Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mirror on the right side keeps swiveling off its axis and when i try to tighten the nut, it strips if i tighten it with any appreciable pressure. it stays in place but for only a few miles. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? thanks-

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's a common problem. There are a couple of "fixes" for it.
The easiest is to unscrew the top nut from the bottom nut. Inside you will find another nut with a spring washer under it. That is what is slipping. Tighten it down some and reassemble the bottom nut. Use loctite on the threads between the upper and lower nut to keep it from loosening in flight. If you have already taken it apart before and didn't use loctite on reassembly, then that is most likely what's coming loose instead of the inner nut.

Another method is to drill a pilot hole through the conical top of the upper nut to the mirror stem. Tap it and install a set screw. Again, if you have taken the lower nut off before or if it cam loose on its own, it requires reassembly with loctite or it will never stay tight.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Had the same trouble myself when I added the mirror extenders...I first cranked mirror clockwise until it wouldn't tighten any further, then unscrewed the whole assembly with a wrench...then screwed it back in again 'till tight, pulled mirror forward(counterclockwise) a little to adjust...still quite tight.

If the position is still off or not working try placing a washer between the mirror and the mounting block....It's key that the mirror itself is wound clockwise(tight) as far as it can go to begin with, before tightening down with the wrench.

Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The best fix is to just get better mirrors. Once you get them to stop turning you will realize how much you don't enjoy staring at your shoulders in the mirror and get extenders then you will realize how much they vibrate once you can see behind you and finally will just get different mirrors. Lots of folks like the Z1000 mirrors. I've asked Santa for CRG Bar End mirrors.

·
Registered
134 Posts
+1 for simply getting new mirrors.

I bought a set of cheap emgos and they work a thousand times better than oem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also had enless problems with the stock mirrors. I fitted the Kawasaki ER 5 mirrors. Is wider, no vibrations and solid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One of the other threads mentioned Aprillia Tuono mirrors, and everyone liked them, so I ordered a pair from my local dealer at ~$23 a piece. Just got them and put them on. Couldn't be a better, easier fit. They are wider, look better, and are solid. Couldn't be happier.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Just had my mirrors apart to tighten that little 10mm nut, and I took a few pictures for those who might like to see what's ahead. BTW, could NOT separate the 2 large nuts until I used a bit of heat from a propane torch. Also, I reversed the right mirror extender to keep the 2 mirrors level, as seen in the last pic, but this is only applicable to 2009 and later years. I suggest you only tighten the 10mm nut a BIT - I turned it about 1/8th to 1/4 of a turn (between 45 and 90 degrees).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
Had the Z1000 mirrors and they worked and looked great a little pricey though. Dropped the bike yesterday and broke the left mirror. Replaced them with a set i got off ebay mid last year they look good and bolt down into place so they don't loosen or move on you. I tested them out on the bike when i first got them and they work well http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Right-Rear-Mirrors-KAWASAKI-Z1000-Z750-ER-6N-KLE650-VERSYS650-ER-4N-/170744552927?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c12b1ddf#ht_3508wt_1165

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree whole-heartedly with Alours! The Aprilia mirrors are easy to install, easy to adjust, stay put and cut almost all of the vibration. I can actually see the make of the vehicle following me! Well worth the $23 ea.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
everyone cranks down on the outer nuts, thats completely wrong. The one that u need to tighten is on the inside between those two, as someone mentioned already. Open it up and tighten it, then when you screw the mirrors back on, only go clockwise to adjust your mirror (if you go too far, don't go back, keep going all the way around again, or you risk the nut loosening itself on the inside from going counter clockwise).

Locktite has not been necessary for me so far, the previous owner of my versys seemed to think tightening the outer nuts was the problem as well, they're all stripped to hell and have locktite on them, which did nothing except make it harder to remove to get to the little tiny nut on the inside. Thank god for those little rubber covers to hide the mess.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
FWIW I installed my Tourance 130/80 front tire today then went for 125 miles to "scrub" it in. Seems like the mirrors vibrate LESS now.... Go figure.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
everyone cranks down on the outer nuts, thats completely wrong. The one that u need to tighten is on the inside between those two, as someone mentioned already. Open it up and tighten it, then when you screw the mirrors back on, only go clockwise to adjust your mirror (if you go too far, don't go back, keep going all the way around again, or you risk the nut loosening itself on the inside from going counter clockwise).

Locktite has not been necessary for me so far, the previous owner of my versys seemed to think tightening the outer nuts was the problem as well, they're all stripped to hell and have locktite on them, which did nothing except make it harder to remove to get to the little tiny nut on the inside. Thank god for those little rubber covers to hide the mess.
It took me ten minutes to fix. I unscrewed ALL the nuts and tossed the mirrors in the trash and installed a pair of Super Duke mirrors instead. They don't move at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
IF, you would rather not buy new mirrors, the best, easiest and most economical fix is to take the mirrors off, and tighten the INNER, smaller nut. I added some BLUE Loctite. Then once you put the whole thing back together, you should be in good shape. With that in mind, I did add some mirror extenders. I don't mind the vibration, as I come from a Dual Sport background, and once you get the RPM's over 4,500, everything smooths right out. Enjoy!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Aprilla Mirrors

Is there a model number for the Aprilla mirrors or is Tuono good enough to order? I have an 08 V and am looking to update. My mirrors do all of the above complaints and the best remedy for me is to swap them out. Can anyone suggest a vendor? There are no Aprilla dealers in Delaware. Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts