Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding on my new PR 4's for a few days now, taking it easy, breaking them in.

I have noticed a lot of tire noise from these tires, when riding at a steady speed in the 40 to 55 mph range. It goes RRRrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRrrrr...

Has anyone else noticed this with their PR 4's? ...:confused:

It sound like I'm riding a jeep with oversized snow tires on it, ...but a little quieter than that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe not to that extreme, but I do get some noise from them, mostly at lower speeds. I would imagine it is from the sipes in the tires.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I started getting that noise on my current tires and noticed cupping (scalloping), checked tire pressure and it was only 28psi.

could be tire pressure related.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started getting that noise on my current tires and noticed cupping (scalloping), checked tire pressure and it was only 28psi.

could be tire pressure related.
Since I am in the "tire break in period", [and I am cautious about crashing due to new tires] I set the pressure at 30 psi in the front and 34 psi in the back. Each are 2 psi less than I would normally run them (stock pressure).

·
Premium Member
9,064 Posts
Since I am in the "tire break in period", [and I am cautious about crashing due to new tires] I set the pressure at 30 psi in the front and 34 psi in the back. Each are 2 psi less than I would normally run them (stock pressure).
I have PR2 and run 38 front 40 rear, just replaced my rear, breakin was one day at these pressures, just to scuff in the tires and allow the bead to dry
Also you realize the tires hit over 60 LBS when setting the bead.

:welcome:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've got about 1,200 miles on the P-4's and never noticed much at any speed. But, I am usually wearing earplugs for any rides over 5 miiles so I am not getting the full effect.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more I ride now, the quieter its getting, I think. It could be because its been much windy-er lately, which could be masking the tire noise.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
The recommended pressures for these tires on the Versys are 33/36. The number on the side wall is MAX pressure not running pressure. Not sure why some posters are running such high pressures as it causes loss of traction and rough ride.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
The recommended pressures for these tires on the Versys are 33/36. The number on the side wall is MAX pressure not running pressure. Not sure why some posters are running such high pressures as it causes loss of traction and rough ride.
I've run 36F and 42R ever since I picked up my '08 at the dealer in Sept '08, as recommended by the mechanic, and ran it in my KLR too.

NEVER had a loss of traction, nor what I'd call a 'rough ride'. If you read the posts by jdrocks, you'll see that he runs those pressures too, and doesn't "air-down" for dirt.

Your bike, so run whatever pressure 'works' for you....

BTW - I SEEM to get more mileage out of my tires than a lot of others get.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the source of the 33/36 numbers? The V owners manual says 32/36 .

·
Registered
399 Posts
40+lbs?!
WTF!

What do you people run your car tires at? 48-50lbs?! Wow...

I run 34 front, 34-36 rear depending on load and distance. Air down for dirt if it is more than an hour or so straight.

The more sipes, the louder the tire. My TKC-80's are like driving a 4x4 crawler down the freeway at 70mph. Loud!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
the numbers inthe manual and onthe frame are for the stock tires. tire construction dictates that different tires and different riding conditions are best at different pressures.

when I ran continental road attacks the recommended rear pressure (by continental) was 40-42psi

and even for cars some are starting to run higher pressures to improved fuel economy (prius) and many trailer tires are run at 55psi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts