Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been looking for a solution to carry my photography gear on my Versys-X. I never liked Kawasaki OEM Topbox for this bike. I wanted something rugged and indestructible like Pelican Cases. so I got a Vanguard Supreame 46F hardcase. I have designed and prepared a mounting system for it. I'm just worried about weight.

the case itself weights aroung 6.5kg (14.3 lbs) and with my photography gear it weights around 10kg (22 lbs). do you think it is too much and the weight could damange my bike's subframe our mounting bars?
Kawasaki recommends 6 kg max ( and that is if you don't use side boxs ), even BMW recommends only 5 kg of load inside R1200GS topboxs. we all know manufacturers are always conservative in their manuals that's why I need to know about your experiences.

Cheers,
Pouria

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't worry about that wweight limit - have a look at the stickee behind the rear seat - and have a laugh; try and add up "all" the weight, You car carry if you have both top box and side cases.
It's redicoulus for an adventure bike....even if you cannot mount original sidecases with original top box as the top box will prevent you from opening the side cases....they're trying to write off any chance of being held responsible for anything.
It was also said that the rear frame of the KLX250S wouldn't take the stress of a top box; welll - I mounted one directly to the rear frame WITHOUT any rear luggage rack, just boltd it through the rear fender with long bolts and metal tubes for spacers.
Lasted 5 years without any stress symptoms - probably much longer but the bike got stolen :eek:(
Oh - and both on the KLX and the Vx (where I have a 36-ish box), I go way over the weight limit up to several times a week when shopping for groceries on my daily commute.
Nothing broken and I didn't fall over due to overload - it's a hoax ;o)

·
Super Moderator
19,602 Posts
I had a home-made rear rack on my KLR650, w/ (normally) a small aluminum camera-case on there, but now-and-then (in AZ) I would replace the camera case w/ a VERY LARGE box that I carried beer home from the store w/. EITHER TWO or THREE 30 can boxes. PROBABLY not recommended....

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I loaded my bike's rear case with about 12KG of photography gear and that weights twice the recommended number on the manual (6 KG). I took the bike for a 1400km tour and everything is fine and the rack supported the weight over bumps and obstacles with no problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've put some serious weight on my top and side cases on my cb500x. More than double of the recomended weight with no problem. Lawers made those sticker, not the engeneers.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a 52 liter Givi topcase on my Bandit 1200, and now a 47 liter Givi on my '14 Versys 650.

Commuted 80K miles combined (so far), regularly overloaded both cases, never had a problem. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, just haven't managed yet to kill the cases or the subframe.

Oh, and the Givi makes a great frame slider - protects the side exhaust on the Bandit nicely (don't ask me how I know ;))

The one recommendation is to loctite the mounting bolts - I forgot to and a couple vibrated loose :O but luckily not all of them so my case didn't go bouncing down the highway.

I think you'll be fine with what you described.

·
Super Moderator
19,602 Posts
...Kawasaki recommends 6 kg max ( and that is if you don't use side boxs ), even BMW recommends only 5 kg of load inside R1200GS topboxs. we all know manufacturers are always conservative in their manuals that's why I need to know about your experiences....
Written by LAWYERS so that the company has NO liability.

Just remember - you can carry a PASSENGER (who will weigh MORE than 5kg, FOR SURE!) back there...!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I had a home-made rear rack on my KLR650, w/ (normally) a small aluminum camera-case on there, but now-and-then (in AZ) I would replace the camera case w/ a VERY LARGE box that I carried beer home from the store w/. EITHER TWO or THREE 30 can boxes. PROBABLY not recommended....
Were you in the company of a Ural??

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Written by LAWYERS so that the company has NO liability.

Just remember - you can carry a PASSENGER (who will weigh MORE than 5kg, FOR SURE!) back there...!

What!?!? You can get a passenger in your top box?? That's one impressive top box if that's the case. :wink2::laugh:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Hi,
I've been looking for a solution to carry my photography gear on my Versys-X. I never liked Kawasaki OEM Topbox for this bike. I wanted something rugged and indestructible like Pelican Cases. so I got a Vanguard Supreame 46F hardcase. I have designed and prepared a mounting system for it. I'm just worried about weight.

the case itself weights aroung 6.5kg (14.3 lbs) and with my photography gear it weights around 10kg (22 lbs). do you think it is too much and the weight could damange my bike's subframe our mounting bars?
Kawasaki recommends 6 kg max ( and that is if you don't use side boxs ), even BMW recommends only 5 kg of load inside R1200GS topboxs. we all know manufacturers are always conservative in their manuals that's why I need to know about your experiences.

Cheers,
Pouria
I'm of the opinion that, unless your photography gear is made of depleted uranium, the weight of the gear should not be a problem.

Reactions: pouria

·
Super Moderator
19,602 Posts
And HERE it is....

Were you in the company of a Ural??
Yes.... That was a trip to Alaska in '05. Were you on the KLR Forum then?

What!?!? You can get a passenger in your top box?? That's one impressive top box if that's the case. :wink2::laugh:
Take ANOTHER look, Arion....

I'm of the opinion that, unless your photography gear is made of depleted uranium, the weight of the gear should not be a problem.
I AGREE!

:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually, my concerns about weight limits grew when I found out that Steph Jeavons fractured the subframe of her Honda CRF250L a few times while touring around the world. I also read on a few other occacions that carrying loads more than recommended amount shall cause damage to the subframe welding after a while due to metal fatigue and microvibrations.
So far, the living experience says it is safe butr we all know metal fatigue is real.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
If the bike is rated to carry a passenger and you are not carrying a passenger then the weight of the rack, case and equipment should not be an issue. Since you are carrying the weight further back on the bike then the weight should be a fraction of the allowable passenger weight because the forces on the subframe will be greater when the bike is in motion and dealing with bumps.

The further back you carry the weight the lighter the front end can become which could lead to unstable conditions. Since you are designing your own mounting system for it, why not mount it further forward and utilize some of the passenger accommodation space for the case?

The weight precautions on all the bikes mentioned in the original post have more to do with stability and motorcycle handling than they have to do with the weight the sub frame can handle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
even if you cannot mount original sidecases with original top box as the top box will prevent you from opening the side cases....they're trying to write off any chance of being held responsible for anything.
Has anyone tried this? I ordered both the hard saddle bags and the top box. I am starting to think maybe just return the top box. I know people have criticisims of the Kawasaki gear, but I like the top opening of the hard cases and lightweight plastic. I didn't realize they don't come off until after I ordered them, so that is a disappointment but not a deal breaker.

Looks like there is plenty of space to open the side cases with the top box mounted? Anyone know?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts