·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He didn't hit his brakes but he did put his left foot down.:D I guess it was a Fred Flintstone Emergency Brake Check.:badidea::badidea:

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Wow...as my teenage daughter says, "Stupid people everywhere, doo-dah, doo-dah..."

Regarding target fixation, I was with two other riders at the side of I-40 at TN/NC border waiting for a flatbed. We were in high viz and standing on the dirt just off the paved breakdown lane. We kept on hearing "BRRRRR"...."BRRRRRRR" and concluded that drivers coming toward us were fixating on US in our high viz and veering into the rumble strip at the edge of the right lane toward us. To test our theory, we took off our jackets and stashed them out of sight, then returned to our spot just off the paved surface. No more "BRRRRRR".

Remember what the MSF instructor taught you? "Look where you want to go and you'll go there." Unfortunately the same concept works if you look where you DON'T want to go...you'll go there!

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...Regarding target fixation, I was with two other riders at the side of I-40 at TN/NC border waiting for a flatbed. We were in high viz and standing on the dirt just off the paved breakdown lane. We kept on hearing "BRRRRR"...."BRRRRRRR" and concluded that drivers coming toward us were fixating on US in our high viz and veering into the rumble strip at the edge of the right lane toward us. To test our theory, we took off our jackets and stashed them out of sight, then returned to our spot just off the paved surface. No more "BRRRRRR".

Remember what the MSF instructor taught you? "Look where you want to go and you'll go there." Unfortunately the same concept works if you look where you DON'T want to go...you'll go there!
Due to my flight-training for close-formation and instrument-flight in the RCAF (you train to disregard what your body is telling you, and ONLY believe your instruments, as well as NOT turning just because you're looking in a direction...) I believe I have a higher than average ability to NOT target fixate.

Any of you other ex-military or airline pilots (or instrument-rated general aviation pilots) jump-in w/ your thoughts....

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Very interesting observations on initial attention grabbing visual references... It could be safer to be camouflaged or blended in with the scenery, out of sight and out of mind.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Going riding on the road in the video today. To the Rock Store then to Neptunes Net. I'll try not to be one of thier next videos.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts