Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left mirror is absolutely useless. The bike was received by me like this, but I just listened to everyone say "Oh, you can't see anything out of bike mirrors anyway", and took it at face value. I now believe that is utter crap.

When the mirror is screwed all the way in, the mirror points at my right arm at worst and at best will allow me a look at my left arm.

I cobbled together a shim and moved the lock position further up the thread, and that seemed to work... I could actually see whatever I adjusted it to - behind me or the left lane! But that only worked until I hit 65 mph or so and the mirror tightened itself again.

So, I figure the only fix will be get a washer-like shim and put it between the mirror and the mounting nut, or take off the mounting nut and put it between the handlebar and the nut.

My gut feeling is they grossly overtightened the nut on original bike assembly and that's why it is fubared. It's rotated a full 45 degrees past where it "should" be. I tried to remove it with an ordinary wrench and failed; I figure I'll have to use a breaker bar.

My question is :
Has anyone had to do the same?
Should I just take the SOB back to the dealer?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Are those the SW-Motechs? I bought the same ones and the M10 bolts were so tight. They never move on my bike even when it fell over. I think it helped keep the bike upright and what moved was the mirror/clutch bracket.

These are a bit pricey but well worth it. The view behind is much better. My dealer fabricates engine covers for race bikes and he said even at that price he couldn't fabricate a set. He'd have to charge a bit more - but they were all impressed by them. I guess a good deal after all and the safety factor is priceless.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My left mirror is absolutely useless.

My question is :
Has anyone had to do the same?
Should I just take the SOB back to the dealer?
I have also installed the mirror extender from Twisted throttle and have the same problem where I cannot see if I have a mack truck or a mini following me in my left mirror and in my right, I can actually see perfectly, no vibration!!

As for adjustment, when you take the mirror off the bike, if you turn it upside down, you will see a nut inside that can be lossened and then the mirror rotated. It's a trial and error, where you have to lossened, arrange, tightened and put it back on the bike and see.

took a bit of time, but worked well in the end (except for the vibration in the left mirror) and also had to use the locktite on the mirror to stop them from lossening up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for adjustment, when you take the mirror off the bike, if you turn it upside down, you will see a nut inside that can be lossened and then the mirror rotated. It's a trial and error, where you have to lossened, arrange, tightened and put it back on the bike and see.

took a bit of time, but worked well in the end (except for the vibration in the left mirror) and also had to use the locktite on the mirror to stop them from lossening up.
There we go. This is the information I was looking for! For the first time since I've owned my bike, I am able to adjust the mirror to look at something other than my chest!

·
Registered
5 Posts
mirrors

ordered from EBay, 10mm motorcycle riser extender adapter from Hong Kong 20.00usd and mirrors for Kawa Versys from Taiwan 11.00 plus shipping and they are perfect. Threw the crappy oem mirrors in the garbage. I am 6'1" 215 lbs and can finally see the traffic behind me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts