Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
832 Posts
From the good o internet
The Road 6 GT is differentiated by an extra ply in the tire.
Michelin calls it Reinforced Radial-X Evo Technology (formerly Michelin 2AT Technology), and it makes the GT a beefed-up version of the Road 6 that can handle heavier motorcycles. The standard Road 6 gets by with Michelin Radial-X Technology.
Have you looked at (what I'm getting this spring)
Dunlop Roadsmart 4 Tires
Riders know that when it comes to tires, a lot of the time you have to compromise. Enter Dunlop's Roadsmart 4, where compromise is out of the equation. Dunlop revamped the already great Roadsmart 3's formula and managed to squeak an extra 23% of mileage for the front and an extra 26% in the rear with a new tread pattern, construction, compound and profile that increases comfort, grip, and mileage allowing you to feel more confident in the twistys. This new compound has Hi Silica X and Fine Carbon technology to increase grip and stopping performance in the wet, while the new sidewall construction improves on dry and wet handling comfort as well. The rear tires sport Dunlop's Multi Tread Technology, allowing for the center compound to last longer while special lateral compounds around the shoulders allow for outstanding grip.

· Registered
360 Posts
Pros and cons of each on a 2018 versys 1000?
Thanks!
I've had that question too but can't seem to find a clear cut answer on a bikes weight (for example) to differentiate between GT and non GT. Kind of baffling ...
As @Axel Johansson shows there is an extra layer layer in the tire but again no clear cut guidance as to which bikes should use the GT tire.
My opinion, for what it's worth, is the GT would be used for FJR's, Concours class bikes and above. I've very successfully ran Road 5's on my V1K, even though there is a GT Road 5 version available. [Edit - sorry, there is a Road 4 GT and non GT version, but no GT version for Road 5] Also thinking about trading up to Road 6's this riding season - will be non GT versions.

More details on Road 6

Michelin spec sheet attached. Two additional links to a distributor that shows the same max load weight for GT and non GT tires (assuming website is correct)

Let us know what you find out.

Attachments

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just saw a thread on other similar weighting bike (gs1250 etc...) And the guys where getting poor mileage mix solo/2 up because of the added weight....picking up my gt this afternoon,after all,the only con i can think of is less road feel in corner,but michs have always been thinner than other brand so maybe with this added ply there on par....had to make a choice,been trying to find out for a few months now,im just fed up😉so pulled the trigger on the gt's

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had that question too but can't seem to find a clear cut answer on a bikes weight (for example) to differentiate between GT and non GT. Kind of baffling ...
As @Axel Johansson shows there is an extra layer layer in the tire but again no clear cut guidance as to which bikes should use the GT tire.
My opinion, for what it's worth, is the GT would be used for FJR's, Concours class bikes and above. I've very successfully ran Road 5's on my V1K, even though there is a GT Road 5 version available. [Edit - sorry, there is a Road 4 GT and non GT version, but no GT version for Road 5] Also thinking about trading up to Road 6's this riding season - will be non GT versions.

More details on Road 6

Michelin spec sheet attached. Two additional links to a distributor that shows the same max load weight for GT and non GT tires (assuming website is correct)

Let us know what you find out.
Hey!
Ive been on every forum possible, and at some point,i was thinking the same as you about targeted models( fjr,concours etc .)but since its rated at the same weight,i tought they would ve probably have modified that weight range in some way or at least isued a restriction for lower weight motorcycle in that range,ex:gt tire deformation in curve wouldnt be optimal on bike less than 280 kg for example...so since gt are even more expensive...i thought it was a way of getting more mileage for heavier bikes or 2 uppers, and a way to keep a road 6 a bit more affordable😆.
Ended up calling michelin canada 10 min ago , and the only thing the guy told me,and i asked about all my preoccupation....lol ,is that the should give me 8 to 10% more mileage than the regular one (in theory).he also told me people reported that they tried both and couldnt see any difference in the riding between the two except for that.so guess ill have to see for myself....👍thanks for the sharing

· Registered
2022 Honda CB500X, ex Versys 650
67 Posts
My experience with the GT or non GT version of the same tyre carcass was with my then 2016 Honda VFR1200F. It is a porky bike, somewhere from memory around 267kg wet.
When the tyres worn down, I went to the Shop saying that I wanted Michelin Pilot Road 4, the equivalent of what I came from new, but a different brand.

The Service Advisor recommended against this tyre, as the VFR is fat sports tourer with only 25% sports, and 75 towards tourer.
Their shop had the contract to service the Local Police VFR1200P bikes, and they wanted and demanded the Road 4 GT version be used, based on their testing.

Well, the new tyres always feel better than worn down one's of course, but it was such an improvement in handling and far better comfort over roads that ride like cobble stones.
The feeling of falling into gaps every inch of the road surface completely vanished, and therefore didn't get send up the chassis to me. The bike rode smooth as new before on the same worn out roads.
My observation thereafter, was that Honda were trying with the OEM tyres to capture a Sports bike Market Buyer with a bike that was more FJR1300, than CBR1000RRRRR.

I don't think there is static bike weight that say's go to base carcass or go up to GT grade, as it all depends on the suspension that's fitted (compression/rebound/spring rate).
But a bike like the Versys1000 would benefit from the GT, where as the V 650 would ride rather harsh I think as the side walls to need to flex to give a tyre contact to the ground area when cornering and braking.

Rob.

· Registered
17 Posts
I recently replaced the OEM Bridgestones on my '19 V1K with the non-GT PR6's. Since then I've put about 2000km riding 2-up with luggage on the PR6's. While the grip is superior I feel like turn-in is a bit more vague compared to the Bridgestones. I recall reading that the Bridgestones generally have a stiffer sidewall compared to the Michelins. I've bumped the tire pressure up by 1 PSI in the rear which seems to help. If I had to do it again I'd probably go with the GT version. I hope this is helpful.

· Registered
6,096 Posts
I ran GT tires on my Concours and my Triumph Trophy SE. Both high speed 10 hours in the seat bikes. Peace of mind.

Not sure how much less the V1000 weighs, or whether you are riding two up, or doing high speed touring. If you are just commuting and riding around locally it probably doesn't matter.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently replaced the OEM Bridgestones on my '19 V1K with the non-GT PR6's. Since then I've put about 2000km riding 2-up with luggage on the PR6's. While the grip is superior I feel like turn-in is a bit more vague compared to the Bridgestones. I recall reading that the Bridgestones generally have a stiffer sidewall compared to the Michelins. I've bumped the tire pressure up by 1 PSI in the rear which seems to help. If I had to do it again I'd probably go with the GT version. I hope this is helpful.
Yup!! Exactly the kind of pertinent analysis i was looking for!!!
As i said in another response on this thread, i to, had found the michelin to have thinner walls,in fact its the same with their car tire.
So the fact that the gt had an additional ply,was one of the reason i ordered gt's.
I stated the other reason i found,like calling michelin and finding what they where putting on similar weight bike when they did the tire available for journalist to try.if your interested,what motivated my decision is all above in this thread.
Thank you for the sharing,it confirms what i had suspected so im more than happy!👍☺
Have a great week
Ill report back after a few miles,in spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts