Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody work on the rear shock, or get it modified? Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve kit or similar? Let a suspension shop deal with it? Were you happy with the results?

Replacing the shock with a better one seems like a safe bet, but getting the OEM shock dialed-in/upgraded might be cheaper...

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I installed the emulators on my old bike a Ninja 500 with prehistoric suspension and it was a big improvement. I'm not sure how damping is done on the Versys though so am not sure they would even work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yamaha R1 Shock ...

Anybody work on the rear shock, or get it modified? Installed a Race Tech Gold Valve kit or similar? Let a suspension shop deal with it? Were you happy with the results?

Replacing the shock with a better one seems like a safe bet, but getting the OEM shock dialed-in/upgraded might be cheaper...
Yeah , for around $100 bucks I did the Yamaha R1 Shock transplant :thumb: I love the plush soft stock R1 spring too...at 160 lbs. solo rider only...just drill out the eyelets...a couple washers and play with the adjustable hi and low speed compression and rebound...it's a fun project trying to find a 2008 shock but they are out there...cheap too...try it , :goodidea:

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Stock is stiff? umm... when i ride 2 up, i got bottom up even with preload set at 2nd highest.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've bottomed out at highest pre-load...but I weighed ~325lbs when I did that (currently 310 and dropping). So maybe the easiest way to tune the rear is beer and pizza. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Yeah , for around $100 bucks I did the Yamaha R1 Shock transplant :thumb: I love the plush soft stock R1 spring too...at 160 lbs. solo rider only...just drill out the eyelets...a couple washers and play with the adjustable hi and low speed compression and rebound...it's a fun project trying to find a 2008 shock but they are out there...cheap too...try it , :goodidea:
I bought an R1 shock all done up, from a member here - LOVE it! :yeahsmile: (BTW, mine are from '07 to '08 R1s.)

So, I bought ANOTHER off Ebay for my '09 in Canada, and it's at RaceTech in California getting the same spring as the first one, but CUSTOM POWDERCOATING in brilliant yellow (my '09's green). :clap:

I HIGHLY recommend the R1 shock! :goodidea:

·
Registered
770 Posts
I bought an R1 shock all done up, from a member here - LOVE it! :yeahsmile: (BTW, mine are from '07 to '08 R1s.)

So, I bought ANOTHER off Ebay for my '09 in Canada, and it's at RaceTech in California getting the same spring as the first one, but CUSTOM POWDERCOATING in brilliant yellow (my '09's green). :clap:

I HIGHLY recommend the R1 shock! :goodidea:
Is it documented in a thread somewhere what to do with the shock?

For example what needs to be machined, what bushings need to be purchased, are the length of the stock shock and this different and how to compensate, etc.??

·
Registered
135 Posts
just take it off and get a suspension shop to do the gold valves if you ride in dirt a bit the comp damping will need to be boosted as it easy to bottom out in dirt over a few unexpected erosion mounds etc, that would be cheaper and easier mod to do rather than stuffing around with another brand shock

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all.

The R1 shock swap seems more appealing since I read above that a heavier rider than me was OK with the stock spring. Can I have the same ride height with the R1 shock?

From looking at the R1 shocks on Ebay, it looks like it uses a linkage on the R1. It's a little surprising it would work so well in this application, but it sounds like there are a lot of satisfied customers.

Didn't find anything about rear shock revalve from searching fork revalve (or from searching shock revalve), but there was a lot of stuff about making a better fork shim stack, etc. Both ends of the bike need fixing, so that's good too.

If I don't go to a suspension shop for fork tuning, I might start a different thread for that--the suggestions I've found here are all for heavier riders.

·
Registered
720 Posts
:confused: How much do you guys weigh? Are you sure you're not at 2nd from lowest spring preload setting?
i do believe this is the 2nd highest, no?

i am 85kg while she is 55kg. i'm just confused and idiot about suspension settings thingie though.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...The R1 shock swap seems more appealing since I read above that a heavier rider than me was OK with the stock spring. Can I have the same ride height with the R1 shock?

From looking at the R1 shocks on Ebay, it looks like it uses a linkage on the R1. It's a little surprising it would work so well in this application, but it sounds like there are a lot of satisfied customers.
When I installed the R1 shock onto my '08 I didn't measure its eye-to-eye length, but, when I raised the bike enough to remove the stocker the R1 shock fit right in. I'll measure the other when it comes back from RaceTech.

I can use either an 07 or 08 R1 shock? But not earlier or later?
Several of the guys (read through that thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...amaha+R1+shock) used other year shocks, but the '07 and '08 ones have ALL the adjustment screws on the outside, so accessibility is better, and I believe the '07/'08 shock looks BETTER!

Was told the R1 shock was not serviceable. Apparently not.
Stlee - what exactly do you mean by ...not serviceable...?

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...Both ends of the bike need fixing, so that's good too.

If I don't go to a suspension shop for fork tuning, I might start a different thread for that--the suggestions I've found here are all for heavier riders.
In another thread I started (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18069), I said that I used ATF to fill my forks, and that now the forks are "plusher" then before. Invader did some research and has concluded that my ATF has a viscosity around 7.7, which might be the reason...? BTW, I'm about 175# PLUS my riding gear (ATGATT!).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts