Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Hi Enigma,
In an other thread I expained everything about these crap switches.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43650
If you just want to replace the switches you can desolder the crap ones and replace them by so called miniatur moment switches. They are hard to find.
Even more hard to do the replacing.
I advise to get out the dashboard, open it, bend carefully the motherboard until you can sprite only a very little bit contact cleaner on top of the switches.
Now you can switch on electra and test the switches. If they still not work then you have to desolder the switches out from the motherboard. Remember how the switch was mounted!
Again 2 options. Each switch can be taken apart, gently. Then you wil see that there is actualy only one moving part, a little round plate that acts as a contact spring. Well, it shoud. But probably it does not. Take it out, clean it, spray it against corrosion, contact spray will do the job.
Second option is now to find on the motherboard the 2 points that normaly are connected by the switch and solder extension wires on these points and leave the switches out. Drill a small hole in the case of the dashboard where trhough the wires can taken out to any convenient place on your bike where you can mount for instance hupe switches. Any waterproof moment switch will do.
Have fun, and ask me if you need more details.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
349 Posts
I know you asked for replacements:
But just in case if your experiencing the simple common non functioning condition.
Gently rotate remove plastic covers
spray contact lube into switch
rotate press to re-insert covers.

If your only seeking the plastic covers good luck.

Does anyone know where to buy new mode and reset rubber buttons? Ebay link?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
The method described above by Seeya worked for me. Before you go looking for new switches, give it a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but i need new rubber cover for buttons because they are worn out, switches work fine :thumb:
Are the buttons the same on Kawasaki Z and Ninja as on Versys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
That is new to me. Never heard before of worn out rubber covers.
Partly explains why the switches still work well, because they get a malfunction by corrosion and corrosion due to using the switches not oft enough.
They should not have that problem, but they have. Crap, like I stated before.
Now, the rubber caps are no spare parts, as Kawasaki just replaces the dashboard in case of malfunction.
I suggest you try "rubber spray" to seal the caps. Just google "rubber spray" and you will find it.
Here one in Nederland: http://www.plastidipnederlandwebshop.nl/a-26219667/producten/vloeibare-rubber-spray-400ml/
In this email adres: vloeibare=liquid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man!
Here is a picture of mine rubber covers, from the lower one pin fall out few day ago....think I found the solution, I will post it here if would work
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
my buttons wore the same way. Can't wait to see your solution. I have tried the electrical contact cleaner with no luck. I plan to take mine apart again over our long winter and replace the switches. I would prefer to reuse the buttons instead of putting new waterproof buttons in the dash. Hope you are going to show me something brillant... no pressure though!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Thanks man!
Here is a picture of mine rubber covers, from the lower one pin fall out few day ago....think I found the solution, I will post it here if would work
Enigma, I had the exact same thing happen to mine. I searched and searched and could not find anything. I eventually took either a matchstick or bit of plastic trimmed to size and covered it with black silicone. Not being a-r it's not very pretty but it worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Enigma, I had the exact same thing happen to mine. I searched and searched and could not find anything. I eventually took either a matchstick or bit of plastic trimmed to size and covered it with black silicone. Not being a-r it's not very pretty but it worked.
I will also use black silicone and some rubber "O" ring :thumb:
When I come home from work will try something with it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My first idea didn't work, but I manage to repair the rubber cover. First I must apologize for the quality of pictures, didn't see that my camera was in wrong mode...
In my situation, pin from rubber fell out so i had to make another pin. I use rubber "O" ring, 3mm diameter, put it in the hole to measure the lengthen, and cut it about 8mm long. Then I cut 1mm thick cap from 5mm "O" ring. (picture 1 and 2, MODE button)

Then I filled gap between the pin and rubber cover with black silicone and on the top I fitted the 1mm cap (picture 3) and finished with silicone over the cap. (picture 4 and 5)
Silicone I used (picture 6)
And left it to dry for hour or so...(picture 7)
In the last picture You can see that there is almost no difference between original and new pin. Button works perfectly, and looks ok. If I had more time it would be much nicer, but for now it's ok :thumb:
The other button was just a little worn out so I fixed it with silicone. Sorry again for bad pictures, and my english :grinangel:
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,774 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top