Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
this is not actually relevant I guess, but I recently switched to 10w30 in my 09 gmc sierra and it may be wishful thinking but it really seems like it runs better and has more power. ive had 5w30 in it since I bought it new. no decreased mileage as well. these gm v-8's still use pushrods and lifters and I wonder if the lifters do a better job with a little heavier oil. I believe the lifters gm uses are inferior quality. . they were all replaced along with the camshaft a couple months ago under warranty at 78000 miles. im thinking I will use 20w50 in the summer in the v. its already in the 90's here. might be better for the trans. in this weather.

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
Have had more then one mechanic recommend this for summer months, after I complained about clunky shifting especially with the increased temps of summer months. What are some of your thoughts?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-20W-50-Full-Synthetic-Motorcycle-Oil-1qt/16767830
I use Mobil1 15w-50 (car oil) when I can get it, and M1 10w-40 when I can't. Right now I have about 1.5 gallons of 15w-50.

I believe that jdrocks uses M1 20w-50, but I'm not sure if it's the car or cycle oil....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Good oil; especially in Arizona
well, if it gets too hot ,you can do what I did when I lived in Tucson. take a ride up in the catalina mtns. and do a little fishing at rose canyon lake. usually about 15 to 30 degrees cooler up there, best I can remember--------

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, if it gets too hot ,you can do what I did when I lived in Tucson. take a ride up in the catalina mtns. and do a little fishing at rose canyon lake. usually about 15 to 30 degrees cooler up there, best I can remember--------
Yes, Mt. Lemmon. As a kid I would stand in wonder in the desert at 90 degrees and see Mt. Lemmon with snow on it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went with a little longer filter. Noticed, instead of 2 qts. it took 2 1/3 quarts. I guess the longer filter took up the extra 1/3.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If the V were air cooled, then I'd say yes. Run the thicker oil.
But it isn't.

5w40 Rotella T6 year round here. Not a single problem, and I have been doing a lot of low speed goaty riding. The Versys gets clunky shifting for me after the oil has been 4k+ between changes or ridden very spiritedly for days on end.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the 40 wt. 4t full synthetic the other day, had about 200 miles on it. (I saved, did not throw it away). Just to try 50wt. It was warm out, 95 degrees, it was as thin as the water out of my tap.
Just thought I would try the 50, to see if it would shift better.
I may try 1 qt. of 40, 1 of 50.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I used a long NAPA filter this last change and did notice a significant increase in oil capacity. Rotella synthetic, first fill with synthetic, super smooth shifts, although I never really had a clunky experience like others have spoken of, '09.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts