. It that is your goal then you need a touring bike with a giant wind screen. Just saying.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Butch 1581, I’m the same height and inseam as you, stock seat on a ‘15 LT.

I run the stock shield with one of those clip on wind deflectors (Chinese knock off). Shield at max height.

For me, it made a huge improvement with wind buffeting and noise. Not perfect, but for $30, i’m not complaining. Might be worth trying.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Installed a new MRA touring screen. It's a nice size being a bit wider at the top and a bit taller than the stocker.

I was not interested in a monster screen or a vario unit. Just wanted a tad more wind protection for the cold winter rides.

You can definitely feel the better protection, and it allows me to ride with my shield open all the way to about 85 mph before the wind shuts it. At the middle position my shield will stay open to north of 100 mph.

It's a nice upgrade for $106.

The 2nd to last pic is the eye level view over the screen with it in the low position.
I like that one a lot Hawkerjet. I like the fact its not TOO tall but you say it does the job. How tall are you BTW?
I also like the extra width which would help and looks good too. $106 is a steal

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I like that one a lot Hawkerjet. I like the fact its not TOO tall but you say it does the job. How tall are you BTW?
I also like the extra width which would help and looks good too. $106 is a steal
I'm 5 foot 10 inches.

MRA makes a great screen. I had on on my FZ09 and it was great too.

They have figured out how to make a very effective screen that looks nice too.

Another bonus is the type of material they use. Should you crash it does not shatter into knife like shards like other shields tend to do. It breaks apart more like automobile safety glass.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts