Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I bought the smaller version for hauling my klx 250s, rated at 300 lbs. I think. Definatly made my Gmc canyon Crew Cab 4wd squat in the back. With the load being out typically 15- 18 " from the ball, it will test your truck. If you have full size it may not be a problem. I added helper springs to mine to bring it from a 3" drop to about 1.5" drop measured from the bottom of the hauler to the ground when loaded.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This could be a whole nother thread. But THIS is what i drive.............I did the suspension myself, new driveline, custom bumpers, skids, working hood scoop, and an endless list of other mods. The leaf packs in the back are made to hold an extra 500 lbs over stock. The external res shocks in the back and timbren bumpstops help too! These pictures were taken this past May in Moab Utah.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I also have a smaller aluminum carrier on the back of my F150. I works great, in fact it is loaded right now with a Kawi G4 Trail Boss. It's my way back to the truck after a float on river. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the V on the same type carrier rated heavier than the one I use now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a custom built class 3 hitch, i have actually lifted the back end of the truck up from just the hitch in a shop when replacing the leaf springs. No worries there.
I really wanted to know how stable it would be, and when driving if it would kind of sway or rock back and forth.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Actually with the four straps, ratchet in front, cinch in the rear, and straps around the tires to the carrier, the bike actually hauled very well. You will need to know your tounge weight because you will lose half of it when putting the carrier on since it hangs out 15-18 from the actual ball. There is also another style carrier that holds just the front wheel and actually pulls the bike behind on it's rear tire. I know nothing about how well they work however.
By the way, thats one sharp rig you've got there mcampana!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Randy. I am sure the hitch can hold it, thanks for the real world use information. I did see that "wheelie" type carrier, I cant say id be really excited to use something like that, kinda scary looking. I am going to do a little more research from some 4wd buds and see what they think as well.

8 Posts
I've got an 2004 4x4 4Runner that I use an aluminum carrier...works great with my YamWR250R, and I've used it once with an 07 Suz DR650, no significant sag, but I would never put the V on there at least on this rig.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
I built one to carry my KLR on the rear of a coach. We added 2 more 2" receivers about 18" either side of the normal one, and that made it VERY stable. Carried the KLR from Alberta to Arizona and return a few times, then I sold it to a guy who added the 2 receivers to his Suburban, and loves it! :goodidea:
Ed :cheers:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I looked at a rear carrier, but with my truck decided it was too much weight over the end of the rear. If you have a substantial vehicle like the van shown, it would be fine.

This way takes up the bed, but distributes the weight better, doesn't take my front braking away. Travelled thousands of miles from Seattle area to Palm Desert and back without a problem.

Machog

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
trkadct, thanks for the photos. Makes me feel better seeing one in a real life situation. I dont think my Xterra will have any problems with this. Thanks again for all the feedback.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I could see the mirrors on the bike moving back and forth which was very disconcerting at first. I pulled over a few times to check and the straps never loosened. It is just the flex in the carrier itself. Drove from Atlanta to Charlotte and back with no problems. Didn't effect the mileage of the van at all. However it is a 7.3L PowerStroke with a superchips tuner, 4" exhaust, K&N filters, etc. etc. You get the idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts