Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what mileage others were getting?

I'm only averaging low 40's on my versys. Two weeks ago I only got 34 mpg. I thought I would be averaging around 50.

·
Registered
94 Posts
At least you got 34mpg. I got 0mpg in December, January and February. Damn winter.
Remember to calculate MPG is divide #miles/#gallons_of_gas

#miles = 0
#gallons_of_gas = 0

MPG = infinity :thumb:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I might get 35, but then again, I have this problem with my right wrist...It seems to want to turn the grip to the full on position :D....Can't stop it ;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
50+ usually. But if you take off hard from every stop and run above highway speeds look for it to be in the 30's. Mileage goes down but grins go up.

If your bike isn't broken in yet your mileage should improve afterwards.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use my bike for commuting everyday and I'm pretty easy on the throttle. I drive about 70-75 mph, all freeway.

My very first tank full I got 51 mpg. I've never been able to duplicate that as hard as I try. Got over 5k miles on the bike now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I get between 43-48 mpg with mixture of city/highway commute to work. Haven't been on a strictly long highway trip yet. Have one planned this spring. Between the highway miles and larger front sprocket I recently installed, I expect mileage to be in mid 50's. I'm pretty easy on the throttle.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Other than your right wrist, your weight, how tall (more wind resistance), tire pressures, head/tail winds, and how smooth your ride, average speed etc etc. I get around 45mpg (US gallon), 34 seems a bit low, but think of it this way, if you were on a bigger bike it would be even worse!

Machog

·
Super Moderator
19,450 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you haven't seen this site, I think you're going to like it:

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/versys

You create a login and set up your vehicles, then you use the site as your log when you fill up. It keeps all your stats for you, and best of all lets you compare against everyone else with your same model.

When I fill up, I always enter my trip, gallons used, and price per gallon on my phone. Just make it a habit. They also have a mobile version of the site for phones. You can bookmark the fillup page on the homescreen of an iPhone too, and it basically becomes an app.

·
Registered
180 Posts
first off 0/0 is undefined not infinity. Anyways, i drive 50/50 highway and backroads and i average 56. high 63 low 52. I fill up around 200 miles and the fuel indicator isnt even on yet.:thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
While breaking in my engine and commuting I've averaged 49 mpg.

Now that I'm at the tail end of the break-in I'm curious to see if I drop to low 40's or so.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My best was 53 mpg, then I put a Givi windshield on and added soft bags, switched to a 16 tooth front sprocket. Most of my riding is in 6th gear at 65 mph and I get about 47mpg. If you idle till the rpm's drop on warm up, and run over 5,000 rpm's all the time, I expect you will never get over 45 mpg.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you changed your sprocket size then don't you need to change your math since your odometer is about 6% off?

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you changed your sprocket size then don't you need to change your math since your odometer is about 6% off?
??? Unless he changed the size of the front wheel, it should still cover the same distance per revolution, regardless of the sprocket size.

I'd expect the sprocket to affect the RPM's at a given speed, but not the odometer.

Dave C

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
??? Unless he changed the size of the front wheel, it should still cover the same distance per revolution, regardless of the sprocket size.

I'd expect the sprocket to affect the RPM's at a given speed, but not the odometer.

Dave C

That's interesting. I always thought that the speedometer and odometer run off the same cable. But yet guys are saying that by changing the sprocket size, it will correct the speedometer reading.

If that's true then will it "correct" the odometer reading? Anyone ever check how accurate the odometer is with gps?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts