Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how people mount up on their bikes, not just left or right/MC cop side, but how they swing their leg over the rear of this tail of this tall bike. For those with a trunk, I really wonder.
Background of Bike: 2015 650 with a Moto Werk lowering kit and bike leveled at the triple clamp.
Me: 5'10'', 32" pant inseam, but I have a physical challenge with one leg (left) shorter and the left significantly weaker than the right.
I've ridden most of my life, and just mounted from the right side, as its my stronger leg side.
I'm nearly 60, and am challenged to get my leg over the back of the bike. I tried mounting from the left/clutch side peg, with left foot on peg, not ground, and swinging over from there, but that felt squirrelly.
So, what do you do? Stand on a box? Lower the tire pressure to 5psi? Get a running start and leap? Mount from a curb (I dont have them at my place)?
Any useful suggestion would be appreciated, but, please dont suggest I ride a scooter. :censored:
I'm not ready for that yet. Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well, I sometimes have hip cramps. So I can relate a bit i guess.
When I had my V650 or my current V1K. I would either swing my leg over. Or have the bike on center stand and climb on stepping on the pegs and then step up and over. Or if the ground is pretty level. Depending on your weight. If you have a larger foot pad on your kickstand. You can also mount carefully on the peg. Just as long as you keep your weight over the bike. I’m sure others will chime in. Where there is a will. There is a way. Good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do what you describe, left foot on left peg, stand on peg then swing right leg over the seat. Works well on the V650. Not sure if this will help but I have a kickstand pad installed which, for me, makes the bike a whole lot more stable when not on pavement. Good for you for not giving up on the V650!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use this solution and it is best for me:

But I change little for me and I use this solution when I have top case, or something other on passenger place + top case.
Push left side of handlebar all way (like on video) . Your left foot set parallel with foot rest, or you place little closer to side stand (you find place which are best for you.)
Bend your right leg at the knee and lift it back.
With your right hand, grab your lower part of leg or pants and raise your leg with your hand enough to be at a height above the seat.
On your left foot you rotate little so that your right foot crosses the seat , and that’s it.

I never try this way but from right side of motorbike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I stand next to the bike lift my right foot over the front of the seat and having my foot over the bike I pivot and sit down. I need to do some stretching. I , if you pardon the expression can't get my leg over. My tendons are too short.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I hold onto the left grip with my left hand and lift my right foot up and so that the back of my boot rests on the seat. Then I slide my leg across the seat while reaching for the right grip.

You might have to lose the trunk, or trade for a bike with a lower seat height.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m 70, with bad hips, so I stand on the left peg and swing my leg over, on all my bikes. Except for the 125cc dirt bike, which I lean over, get on, then stand it up.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I hold onto the left grip with my left hand and lift my right foot up and so that the back of my boot rests on the seat. Then I slide my leg across the seat while reaching for the right grip.

You might have to lose the trunk, or trade for a bike with a lower seat height.
This is my technique as well. At 75 and owner of an artificial hip, my only difference is that I will sometimes grab the cuff of my right leg to "assist" the leg in resting on the seat. Then I slide across the saddle and am ready to ride (after doing all my other pre-ride checklist stuff). It works for me; I don't feel comfortable stepping on the left foot peg to mount because I can't convince myself the peg was designed to bear heavy weight repeatedly.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Alot of geezers on this thread! I'm 65 and 5 foot 8. I use this tall bike problem as a reason to do a variety of leg stretching daily. Its also true that your vertical height decreases as you age later in life. I hang from a bar to stretch the body core compression out which contributes to a bad back. Then a few pullups or pushups. This helps when you inevitably try and hold your tall bike from going over at the tipping point . Or have to lift it back up solo. But it doesn't get any easier as the years pass. Motorcycling is really not good for the body but its great for the mind. I still play tennis, hike, ski, bicycle etc. The day I stop stretching will be the day I have to stop these activities and my lifetime of injuries will come back to haunt me.

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
When I rode a KLR I learned to do the "KLR SHUFFLE" - bike on sidestand, from LEFT side lift the RIGHT leg so it looks like a 'hurdles' manuevre going ABOVE the seat, then HOP on the left as your right leg advances OVER the seat, until you can rest your butt on the saddle.

An easier one: mount from RIGHT - bike on sidestand, RIGHT foot onto right 'peg and holding rear brakes ON while leaning over so that your left hand holds the front brakes ON, then lift your left foot UP and OVER. Initially you'll feel as tho' the bike will fall to the right but THAT is the "WHY" of leaning left while applying front brakes, so maybe try it w/ a buddy to ensure the bike doesn't fall to the right (it WON'T!).

:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sneaking up on 60, but still quite agile and flexible thankfully. On my V650 and KLR it's the exact same routine every time. Left foot on left peg, swing the right leg over while bent sharply. (Will grab my pant cuff sometimes if I'm not feeling too spry). As I sit down I grab the front brake and use my shifting weight to rock the bike off of the side-stand to 'centre-balanced position' with both feet on the ground. Simple, quick, painless, and if I may say so, I look damn cool doing it all in one fluid motion. :cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
As I sit down I grab the front brake and use my shifting weight to rock the bike off of the side-stand to 'centre-balanced position' with both feet on the ground. Simple, quick, painless, and if I may say so, I look damn cool doing it all in one fluid motion. :cool:
I did that once. With the bike loaded for a party weekend camping. Full gas tank, camping gear, case of beer, etc. Only thing was the pavement was much lower on the right side of the bike... The bike was upright and my right foot was dangling in the air! By the time the bike had leaned over far enough for my right foot to touch, I was too far over and couldn’t stop the bike from continuing to lean. I was able to lower it in a “controlled fashion” onto its right side. Boy did I feel silly! Lifting it back up was done quickly with adrenaline...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What a wonderful outpouring of suggestions and advice. I truly love this forum! I'm going to try different ones until I find, The One!
I appreciate the suggestions and encouragement. I noticed, too, that a few of us are a little "long of tooth", but to me, that's awesome and inspiring.Thank you, and Ride on!

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did that once. With the bike loaded for a party weekend camping. Full gas tank, camping gear, case of beer, etc. Only thing was the pavement was much lower on the right side of the bike... The bike was upright and my right foot was dangling in the air! By the time the bike had leaned over far enough for my right foot to touch, I was too far over and couldn’t stop the bike from continuing to lean. I was able to lower it in a “controlled fashion” onto its right side. Boy did I feel silly! Lifting it back up was done quickly with adrenaline...
You lost me at case of beer. I love beer, probably about as much as bikes, but carrying a case? Sounds like you need some suggestions in whiskey, tequila, gin or bourbon. Have flask, will travel! :) And NEVER when I ride, only upon reaching my destination.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I did say it was a weekend camping party, didn’t I? I had 24 500ml cans of beer on top of my top box. And a bottle of whiskey in the top box. I was only 30km from my destination, I didn’t think the additional weight would be a problem. And it wouldn’t have been if I’d been paying closer attention to my surroundings and not trying to get fancy hopping on the bike. The rest of the ride went smoothly - no really, with all that extra weight it was a very smooth ride!

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
You lost me at case of beer. I love beer, probably about as much as bikes, but carrying a case?...
How much is a case. In some parts, it is 12. Where I used to live🥌🏒 it was 24.
Here in AZ I normally buy beer in "30 can" cases, and the 'trunk' on my KLR in the following pic held THREE cases.

That's RIGHT - 90 cans of beer @ 12 fluid ounces PER...!

H - Painted Rocks-Joe/109.JPG by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

There were NO BEERS in the case while riding in the desert. PAVEMENT only until back home to unload them.

(y)(y)

:giggle:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts