Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many are having trouble with the mode and reset buttons functioning properly? I only have about 7400 miles on my '09 and have to play around with the buttons to change display and reset trip odometers. Is there an access hole to spray some contact cleaner in there?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I am having this problem only with the reset button, would also be interested in a solution.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Probably need to do the "straw" mod and / or clean the switch contacts. Fairly easy job. W/S, fairings and gauges will need to be removed. Trust me, it will only get worse.

I did the straw mod. No problems since, plus it cured the annoying gauge buzz.

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
One member from here did this little mod-Remote switch for the mode button.

You need to open the console and shoulder two wires to the remote button switch terminal in the console and you are done or you can use the flash/pass switch if you want.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7729&highlight=remote+switch

One other way to get it working smoothly is to open and service that little button.

:cheers:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just started to have problems with the mode button working the first time you press it, the reset button still works as always, hold till resets.
Guess it's disassembly time :(

·
Registered
2009 KLR (sold), 2009 650V (sold), 2012 V1000
1,484 Posts
Is it a simple contact cleaning thing (aside the straw no-more-buzzing thing) ?

I do have this problem, with the reset only (so far) and only 3000 miles

LOP

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have this problem, I bought a used 650 Versys and so far that is the only thing not working. I opened the gauge unit, but I could not get the needle off the tach so I sprayed some contact cleaner inside each switch and then blew out the remaining liquid with a shot of compressed air. The reset switch started to make contact again (mode was OK). Next time this happens, I will just solder wires to the contacts and bring out the wires to external weather resistant switches.

·
Registered
153 Posts
'New to me '09 with approx 8500 miles. Buttons function properly, but getting a faint buzz from inside which I suspect the straw mod will cure. The main fairing buzz was fixed with pieces of bicycle inner tubes as it drove me crazy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My mode button wasn't working, pulled the rubber out sprayed contact cleaner and it works fine.
The micro switch gets corroded.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replacing the switches

My reset button fix with contact cleaner did not last very long so I got tired of fiddling with the reset switch so I searched and found a video in Italian on YouTube but they skipped a lot of important steps to take appart the gauge unit.

The first step is obviously to take the gauge unit out of the bike and on your workbench, then open it up by taking out all the philips headed screws.

The circuit board is held on with two more screws. Ipulled off the tach needle, have no fear, it is a friction fit on the little stepper, then I removed the faceplate which is held on with sticky tape in the center. I could not remove the LCD panel so I just forced the circuit board and the white plastic apart to remove the switches and their plungers.

I had a couple of switches which matched the circuit board in my junk box, they tested good so out with the old and in with the "new"

Since the switches were not exactly the same, the plastic plungers did not fit anymore so I simply used a couple of plastic posts (again from my junk box) plopped them in the guides and buttoned the whole thing up. Now my panel works as it should :grin2:

Jean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just in case anyone is searching for a cheap fix for the rubber swich/mode reset button on a Kawasaki Versys 650:

After ages of searching I found out that there is a rubber button by Suzuki that fits perfectly. The Item number is: 34124-39G00-000
It replaces the original swich on a Versys 650, just pull out the old (broken) one and squeeze the new one in.

I am posting this because somwhere out there, there is someone with the same problem I had.

You are welcome :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just in case anyone is searching for a cheap fix for the rubber swich/mode reset button on a Kawasaki Versys 650:

After ages of searching I found out that there is a rubber button by Suzuki that fits perfectly. The Item number is: 34124-39G00-000
It replaces the original swich on a Versys 650, just pull out the old (broken) one and squeeze the new one in.

I am posting this because somwhere out there, there is someone with the same problem I had.

You are welcome :)
Thank you!!! I think you just saved me $83. I need to replace the rubber button / switch and couldn't stand the thought of needing to buy the entire instrument cluster cover for $90 for one little rubber button. I also don't want to leave the switch exposed to the elements (the original button is gone completely). Next time you're in San Francisco, hit me up, I'll buy you a beer...

Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
2011 Versys 650 and 2001 Bonneville 790
30 Posts
So how many are having trouble with the mode and reset buttons functioning properly? I only have about 7400 miles on my '09 and have to play around with the buttons to change display and reset trip odometers. Is there an access hole to spray some contact cleaner in there?
The previous owner of my 2011 Versys stuck a needle through the rubber "button" creating a sort of self sealing access hole that stretches a bit. Then he sprayed contact cleaner through the hole. I haven't had any problem in the past 1-1/2 years I've had the bike. I assume this might be the "straw mod"?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts