Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed Speedy's lowering kit on my 15 Versys 650 last Saturday.

I was on my toes before and can almost flatfoot it now. Easy to install as the instructions are excellent.

Lowered the front end the recommended amount, again easy.

I wrapped some tape around my kickstand and while still attached to bike(bike was on paddock stand)used a hacksaw for the upper cut, pretty easy. Then took lower part to bench vise to finish. Installed Speedy's kickstand insert and was good to go.

The only thing left to do is put some paint on the kickstand where it was cut to prevent rusting.

Went for a ride the following day and was much more comforatble at stops and could tell no difference in handling.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good result! I'm doing mine in a couple of weeks. If it goes as easy as yours I'll be well pleased!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Installed Speedy's lowering kit on my 15 Versys 650 last Saturday.

I was on my toes before and can almost flatfoot it now. Easy to install as the instructions are excellent.

Lowered the front end the recommended amount, again easy.

I wrapped some tape around my kickstand and while still attached to bike(bike was on paddock stand)used a hacksaw for the upper cut, pretty easy. Then took lower part to bench vise to finish. Installed Speedy's kickstand insert and was good to go.

The only thing left to do is put some paint on the kickstand where it was cut to prevent rusting.

Went for a ride the following day and was much more comforatble at stops and could tell no difference in handling.
Be sure to check chain tension. It's likely to get tight if not adjusted for being lowered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I did re-adjust my chain,it was the hardest part of the whole mod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I did re-adjust my chain,it was the hardest part of the whole mod.
I'll be doing that this weekend, especially since I picked up a nail in my rear tire !!

I have also noticed , since lowering, the bike doesn't seem as wheelie prone as my '09 was.
:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
there is no need to adjust your chain, what you need to do its make sure its adjusted correctly before the lowering then re measure it afterwards and that is now the correct free play.

it will of course be a little tighter because the swing arm is now closer to the tightest point, that is normal just the same as when you sit on your bike

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'll be doing that this weekend, especially since I picked up a nail in my rear tire !!

I have also noticed , since lowering, the bike doesn't seem as wheelie prone as my '09 was.
:)
Lower center of gravity...
All, if you want to maintain the bike's geometry, make sure you raise the forks an equivalent distance.
I find the bike handles better, corners better, and responds more quickly since I lowered it...

·
Registered
34 Posts
The relocation of the rear shock would have nothing to do with whether you have sufficient chain slack. The tightest that chain is ever going to get is when the drive sprocket bolt, swingarm bolt and rear axle are all lined up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I didn't opt for the foot kit. Figured I could cut shorten and weld a larger plate on the bottom and be $50 ahead. I still have the $50, but I'm sure I ate all of that up in labor. I removed the kickstand, took out about 3/4" figured I could take off more later if needed. Getting that stand mounted back up is a major PITA. If you hook return spring up prior to reinstalling pivot bolt, difficult to get it lined up properly. If you try to install pivot bolt first and spring later, it's at least as difficult. If I had to do it over I'd spend the $50

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lower center of gravity...
All, if you want to maintain the bike's geometry, make sure you raise the forks an equivalent distance.
I find the bike handles better, corners better, and responds more quickly since I lowered it...
Yep - I did raise the tubes in the triple clamp. Bike handlse and rides real nice.
O put on a stand from a Ninja 650, same year. Had to do some grinding on it but got it fitted OK and works fine.
When pulled out the nail, no air hissed!!
I am watching carefully, but so far no leaks - pretty incredible.

·
Premium Member
9,718 Posts
Follow Moto Werk Instructions

there is no need to adjust your chain, what you need to do its make sure its adjusted correctly before the lowering then re measure it afterwards and that is now the correct free play.

it will of course be a little tighter because the swing arm is now closer to the tightest point, that is normal just the same as when you sit on your bike
I can't say for sure if you are talking from experience or just putting your 2 cents worth forward. This is my finding on my new 2015 650 ABS with 5 KM on it when I lowered it, chain was adjusted from new.I used Speedy's lower kit, c/w flat foot, removing 1 3/4 " from the stand, and I moved the wheel forward, as you could almost play a tune on the chain it was that tight.

Adjusting the chain is explained in Speedy's his instructions. See page 10, spells it out. If giving advice it is best to be giving correct advice, unless of course your chain was too loose before you lowered it, don't wish to offend anyone, just saying what I found, adjusting chain is also in the manual, basically everything that Speedy posts on his instructions can also be found to be highly accurate by looking up in the Kawasaki manual.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1..._Install_Instructions.pdf?3493357159767210442

Personally I would like my chain to last beyond what I got on my 07, was at 30,000KM and no signs of wear!!

Reactions: unstable_rider

·
Registered
76 Posts
Finished up the install and I did need to loosen the chain as it was really tight after the install of the lowering block. Took it out for a test ride and even though it's not as low as I would like, it's much better. With a 29" inseam, I am still on my toes. The Seat Concepts seat offsets the lowering I think. I lowered the front as well as instructed by Speedy's. Went ahead and took the opportunity to install the Throttlemeister throttle lock, tank pad protector and the battery tender leads.

I attached before and after pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can't say for sure if you are talking from experience or just putting your 2 cents worth forward. This is my finding on my new 2015 650 ABS with 5 KM on it when I lowered it, chain was adjusted from new.I used Speedy's lower kit, c/w flat foot, removing 1 3/4 " from the stand, and I moved the wheel forward, as you could almost play a tune on the chain it was that tight.

Adjusting the chain is explained in Speedy's his instructions. See page 10, spells it out. If giving advice it is best to be giving correct advice, unless of course your chain was too loose before you lowered it, don't wish to offend anyone, just saying what I found, adjusting chain is also in the manual, basically everything that Speedy posts on his instructions can also be found to be highly accurate by looking up in the Kawasaki manual.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1..._Install_Instructions.pdf?3493357159767210442

Personally I would like my chain to last beyond what I got on my 07, was at 30,000KM and no signs of wear!!
i did install the link.

the manual is correct for the bike in the stock setting not after the lowering link is installed

if your chain was that tight after lowering the suspension by around 35mm if would have been the same every time it compressed by 35mm while riding before you lowered it, do not know if that is what you are saying but if so sound tight before you lowered it.

all bikes chain tighten up until they reach parallel with front and rear sprockets this is the tightest point, pretty sure the stock set up goes past this point when fully compressed.

each to their own on chain adjustment

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have had my kit on for a while now...being a shorty and this thing being made for someone with a 33" inseam...I was on one tip toe....not what I want on a street bike.

I also had to adjust the chain....it was pretty clear if the susp compressed at all the chain would flat stop it from its full range of motion....not quite the dirt pike saying a smiling chain is a happy chain, but there is a little slack in there....guess old habits die hard.

I think I put my kit on about 1-200 miles in....I also picked up a nail in the rear tire a few weeks ago....got a new rear shoe and finally last night I put the wheel back on....PAIN IN THE *&^$(@&^$^ that *&^*(#^ with no center stand and those )&#(&)$ spacers falling out...smashed my ()&*&#() thumb. And that stupid ()^&#%)(_) muffler is in the way to sit on my stand....oh *&$((( I forgot the stupid brake bracket.....

A few bourbon and coke was consumed in the process.

Oh well all done and rode it to work....note to self, if you keep this bike find a center stand.

·
Registered
221 Posts

I agree with you...mine was tighter then a banjo string.

·
Premium Member
9,718 Posts
Speedy

i did install the link.

the manual is correct for the bike in the stock setting not after the lowering link is installed
I am not one to disagree , however I would suggest you contact Speedy and tell him your findings, and he will correct his directions on page 10 of the lowering link.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Excessive wear on the drive train will occur if too tight. The sprocket teeth wear out too soon and the chain gets hot and wears and sometimes if too tight it will affect shifting and cause vibrations while riding. The bearings become overheated and can fail.

Suffice it to say that the chain needs to be adjusted to the proper chain sag (see your manual) and kept lubricated. See page 368 of the service manual .pdf for the exploded view of the parts in the drive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Excessive wear on the drive train will occur if too tight. The sprocket teeth wear out too soon and the chain gets hot and wears and sometimes if too tight it will affect shifting and cause vibrations while riding. The bearings become overheated and can fail.

Suffice it to say that the chain needs to be adjusted to the proper chain sag (see your manual) and kept lubricated. See page 368 of the service manual .pdf for the exploded view of the parts in the drive.
Well that gets by attention! Thank you for the explanation.

I had the dealer install the lowering link on my new 2015 and asked if they adjusted the chain back to the specified slack. They of course assured me it was fine and that they'd recheck when I bring it in for the 600 mile service. They said it would stretch some during breakin.

When I measured, it looks to be on the tight side, barely 1 inch. They also failed to lower the front forks. My confidence in them is zero so I'm assuming they didn't adjust the chain slack either. At least they shortened the kickstand.

I will be having words with them!! All of this is a cautionary tale of why you do it yourself!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts