Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running PR4s for the last few years and they have been good, but all good things come to an end, and they are worn out. I've got about 7k miles on the rear, and 9,500 miles on the front.

I was planning to get another set of the PR4s, but the local dealer is suggesting Road 5s, which are supposed to be better in wet weather. It hasn't rained here in Seattle in about 4 months(!) but that will surely change soon.

Any opinions/experience/other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I've been running PR4s for the last few years and they have been good, but all good things come to an end, and they are worn out. I've got about 7k miles on the rear, and 9,500 miles on the front.

I was planning to get another set of the PR4s, but the local dealer is suggesting Road 5s, which are supposed to be better in wet weather. It hasn't rained here in Seattle in about 4 months(!) but that will surely change soon.

Any opinions/experience/other suggestions?

I went through 2 sets of PR3's on my Versys 650...2 sets of PR4-GT's on my FJR and now have the Road 5's on my Versys 1000....All great tires. I really like the 5's but it could be a coin flip between the 4 & 5's....

5's by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the PR4 in my Cb500x. They where great for wet weather. I did some ryding in pretty extreme downpors and never I felt unsecure.

But their profile is a bit different and makes it corner a bit awkard. First you feed a bit of resistance in dropping in to a corner, and then suddently it looks like you are falling... Quite something I never got used to.

I want new rubber for my Versys before starting to rain, but this time it will be the New Contiroadattack 3 or the Metzeler roadtec 01.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had PR4s, now running Road 5s on my V650. The 5s do feel a little more responsive than the 4s and drop into a turn easier, they also feel more secure at big lean angles.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
rain-tires?

It rains here in BC over the fall/winter so I BELIEVE I'll just leave the Shinko E705s on it... - and fly down to AZ to escape....

:wink2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
And regarding the Batlax T31, has anyone tried it or compared it wi th PR?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not tried the 4's, but I recently installed the 5's and they're awesome! They turn in so easily and linearly. The bike no longer 'falls in' to corners, instead it flicks side to side SUPER EASILY and precisely. I highly recommend the Michelin Road 5's in the stock size

·
Administrator
8,847 Posts
I have not tried the 4's, but I recently installed the 5's and they're awesome! They turn in so easily and linearly. The bike no longer 'falls in' to corners, instead it flicks side to side SUPER EASILY and precisely. I highly recommend the Michelin Road 5's in the stock size
Same here, running them the second season, not really sure what happened, I always had to top up the air once a month on the PR -4. The PR 5 , don't lose air, now with my tire pressure monitor, confirms this. Every time I checked pressure I released some air, not anymore !

·
Registered
804 Posts
And regarding the Batlax T31, has anyone tried it or compared it wi th PR?

Yes, but not the PR5. PR4 and PR3 both tend to scallop toward the end and handling deteriorated as a result. T-31, Angel GT, and RS3 have all worn even to the end with no apparent degradation in ride or handling. I'm now on my 13th rear tire on the 650, just for a bit of background.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My experience as well with the PR4. Worked great in rain and dry until the leading edges developed the lip then they became rather unpredictable at half lean. The RS3 do the same but there is only one leading edge in contact at any time so they are much more stable. Really hard to beat the PR4 when it's wet and they have less than 3000 miles (rear).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts