Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dgi:Since 2001 I've had 7 MCs, my current one being a 2011 Versys. Four were carburated, and three FI. Three with carbs were big 1600 & 1700cc Yamaha Roadstars. These bikes due to being carbed and me living and riding at 5000- 11000 ft elevation benefited from new jetting, manifolds, air filters and pipes. They were cruisers and as such were absolutely perfect after these mods. The 2010 R* was FI and nothing was necessary to improve it's performance AS A CRUISER! Many tinkerers did changes to the engines, HC heads and Pistons, re-mapping, high performance carbs etc. Every change brought about unforeseen issues with reliability, performance, fuel efficiency resulting in some negative results. The Versys with FI has no carb issues, suspension is fine for it's intended purpose, I live in and around mountain twisties so I'm not talking commuting on slabs and straight-roads. My mods were 90% comfort/convenience and 10% performance(44T sprocket). The sprocket change made the Versys, in my mind, run in a more useful power band range. If I wanted my cruiser to be a rocket I'd have gotten a V-Max and if I wanted a faster Versys there are the Ninjas. :blah::blah::blah: Just an opinion from an old fart.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you still loft the front tire with just the throttle in first gear with the 44T sprocket?
Never tried it but if you give it plenty of throttle and pop the clutch I bet you can. I almost had it up in 2nd gear when I dragged against my friends Raider, scared the crap out of me!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Got my 44t last week. The bike feels just that little bit less frantic and nicer to ride now. It hasn't made a massive difference, but I do prefer the way she feels. The speedo is more accurate to within 1 mph it seems according to my Zumo 660, not that that was a worry for me anyway. Best of all, the new sprocket looks really cool. :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you haven’t already, you might want to try repositioning those spool hooks differently in your stand, i.e., swapping the left & right sides and with the long leg forward. As it is, it looks like it’s carrying the weight pretty far aft of the stand’s upright centerline (so instead of pushing straight down, it’s trying to twist...).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my 44t last week. The bike feels just that little bit less frantic and nicer to ride now. It hasn't made a massive difference, but I do prefer the way she feels. QUOTE]

:exactly::cheers:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Can you still loft the front tire with just the throttle in first gear with the 44T sprocket?
yes, all you have to do is... in either 1st or 2nd (or maybe even 3rd) roll on the throttle up to around 4 grand then roll off..and quickly roll back on ...front tire comes up everytime, not like stunt style but enough to make me increase the pucker factor. :cool:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Got my 44t last week. The bike feels just that little bit less frantic and nicer to ride now. It hasn't made a massive difference, but I do prefer the way she feels. The speedo is more accurate to within 1 mph it seems according to my Zumo 660, not that that was a worry for me anyway. Best of all, the new sprocket looks really cool. :D

How far off was your speedo before the sprocket change? Mine is only 1 to 2 MPH off according to my Garmin. Maybe 2.5 at 65 MPH.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The speedo was only off anything between 2 and 4 mph at up to 80ish. With the 44t, it's been reading dead on and up to +1 so far when I've been checking it out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you haven’t already, you might want to try repositioning those spool hooks differently in your stand, i.e., swapping the left & right sides and with the long leg forward. As it is, it looks like it’s carrying the weight pretty far aft of the stand’s upright centerline (so instead of pushing straight down, it’s trying to twist...).
:thanx: I never noticed that before.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The forks are backward. You want the longest side facing forward for security when you first engage the spools and begin to lift. Either way, the centerline of the spools will be behind the centerline of the stand wheels. This is necessary to keep the bike from rolling forward off the stand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts