Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Puig "touring" windscreen and Givi HP4103 handguards over the weekend. Thought I'd post pics showing the clearance as it appears to be of some concern based upon posts on Revzilla and here. These were taken at full lock left and right. As you can see, plenty of clearance. Something to keep in mind is that I always adjust my bikes' levers so they're in line with the natural position of hand/wrist/forearm, which puts the levers lower than most folks seem to run theirs. This positioning will affect the handguard positioning, too, so YMMV. The handguard clearance for the fairing at full lock was much tighter -- maybe 1/4". I'll keep an eye on that to make sure it doesn't change.

Reactions: onewizard

·
Registered
269 Posts
They recently redesigned the shield. You might have gotten one of the newer ones.

Although it seems some people are able to adjust enough so there is clearance. It probably has more to do with how you have bars adjusted, more so then how the levers are adjusted.

Here is a pic showing both shields laid on top of each other. After comparing this photo to the photo of your bike, it looks like you have the older model.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting; didn't know about the re-design. Pic posted below -- hard to photograph the clear windscreen but you can at least see the outline. Good point about the handlebars. I haven't needed to adjust mine so it's set however the dealer did it (or the assembly-line.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is that the largest windscreen in the Puig line? I wouldn't mind a bit larger screen than my OEM but some of the touring screens seem too big.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that the largest windscreen in the Puig line? I wouldn't mind a bit larger screen than my OEM but some of the touring screens seem too big.
I think it's the only one Puig makes for the current generation, except for one that has a deflector added on the top but it otherwise identical. The angle of the photo I posted makes it appear much larger than it actually is. I believe it's smaller overall than the Givi. I think you can find size comparisons OEM v. Puig on this forum and/or Youtube. I ride throughout winters so I'm looking for extra wind protection -- I may switch back to the stocker (and remove the hand guards) in summer, we'll see.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think it's the only one Puig makes for the current generation, except for one that has a deflector added on the top but it otherwise identical. The angle of the photo I posted makes it appear much larger than it actually is. I believe it's smaller overall than the Givi. I think you can find size comparisons OEM v. Puig on this forum and/or Youtube. I ride throughout winters so I'm looking for extra wind protection -- I may switch back to the stocker (and remove the hand guards) in summer, we'll see.
I've have both, yes the Puig is a little smaller than the Givi. Around an inch maybe.

I find the Givi to almost be too tall for my 5'8" body, I have it on the lowest height setting.

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
...I ride throughout winters so I'm looking for extra wind protection -- I may switch back to the stocker (and remove the hand guards) in summer, we'll see.
I remove the plastic bits on the handguards AND my Puig 'screen during the warmer months, for cooling, then re-install them for winter, or long rides in case of rain.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmmm this was the screen I got from Puig. Much different, the extra deflector does a LOT at highway speeds to force air up and over me. Even with the peak on my Shoei Hornet X2 I barely get any buffeting and it seems to be smaller than the screen in the OP!

Sex machine - Album on Imgur

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hmmm this was the screen I got from Puig. Much different, the extra deflector does a LOT at highway speeds to force air up and over me. Even with the peak on my Shoei Hornet X2 I barely get any buffeting and it seems to be smaller than the screen in the OP!

Sex machine - Album on Imgur
How tall are you?

We have the same exact setup, but mine cops me right in the top of the head with all that directed force.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Interesting; didn't know about the re-design. Pic posted below -- hard to photograph the clear windscreen but you can at least see the outline. Good point about the handlebars. I haven't needed to adjust mine so it's set however the dealer did it (or the assembly-line.)

I have the same windscreen for my 2017 V1k in smoke color. I haven't had any issues, but I also don't have the hand guards on the bike either.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm 6-7, I get minimal wind buffeting, much better than the stocker.
I'm very impressed at the size and breadth of that thing for sure!

I'm about to go on a weekend road trip so i'll leave a better review around later next week! If it isn't up to snuff.... I may be looking at getting this screen...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts