Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother (the mechanic) turned me on to an easy way to get grease/oil off of my hands many years ago-

Just get out the mayonaisse from your fridge, spoon out a healthy portion... and wash your hands with it....it takes everything off.

I thought this was common knowledge until my neighbor looked at me funny - but now he is a believer as well.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
And Fellas,

This doesn't mean you can start putting "GOJO":nono: on your BLT's.:forgetit:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The orange oil hand cleaners are better and cheaper. Work it in without water and then rinse.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Just get out the mayonaisse from your fridge, wash your hands with it....it takes everything off.

I thought this was common knowledge until my neighbor looked at me funny - but now he is a believer as well.
Never heard this one before! (Looking at you funny) :eek:

Thing is, I gotta try it now. I have this image of me coming in with greasy nasty hands and scooping out some mayo with my fingers and screwing the cap back on.... Wife aint gonna be happy with that! I know, you said spoon it out. :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
A little lacquer thinner and a match works too, but I wouldn't so that either. This had to come out of some minimalist almanac or something. Why else would anybody do it? I can see it now. "Honey, where's the mayo?" After Gomer sticks his hand in the jar, rubs the stuff in, he scrapes the excess back into the jar.Things in your house just can't be that bad, can they? :D

Orange base hand cleaner.

V-Zee

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
For the particularly dirty jobs I’ve really come to like the rubber’ish mechanics `surgeons’ gloves that are out there now. They have great feel and the heavy duty ones hold up pretty well.

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
Sorry I have to ask this, for health reason.:(

“Cholesterol is a soft, fat-like, waxy substance found in the bloodstream and in all your body's cells and I got too much of it. If I consume MAYO will it help, since MAYO removes oil and grease.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
U can use any oil source from your kitchen (butter, peanut oil, olive oil, crisco ...)
The +s is that they don't contain any solvent or other harmfull chemical product that can enter your blodstream and system in general

Personally, I use the cheapset margarine I can find at the grocery and when all the grease has being lifted from my hand use a clean rag to wippe it off

Also, since you don't have to keep the margarine in the fridg, it's more practical (wouldn't want to put my finger in my mouth after cleaning my hand with mayo = eggs)

LOP

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mayo for the Gulf!

I am thinking mabey we should dump a bunch of mayonaise in the gulf :yeahsmile:
Glowcat13,

You may have been intending to be funny....but, there was a news story out about two weeks ago that bird rescuers are using mayo to clean oil soaked birds.:goodidea:

The oil in the mayo apparently reacts well with the crude oil and the mayo is not toxic for the birds.

Monte

·
Registered
577 Posts
orange based cleaners are not benign...don't overdo it.
D-limonene - This chemical is produced by cold-pressing orange peels. The extracted oil is 90% d-limonene. It is a sensitizer, a neurotoxin, a moderate eye and skin irritant, and can trigger respiratory distress when vapours are inhaled by some sensitive individuals. There is some evidence of carcinogenicity. D-limonene is the active ingredient in some insecticides. It is used as a solvent in many all-purpose cleaning products, especially 'citrus' and 'orange' cleaners. Also listed on labels as citrus oil and orange oil.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
orange based cleaners are not benign...don't overdo it.
D-limonene - This chemical is produced by cold-pressing orange peels. The extracted oil is 90% d-limonene. It is a sensitizer, a neurotoxin, a moderate eye and skin irritant, and can trigger respiratory distress when vapours are inhaled by some sensitive individuals. There is some evidence of carcinogenicity. D-limonene is the active ingredient in some insecticides. It is used as a solvent in many all-purpose cleaning products, especially 'citrus' and 'orange' cleaners. Also listed on labels as citrus oil and orange oil.
I've been using hand cleaners for about 50 years now, and the orange based stuff is easier on the hands than anything I used before. I'd imagine the 90% concentration is irritating, but the finished product has nowhere near that concentration. The petroleum products in the GoJo type cleaners are far more irritating.

Just about everything is carcinogenic or poisonous in large quantities or high concentration. Distilled water is deadly if consumed in large quantities. Life has a 100% mortality rate. I'm not about to worry about a little orange oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts