Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, after 4 very enjoyable years and 32,000km (wish it was more...) I finally switched bikes, next on the list is a 2013 F800GS with all the bells and whistles. Got a decent deal on a BMW Canada demo model with 240km on it.

The decision was not easy, but I guess i wanted something new and a bit different, but still in the same style of bike (more or less). It is not without some anxiety - I really enjoy the V, and hoping the BMW is going to be as fun with a bit more off road capability without compromising the fun on the twisties. So far so good!

I continue to maintain the Versys is one of the best bikes in its class on the market, and would continue to recommend it, despite now going to the dark side...:)

If its ok with you guys i may continue to lurk on the forum...and for the local guys in the Ottawa area am I still invited if a local ride gets set up??!!:thumb:

All the Best. Take note i have a list of farkles on sale in the for sale column.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
All the best and Ive always got a soft spot for the GS as the GS 650 single thumper was my previous bike,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, TwoWheels that was probably my V at the Goodtime Center - did they put a price on it yet? Kinda curious as i traded it in (obviously...).

So you are one of the persons I am hoping did not redline a brand new bike!:eek: Mine is white - it had off road tires but i switched the tires (and wheels) and seat with another blue demo they had. Got the BMW Comfort seat for an additional $125. Figured that was a cheap experiment before springing for the $500 Corbin which i was expected to have to do...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you asked....800GS first impressions in comparison to the Versys:

-84 hp is noticeable, but the V continues to be surprisingly peppy beyond its spec!
-Suspension. The 800 has ESA and I am loving the "Comfort" mode. Floats over stuff that gave my spine a jolt on the V, without losing any real road feel. The 800 (unlike the 1200GS) only has adjustment on the rear end, but it is still very noticeable.
-Even taller than the V. I have the BMW Comfort Seat which perches you up even more. Will take some getting used to.
-Gadgets - heated grips (great when you buy a new bike in November in Ottawa!), ESA, computer with fuel economy readout etc. All fun stuff, not essential but what the heck...
-Way better off road and on rough stuff - can tackle rough roads with more comfort and confidence. I think it will regularly get dirtier than the V typically did, although I never shied away from rough stuff on the V.
-The 800 needs to be "worked" a bit more in the twisties, but so far just as fun - just need to adapt.
-Not able to explore the higher RPM range of the 800 yet (trying to keep at or below 5000rpm for a bit yet...). Engine seems a bit "buzzier" at higher speeds than the V - seen to be a GS trait I understand.
-800 seems more "substantial" - makes sense, larger in all respects.
-No longer get snobby looks from my wife and friend who both have BMW GS's....not that that really bothered me....
-800 really feels like more of a "go anywhere" machine.
-More to come as experience grows....but will maintain I will never bad mouth the V!

·
Super Moderator
19,780 Posts
...So you are one of the persons I am hoping did not redline a brand new bike!:eek:...
THAT is what the rev-limiter is (was???) for...!

Good luck!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Now it is 2 1/2 years later, how are you enjoying the F800GS?

I keep flirting with the idea of a GS and wonder how they compare long term.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Turnbud's last activity here was 25 March 2014, I don't think you'll get an answer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts