Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
There were NO BEERS in the case while riding in the desert. PAVEMENT only until back home to unload them.
Good point! I had a tall boy in my pannier for the end of the day on a trip. The day was hot and the last stretch of road to the campsite was rough. My overheated beer got shaken and leaked all over my stuff. I still drank it though!

Registered
Another for the KLR shuffle!
Even standing on the footpeg I have trouble bending my little leg far enough to get it over the seat.
5'7" with short legs
One of my big dreams is to have a bike that I can actually mount the traditional way, and get more than the tips of my toes on the ground.

Registered
2016 650LT
I wonder how people mount up on their bikes, not just left or right/MC cop side, but how they swing their leg over the rear of this tail of this tall bike. For those with a trunk, I really wonder.
Background of Bike: 2015 650 with a Moto Werk lowering kit and bike leveled at the triple clamp.
Me: 5'10'', 32" pant inseam, but I have a physical challenge with one leg (left) shorter and the left significantly weaker than the right.
I've ridden most of my life, and just mounted from the right side, as its my stronger leg side.
I'm nearly 60, and am challenged to get my leg over the back of the bike. I tried mounting from the left/clutch side peg, with left foot on peg, not ground, and swinging over from there, but that felt squirrelly.
So, what do you do? Stand on a box? Lower the tire pressure to 5psi? Get a running start and leap? Mount from a curb (I dont have them at my place)?
Any useful suggestion would be appreciated, but, please dont suggest I ride a scooter. :censored:
I'm not ready for that yet. Thanks
I have arthritis in my hips from an old break. So I leave it on the side stand, and place left foot on foot peg, and the put right leg over with bent knee. I too have the lowering kit. I also have a 32鈥 inseam. Best wishes!

Registered
I'm 60yr old, 5'6", 29" inseam and after 8hrs on my feet @ Costco (I'm a Pharmacist), my legs don't want to bend much, but here's how I mount my Veresys x-300, much to the entertainment of the kids wrangling carts:from left side, turn bars all the way to the right, activate front brake (or the bike will move forward off the sidestand and onto the concrete, that's that entertainment part I mentioned...), lean forward with chest nearly on or on the back top of tank, now get right leg over that sky-high seat and onto the right peg.

When I had a KLX250 with a milk crate on the rear rack, I would do a front leg kick and with a hop on the left leg get that right leg over the seat and onto the peg. Don't have to hold the brake for that one, but if you kick the tank hard enough, entertainment ensues.

Costco has lots of curbing & using the curb when I can isn't macho or cool...but it's better than having 5 kids run over to see if the Pharmacist broke his *#( getting on the mo-chine!

Registered
Petite woman who has mastered getting on and off the r1250GS -

I have a 30" inseam but stretching due to back issues has allowed me to swing my right leg high enough to clear the seat even with the top box on.

Registered
Alot of geezers on this thread! I'm 65 and 5 foot 8. I use this tall bike problem as a reason to do a variety of leg stretching daily. Its also true that your vertical height decreases as you age later in life. I hang from a bar to stretch the body core compression out which contributes to a bad back. Then a few pullups or pushups. This helps when you inevitably try and hold your tall bike from going over at the tipping point . Or have to lift it back up solo. But it doesn't get any easier as the years pass. Motorcycling is really not good for the body but its great for the mind. I still play tennis, hike, ski, bicycle etc. The day I stop stretching will be the day I have to stop these activities and my lifetime of injuries will come back to haunt me.
Totally agree JL (y) :cool:
Doing stretch exercises is a very good idea...

If you decide to go down that path read up on stretching exercises first... there is the good way
and there is the bad and painful and potentially injurious way.

My two cents on stretching:

1. Warm up first... be in a warm to hot environment. Do some gentle star jumps and burpees.
2. When you have held a stretch for the designated time span, DON'T just immediately unstretch....
very gradually unstretch... this is important particularly as one ages.

Stretching will of course make you more limber, but it will make you stronger, faster and
healthier in mind as well as body. As does most physical exercise.

Having said all that, when I have a gear sack on the pillion seat
I use the left foot peg as a step (with the side stand down of course)
holding the handle bar grips and mount the same way one mounts a horse.

Registered
Fellow geezer here. 66 yrs old 5' 11" - I also approach from the left side, have quite a few scrape marks on the seat from sliding my boot over the seat. Also try to stretch regularly so I can continue to ride motorcycles!

Registered
2017 V1K
A little off-topic, but at 65, I picked up daily yoga practice. Now there is a lot of woo-woo nonsense that goes with yoga. I just tune the silly out and focus on the mechanics, which includes the breathing and slow deliberate movements. It's good for balance, strength and a little cardio-vascular. I supplement that with walking or slow-jogging (slow-jogging is a thing and good for us geezers) I've had two back surgeries and I've been able to keep back pain and mobility nearly normal by focusing on core and back strength and staying limber.
You can find on-line classes easily on YouTube.
I don't do this stuff just for motorcycle riding, but it does improve my riding, including ease of mounting. I ride two up the majority of the time and find I need to let my passenger mount on the V1k first, then I do a right leg "hurdle" over the seat. The yoga helps with that.

Registered
The key word. I do "yoga like" stretching but the entire discipline of this ancient art is the real deal. Proper breathing is super important also and not just for relaxing your muscles. Timing your breathing cycle for exertion and rest like a weight lifter does avoids hernias for instance. Same for situps, pullups etc. When you look at the body of a yoga practitioner you will see the proof is in the pudding. Thats a real body, like a swimmer. Nowadays you routinely hear that pro athletes will extend their playing careers with yoga. I cross train also, as in not playing singles tennis two days in a row which is hard on an old body. Day between I might cycle or blade. Or ride my Kawi on a day trip to a lake and swim! Yoga is really good also for people who feel that they aren't athletic and lack that intuitive "listening" to their body. Learning the discipline and working your amount of stretch bit by bit. For geezers, its about the quality of life. For motorcycle geezers, think of it as proper maintenance!

Super Moderator
I find that drinking beer from a HAND-HELD bottle, rather than from a glass (which can be 'set-down' regularly), really leads to enhanced bodily-mechanics ) tho' my wife would probably DISAGREE...)!

;)

Registered
" I tried mounting from the left/clutch side peg, with left foot on peg, not ground, and swinging over from there, but that felt squirrelly (sic)."

Ironically, squirrels are remarkably agile:
It seems the "Researchers" are ignorant of squirrels being colour blind.

Registered
"A case of beer contains 24 12-ounce vessels of brew no matter where you are. Anyone who says otherwise is mistaken."

That's not a case of beer 12 oz is only 354ml its only half a case :)
In Ireland we don't do little toy cans like that
24 cans x500ml is the norm here :) try fit that in the top box

( did not realise you need to click insert quote button ) to quote the post from leftbrain99

Registered
I wonder how people mount up on their bikes, not just left or right/MC cop side, but how they swing their leg over the rear of this tail of this tall bike. For those with a trunk, I really wonder.
Background of Bike: 2015 650 with a Moto Werk lowering kit and bike leveled at the triple clamp.
Me: 5'10'', 32" pant inseam, but I have a physical challenge with one leg (left) shorter and the left significantly weaker than the right.
I've ridden most of my life, and just mounted from the right side, as its my stronger leg side.
I'm nearly 60, and am challenged to get my leg over the back of the bike. I tried mounting from the left/clutch side peg, with left foot on peg, not ground, and swinging over from there, but that felt squirrelly.
So, what do you do? Stand on a box? Lower the tire pressure to 5psi? Get a running start and leap? Mount from a curb (I dont have them at my place)?
Any useful suggestion would be appreciated, but, please dont suggest I ride a scooter. :censored:
@55 and a short 5ft 7 with 30in leg & the Lust Racing Lowering link fitted
I usually also stand on left peg and throw my right leg over :) J

Registered
I got another way. from the left side... standing close but facing away from the bike. grab the left handlebar with your right hand. that will steady you as you bend forward at the waist. now kick your right foot up on the seat. as you stand up and turn to face the bike, switch hands on the bar. the calf of your right leg is on the seat. all you joints moved in the normal direction, and didn't have to go far

Registered
At 75 with a 30" inseam, that is quite a challenge, never mounted from the right occasionally get off that side.
I have installed a lowering block, on the rear shock, recommendation was to drop the front correspondingly, but didn 't I like the bit slower steering. I'm one who swings a leg over the back, made a bit more difficult with the trunk bag, but still doable. What does help, is to place a foot on the left peg and raise yourself up a bit prior to swinging the leg over. Much like a horse rider would do with the stirrup. Just make damn sure the kickstand is on solid ground. I welded a lager washer to mine which works just as well on hot asphalt too.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts