Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Mileage Economy aprox. 50 MPG

16K views 69 replies 40 participants last post by  WillieFlo 
#1 ·
The number 1 reason I got my Versys was to cut down on Gas consumption for my rather long work commute.

Ok. I lied. The number 1 reason I got my Versys is because the bike is cool as hell.

But mileage is good too!
I have been tracking the gas consumption since purchase date: 6.20 and I can say I am saving $170 Dollars a month in Gas only.

Check out the straight numbers here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxh-Wgxld9GgihPKbjKQaeg

disclaimer: You are looking at the "break period" numbers. Driving mostly under 60mph with two or 3 days punching 80 now and then.

So I'm dishing out +- $70 Dlls a month in gas vs. $250 using my car Accord(98).

I just thought this info may be useful to those crunching the numbers before taking the plunge. :thumb:

C.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I've been spending about $150/week (that's right-$600 per month) in gas in my '07 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab. I purchased the Versys largely for a commuting vehicle. I parked my truck the first week I had the bike and spent right at $20 for the week. For those keeping score at home, that's
$80/month versus (Versys) $600/month. I ran the numbers before I bought too and I figured I can easily make my bike payment, truck payment and insurance payments on both vehicles, as well as put gas in both vehicles (while mostly leaving the truck parked) and still save $200-300 over what I was spending without the bike.

Plus, the V is so much more fun!!

#7 ·
I am in the same situation as boogdaddy. I have a 4x4 full size mitsubishi montero and it gobbles up at least $95.00 of gas every time I fill up. Because I have a somewhat long commute + just doing things that every normal person does with there vehicle, a tank tends to only last about one week if that. So it easily costs around $400.00 a month. Actually it tends to be closer to $500-$550 when all is said and done. So, just as boogdaddy mentioned. It is very easy to justify a moto payment and insurance. I guess in a way its kind of funny to think that my parked Mitsu is paying for my V and then some. :D

#8 ·
Man, everyone here has long commutes or drives a fully loaded tractor-trailer to work every day. Either that or I'm going to call shenanigans. My current car gets 25 mpg on average and my V gets 50. At $4.00 a gallon for 87, that means I save ($4.00/25)-($4.00/50) = $0.08/mile driven.

At approximately $7000 with state taxes figured in, I would have to drive my Versys 87,500 miles (!) before breaking even just on purchase price alone - not to mention tires, gear, luggage and insurance costs! By the same calculations, if you are comparing your V against a truck that gets 10mpg, you'll break even at about 22,000... and might actually come up positive if the bike makes it 30k miles without a new engine!

#9 ·
I can appreciate differing opinions, but I know for me the numbers work. If one was trying to justify the total purchase price of the bike plus all the mods we like to do (which I wasn't), then yes, it's pure folly. And yes, I know about tire wear and maintanance costs (I do have a prepaid maint. package). However, like many people these days, I am more concerned with my monthly outlay. With 5 daughters, 2 of which are in college, every little bit I can save in the short term WHILE HAVING AN ABSOLUTE BLAST IN THE PROCESS is what I'm all about! :thumb: I would've been happy to trade my truck in on a more efficient vehicle but I wasn't that wild about being paid virtually nothing on trade for my truck. The big 3 automakers are practically paying people to drive new trucks off the lots around here!

#10 ·
I'm sitting at either $0.27 per mile for the montero or $0.074 per mile for the versys. I tend to look at it this way. How many everyday situations arise which involve money, that allow us to enjoy another vehicle (motorcycle) at essentially no extra cost. Plus, I'm able to apply an extra $200.00 minimum to the motorcycle payment per month after all is said and done just using the monthly gas allowance for one vehicle. At 7.4 cents per mile that minimum of $200.00 = 2700 miles towards riding the versys to its "payoff mileage". Why gripe and complain about gas prices when you can have fun on a V while exhibiting no extra financial strain on yourself and lets face it, none of us really bought a motorcycle purely for the reason of saving gas. If we were really concerned with fuel prices and quick vehicle payoff we would have gone with a bicycle or vehicle of the electric breed.

Cheers!

#12 · (Edited)
Like everybody also, I also found myself engaging in the "Gas savings: A motorcycle that pays by itself!" argument when I floated the idea to the clan.

That's why I posted the raw numbers... so you can see I'm the raw input and not some "feel good about myself" numbers.

And it happens that also I track the gas cost of my Accord...right here!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxh-Wgxld9GipsdOUH_bJbA

Which is ballpark $280/month.

So I can say, with the numbers to support it, that I save $200 dlls/month (good weather) by commuting to work in my motorcycle.

Then, the question of whether the bike pays by itself or not can be answered.

Not in my particular case.

I say here in NJ I may ride the bike from Apr to Oct.
Thats 8 months of the year.
That's 75*8 or $600.00

If I drive the car those 8 months I would pay 275*8 = 2,200.00.

So the net gas savings would be $1,600.00 for one year.
Subtract the insurance (300) and end w/ net savings of $1,300.0

That's about 40% of my total bike payments for 1 year.

So the Versys if gas doesn't climb any further, will end costing me around 4k
That's one big %50 percent rebate, isn't it?

But what if I was driving Nissan Armada putting over $500 a month in gas and lived in Arizona (Sunny most of the year) and my commute was over 25 miles?

Then I would say that yes Indeed!

The gas savings would pay up for the bike and a few dinners at The Red Lobster.:yeahsmile:

#14 · (Edited)
But what if I was driving Nissan Armada putting over $500 a month in gas and lived in Arizona (Sunny most of the year) and my commute was over 25 miles?

Then I would say that yes Indeed!

The gas savings would pay up for the bike and a few dinners at The Red Lobster.:yeahsmile:

You have described me almost to a T!

I live in AZ and I too have a big truck a Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4 (12mpg). All the reasons cited above are why I chose to buy the V and right now I am saving $200 cash money per month and I get the V. :thumb:

Even if it is just the fact that I get a motorcycle and my truck for the same money it is surely worth it. Not to mention the fun I have on the V which is priceless!!!

ETA: I am 250lbs and I am getting 51mpg on the V

#13 ·
Good to know some people are seeing some pretty good savings. My versys mileage is hovering right at 50mpg - seems to stay there regardless of gentle break in period, or now that I have sped up a bit.

I guess we were pretty well prepared for the fuel - with all the driving we do, I've found it's usually cheaper to have a car for commuting, and a truck to haul stuff or go camping / to the lake, etc. But right now:

Wife's Honda Insight - 60mpg @$4.00 gal gas = $0.067/ mile
Versys - 50mpg @ $4.00 gal gas = $0.08/mile
My Acura RSX - 25mpg @ $3.00 E85 = $0.12/mile
Ford F150 4x4 - 12mpg @ $4.00 gal gas = $0.33/mile
(Yikes! Glad that one only sees a couple thousand miles per year!)

#19 ·
Yes, I'll second that. No one really understands that they are not as cheap as the general consensus seems to want to believe.
However, I can say for sure, that for me... owning the V is much cheaper than if I were to have bought a car instead. The Versys is my only vehicle... and with insurance, gas, regular maintenance, and my monthly payments... I am still paying much less than I would be paying for a new car payment.

#20 ·
Who cares if it pays for itself? How much is the fun worth? The savings in gas helps offset the cost of our goodies! Bags, boots, jackets and farkle.

#21 · (Edited)
Funny thing about gas mileage. My wife got 62 mpg last 3 times I checked it. I have been on that bike for last 3 weeks. 53 mpg is alll I can get. I know I out weigh her by 50 lbs but I think its the medical problem I have with my Right wrist. It keeps twisting on its own for no reason. Sort of like a spasm.:)

#22 ·
I figure a bike and a small car are about a wash on cost per mile however the upfront cost ($7k for Versys compared to $20k for decent new small car) or the amount you have to borrow may tip towards the bike being a better choice. However a bike is great option if you drive a full size pick up and need something cheap for errands and commuting. I could not justify owning my truck and buying a small car if I still need the truck. The fun factor cinches the deal.

My V gets around 52 MPG.

Bottom line is if you like to ride buy the bike, if it just for cost savings buy the car.

#23 ·
Another thing to make you feel good: The Versys (or almost any bike) has a fraction of the environmental impact over its usable life than nearly any four-wheel vehicle. Consider the use of petroleum (plastics, engine oil) and other materials, then consider the significantly reduced wear on roads and space needed to park or store a bike. Carbon emissions might or might not be another issue depending on how modified a bike is.

I lived in Europe the past few years and motorcycle culture (and acceptance of bikes) over there is vastly different from here in the States. There is a reason for it. Folks there recognize motorcycles as a viable form of transportation. I'm waiting for that day to come on this side of the big pond...

#24 ·
I lived in Europe the past few years and motorcycle culture (and acceptance of bikes) over there is vastly different from here in the States. There is a reason for it. Folks there recognize motorcycles as a viable form of transportation. I'm waiting for that day to come on this side of the big pond...
Depends on the area. In Cali, bikes are definitely considered transportation and not just toys.

I'm seeing a lot more bikes on the road now that gas is $4/gal. In fact, I've seen some really nice Harleys commuting. I'd imagine a few of those only came out on perfect Sundays a year or so ago. It's nice to see more bikes on the road.

#25 ·
I agree with hacktracker. I have been seeing quite a few more bikes on the road as well. People in the U.S. are just going to have to get used to seeing more bikes on the road and having a greater sense of awareness. The problem with the majority of the U.S. is that our cities and urban areas are built in a very "spread out" manner so its just been normal for so long for people to just get in a car for whatever purpose to get to their destination. Whereas most of Europe is more condensed, in terms of population density and urban areas, and everything is more or less in generally the same area so its normal for most people to just walk, ride a bike or motorcycle to their destination. The U.S. needs to become more friendly in terms of pedestrian, bicycle and motorcycle traffic. I guess that gas prices being the way they are may force everyone over here to wake up a little.

#26 ·
The mpg of a motorcycle was one of the selling points for me when I bought my Versys. Having ridden the bike for the last month, I can tell you that in my case I ride for pleasure more than practical, (ain't riding a bike fun!), and as such my gas savings are in the negative numbers. The good news is that at 50+ mpg, factoring tire wear, etc., even the cost of my pleasure riding is nominal. I just installed my saddle bags today, so I suppose I will be using the V for more practical trips in the future since I'll be able to haul the groceries home more easily. Even so I'm leaving on a 5-6 day trip through southern Colorado next week with some buddies, and the net savings in gas are only hypothetical when compared to making the tour in my full size Dodge van as compared to the Versys. Cheers!

#28 ·
LOL!!! I'm not gonna lie and say i bought the V. just to save gas, although, I do save about $150-$175 a month in gas...assuming I am driving my Subaru. My F-250 Superduty 7.3 powerstroke...well, you figure it out, 16 mpg, $4.75 a gallon for diesel. I drive about 2000 miles a month, not including the extra trips I make on the bike now that I can afford it. But a gas saver that is a soul-rejuvenating machine as well, come on!!! I average about 55mpg on mine with a worst ever one time 47 mpg, and a best ever one time 62mpg. Part of the reason I chose the V. was for it's economy, cheap to buy, insure and better on gas than my other choices.I too have noticed a lot more people riding bikes over the last 10 years, since got my first bike, with nasty gas prices no doubt pushing this alot. Massive increase in scooters as well. With more bikes on the road, that makes more drivers aware of us, and less people driving killing cages!!!:thumb:
Wa-hoo bikes!!!
Fukken cheers,
Erik!!!

#30 ·
After reading thru the thread I'm wondering where you guys are getting your insurance, mine is currently w/ State Farm (along w/ 4 cars and the house) and $600/yr, I got a quote from progressive for $500. The guy at Farmers told my wife the Versys was a hot rod motorcycle, I was like, what the hell, this guy is off on the wrong foot, we did not transfer our insurance to Farmers. From what I have seem from the insurance co's they consider this bike to be a sport bike? Anyway, I do commute daily w/ a laptop backpack until i can get the side bags in the budget, and our gas expenditure has dropped dramatically.

#34 ·
VerSys - First tank - 51mpg. Second tank - 53mpg
Harley - 42mpg
Jeep - 30mpg on the highway. (diesel)
Ranger - WVO - 500 miles on $20

Cheapest to drive? the little pickup
Most enjoyable ride? No answer. They all have substantial merits.

#36 ·
My bad. Perhaps I should have not used an abbreviation. "WVO" is short for "waste vegetable oil." The truck has a small diesel engine that I have converted to run on diesel, biodiesel, and "WVO."

- S

BTW - diesel is much much closer to $5/g here in Michigan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.