Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, I'm looking for a jcak! That's slightly different from a jack.

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between getting either a swingarm stand that will lift the rear wheel only, or a motorcycle frame jack that will lift up the entire bike, like this one:

Will a conventional frame jack work for lifting the bike?

Thanks,

Donnie

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't know if the conventional one will work, you have to think about the exhaust can... if the jack is not putting the force on the exhaust then it should be fine.. right?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if the conventional one will work, you have to think about the exhaust can... if the jack is not putting the force on the exhaust then it should be fine.. right?
That's just it though, I think it'll crush the exhaust if I use a conventional jack. I was wondering if anyone tried using one of these on their own bike.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Yep, there are a couple of us guys who've used them. It hasn't damaged the exhaust so far. I've had it up on the jcak a few times. Be aware, it's not as stable as a dirt bike or something with a flat bottom.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have flat jack from Costco like that and its worked on every bike I've owned for years-until it the Versys.

Tried in vain to work out a way to get a flat platform under the V that didn't stress the header pipes or muffler-couldn't get it done. The problem is, you have to go in between the two black plastic trim pieces either side of the lower engine, they have no strength at all. I then tried to make two supports that went under the foot-pegs-think if I was into welding it could be done, but my mediums are wood or aluminium and I couldn't get it work properly.

In the end I went for one of these;
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99701

Does an excellent job, but only one wheel at a time is off the ground.

They now offer this as a cheaper option and there is a 20% off coupon out there at the moment.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66192

Machog

·
Registered
76 Posts
Speedy has a great jack with an added steel rack and a metal bar that goes thru the frame of the Vs. I told him he should make and market that. You can lift the bike by the frame and have both wheels off the ground.

On the UK forum I think they concocted something similar out of 2x4's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input, guys! (And thanks for the chuckle, bear :D )

I'm thinking the one that I'll be going with is the $40.00 swingarm stand from Harbor Freight tools. I don't have a garage as of yet and thinking about it, it'll be a pain in the butt lugging the bike jack around whenever I need to use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts