Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using "Maxima Chain Wax" (Brown Can) and don't feel very pleased. I just spent about 3 hours cleaning it off the tire, rim, swing arm and bike. This product isn't suppose to fling and the only time I apply it is after my rides. It built up about 1/8th" around the whole chain. I read it a past thread that some even use just plan old WD-40!? What are your views on the products that are avaliable? I've decided not to use this product anymore. Any suggestions? I don't want to add a automatic chain oiler so I would like to know what products others are using?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm going against my better judgment and weighing in on a chain lube thread. These threads usually go the way of tire threads, oil threads, politics and religion.

I used chain wax on my dual sport bikes because I didn't care much about how much it gunked up the rear wheel and such. Somewhere along the line I switched to Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube, which I think flung less, but still a considerable amount.

I recently switched to DuPont Multi-Use Teflon based on comments here and on other forums. I was particularly impressed with the review the product received from WebBikeWorld. I've never gone wrong with a product recommended by WBW.

I've been using the DuPont lube for about a month and my rear wheel is quite clean.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I dont give a flying crap how dirty my wheel gets. I want my chain protected.

I use Bel-Ray Moly or Honda HP White Graphite with good results.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I'm going against my better judgment and weighing in on a chain lube thread. These threads usually go the way of tire threads, oil threads, politics and religion.

I used chain wax on my dual sport bikes because I didn't care much about how much it gunked up the rear wheel and such. Somewhere along the line I switched to Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube, which I think flung less, but still a considerable amount.

I recently switched to DuPont Multi-Use Teflon based on comments here and on other forums. I was particularly impressed with the review the product received from WebBikeWorld. I've never gone wrong with a product recommended by WBW.

I've been using the DuPont lube for about a month and my rear wheel is quite clean.
Yep, the Dupont stuff works great! No fling, no mess.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm stoked! We are off to Alaska this weekend and if the motogods are smiling I'll be bringing a case of Dupont home with me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have been using "Maxima Chain Wax" (Brown Can) and don't feel very pleased. I just spent about 3 hours cleaning it off the tire, rim, swing arm and bike. This product isn't suppose to fling and the only time I apply it is after my rides. It built up about 1/8th" around the whole chain. I read it a past thread that some even use just plan old WD-40!? What are your views on the products that are avaliable? I've decided not to use this product anymore. Any suggestions? I don't want to add a automatic chain oiler so I would like to know what products others are using?
Hey Jeff i was using the same chain wax with good results , not much for fling but a build up of gunk on the chain etc. I give it a good cleaning with wd-40 and then have give this product a try with decent results . http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jeff i was using the same chain wax with good results , not much for fling but a build up of gunk on the chain etc. I give it a good cleaning with wd-40 and then have give this product a try with decent results . http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php
Oxman, where did you find the jigaloo? So is it a dry lubricant? Does it apply like a dry graphite would? Sounds like it couild be great!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Oxman, where did you find the jigaloo? So is it a dry lubricant? Does it apply like a dry graphite would? Sounds like it couild be great!
I found it at my local building center but i have seen around at a few places. It goes on wet but dry in a sec ! ive been happy thus far and it also comes in a handy travel size , perfect for the tank bag on those trips.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I do love Maxima's synthetic "Chain Guard" (not their "Chain Wax") (as well as their synthetic air filter oil, and air filter cleaner) like I've been using for years now. Outstanding chain protection, low fling and very easy to clean... Amsoil's HD Metal Protector is also a wax that builds up and is hard to clean.

Regular Jig-A-Loo is a dry silicone-based lubricant, but they now have something even better for our chain, and a great substitute for Dupont's which is not sold in Canada: Jig-A-Loo Performa PTFE. There you go, Red Herring. :thumb:
"The superior ultra-dry lubricant with polytetrafluoroethylene (ptfe) with superior adhesion, displaces moisture and instantly lubricates where wet lubricants cannot be used... can be used to reduce wear-and-tear between moving parts. It lubricates bicycles, locks and latches, hitching attachments, table saw, mechanical chains, cables and many more. Use it on metal and glass."

http://www.jigaloo.com/ca/e_products_performance.php

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
i hate the wax stuff. just too messy. I use the Dupont multi-use and its great. a guy I work with swears by it. They've come out with a thicker formula specifically for motorcycles called Teflon Chain Saver.
I got this response when I emailed Dupont about where to buy the chain saver stuff......

"At the moment, Chain-Saver is only available online. You can get it at www.netmercury.net, www.mcmastercarr.com or www.motionindustries.com.
Tucker Rocky, the second largest motorcycle accessories distributor is going to order their first PO with Chain-Saver next week. Most likely you have a local motorcycle shop that buys from Tucker Rocky. Give them a call and ask them to place an order for Chain-Saver (part # DCS611101). I believe that Tucker Rocky has the part# in their system at this time but just does not have any product in stock."

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have been very happy with the Dupont Dry Teflon spray. It does a good job of cleaning the chain and the chain seems to stay cleaner, but a formula specifically for chains sounds even better!!! I just ordered a few cans.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used the Maxima stuff, but it's so sticky it attracts dirt to the chain - the opposite of what I want. I switched to the Teflon Multi-Use spray and haven't looked back. You won't be dissapointed. I can find it at my local Lowe's store.....runs about $4 a can and a can last about 6-8 months.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Everytime I go to a Lowes looking for the Dupont Dry Teflon they are out and Home Depot doesn't appear to carry it any longer.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thanks for the warning! I am not fond of inhaling neurotoxins!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Wish I had thought of that!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts