Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to add auxiliary lights to both see a little better on back roads at night, as well as make myself a little more visible during the day (already wear hi-viz). I'm debating adding the lights to either the crash bars or the upper fork legs. Is there any disadvantage to adding them to the fork legs? The height difference between the two spots isn't really that much different.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm going to add auxiliary lights to both see a little better on back roads at night, as well as make myself a little more visible during the day (already wear hi-viz). I'm debating adding the lights to either the crash bars or the upper fork legs. Is there any disadvantage to adding them to the fork legs? The height difference between the two spots isn't really that much different.
I just received my lights/brackets for fork mount. My thought was as you go into turns, the lights will follow the direction Im heading, throwing some light......but I havent mounted everything up yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,185 Posts
Auxiliary Lights

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/207009-led-lighting-x-300-mondo-denali-kawasaki-others.html

Several have mounted them on crash bars, keep in mind the purpose of crash bars, also the angle they need to be to project further ahead, at some point you may be blinding oncoming drivers.

I purchased the SW Motech mounting, as to mounting on the forks, a bad idea, mainly due to vibration, you will get metal fatigue also the LED will eventually fail from this vibration, maybe not immediately but possibly 6 months down the road, the second thing is there is very little clearance, bottom the front forks and you may see your lights go bye bye.

I should add, the mounting is first class and $80 Canadian is what I paid from Fortnine https://fortnine.ca/en/sw-motech-light-mount-black-nsw-08-518-10000-b-kawasaki-versys-650

Also special order at Twisted
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-hawk-light-mount-set-for-kawasaki-versys-650-15

I should mention if you are driving either a car or truck and you only are able to see in the rear using side mirrors, and you can't see some of me, you really should get better mirrors or get your eyes checked.

Last time out I remember seeing a train approach, looked very similar for lighting.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just received my lights/brackets for fork mount. My thought was as you go into turns, the lights will follow the direction Im heading, throwing some light......but I havent mounted everything up yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's not how motorcycles work... If you are traveling at a speed great enough to require additional light, you are pushing your handlebars the wrong way to have fork mounted lights looking into the turn.

·
Super Moderator
19,393 Posts
...Is there any disadvantage to adding them to the fork legs?....
Like onewizard said - NOT the best idea.

That's not how motorcycles work... If you are traveling at a speed great enough to require additional light, you are pushing your handlebars the wrong way to have fork mounted lights looking into the turn.
BUT once you're IN the turn they'll be pointing ahead to where you're going.

·
Super Moderator
19,393 Posts
...Is there any disadvantage to adding them to the fork legs?....
Like onewizard said - NOT the best idea. I added some (on my '15) by fabbing some mounts that use the crash-bar mounts where the lights are protected.

BUT once you're IN the turn they'll be pointing ahead to where you're going.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My experience has been that they'll be pointing ahead to where I'd be going if I were going straight. I haven't seen anything without cornering lights that looks ahead into a turn, and even those are only reactive and slow at best.

It's one of the few gripes I have about night riding. That, and the drunks (who are markedly better than phone users now) and critters.

·
Registered
392 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts