Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all. I know the answers I get will vary, but I was hoping for some help in setting my expectations.

It looks like I'll be flying out to eastern Idaho to pick up a Versys then ride it home (around 800 miles). I was thinking that I'd split the time up at around 6 hours each day. Is that too much time on the bike per day? I think I'd go crazy if I had to split the journey into 3 days... what would I do with the extra 8 hours of daylight per day?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

~Vonski

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have done several 400 mile days, and one day of 523 miles. Stock seat and stock windscreen on all of them. The 523 was a long, long day, but I managed okay. I am sure with an upgraded windscreen life would have been more pleasant.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What you can take will vary. If you are not used to the bike, you will be in for a very sore backside.

·
Registered
434 Posts
800 miles, two days, 15 hours of sunshine per day.

Hydrate, eat, rest, should be no problem.

Congratulations, enjoy the ride and the bike!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I rode 450 miles today, 2 up on the stock seat, could've road more. The stock seat is fine for me (probably because all of my previous bikes had much worse seats). Ride for an hour or so then take a 5 - 10 minute break, It will increase your daily distance tremendously.

·
Registered
875 Posts
:welcome:One of the beauty things about the V is you can stand up and stretch without stopping, as long as yur not stopping!

One stop between fill-ups is usually enough for me. For 800 miles you may want to stop every hour and a half or so the first day. Take a walk!

At 50 I need to stop more frequently the longer I ride. Knees, back and stuff. Day two even more frequent.

Stand up, change your posture and break often, 2 days should be plenty of time. Back roads are rough on an older body. I hate the superslab personally but 800 miles in 2 days??? I'd take some smooth blacktop in the mix too. Speeds over 55 or 60 the wind buffeting plays a larger factor for me and I tire quicker though.

I'd probably push for 500 mi. day one if you need to do it in two.
Day two for me, I just do less! And more stops!

Did a 600 mi. day as a youngster and it was killer for me then, 500 mile day at my age....not likely!!!:cheers::blah::blah:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
:welcome:One of the beauty things about the V is you can stand up and stretch without stopping, as long as yur not stopping!

One stop between fill-ups is usually enough for me. For 800 miles you may want to stop every hour and a half or so the first day. Take a walk!

At 50 I need to stop more frequently the longer I ride. Knees, back and stuff. Day two even more frequent.

Stand up, change your posture and break often, 2 days should be plenty of time. Back roads are rough on an older body. I hate the superslab personally but 800 miles in 2 days??? I'd take some smooth blacktop in the mix too. Speeds over 55 or 60 the wind buffeting plays a larger factor for me and I tire quicker though.

I'd probably push for 500 mi. day one if you need to do it in two.
Day two for me, I just do less! And more stops!

Did a 600 mi. day as a youngster and it was killer for me then, 500 mile day at my age....not likely!!!:cheers::blah::blah:
Grandpa Ron. I didn't know you were a stunter! :eek:

That's what the cop told me when I stood up to cross some railroad tracks and enjoyed to breeze so it took 100 yards for me to sit back down.

Fortunately, the fact that I have a clean record and was wearing gear kept me from getting a ticket.

10 hours in the saddle at 55 mph or under is very pleasant. If you are planning on riding on the interstate you will get fatigued sooner on the Versys. Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Time in the saddle is highly subjective. I've rode 16-20 hour days and been fine, I've rode 3-4 hour days and been hurting. Depends on the day, the type of riding, the bike, etc. You'll have to find your limits and find where you're comfortable!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I agree with everyone else. The only thing I would add is that I usually ride all day, and try to be off the road by dusk due to increased critters. Other than that, ride what's most comfortable for you.
Have a great ride!

·
Registered
107 Posts
VIsForVonski, a month ago I went on my first 800+ mile ride with the V around Lake Erie. I had a lot of sightseeing (I understand you may not) and rests planned. The trip was 3 days and I had a great time. Despite the extremely uncomfortable stock seat. Because of the seat there is no way I could have done it in 2 days. I found 300 miles was my personal limit.
IMHO, take your time, enjoy the bike and the part of the world you're seeing.
If you have any interest seeing some roadside oddities check here they will help you rack up the miles and many will leave you with a smile on your face.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Grandpa Ron. I didn't know you were a stunter! :eek:

That's what the cop told me when I stood up to cross some railroad tracks and enjoyed to breeze so it took 100 yards for me to sit back down.

Fortunately, the fact that I have a clean record and was wearing gear kept me from getting a ticket.

10 hours in the saddle at 55 mph or under is very pleasant. If you are planning on riding on the interstate you will get fatigued sooner on the Versys. Enjoy!
Stunter, haha, hadn't thought of it like that!

VIsForVonski....it might be best if you bought one of the many fine butt pads available,
sheepskin, airhawk etc. they will help to extend your range, for sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's hard to say for me...I commute 150 miles a day to work with no fatigue. Cruise control really helps alot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
500 mile days are not hard, take your time and take breaks. I ride to my parents house a few times a year, it's like 530 from my driveway to their driveway. I can make the run in 8 hours pushing it at 75mph.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I can ride a lot longer if my butt doesn't get too painful ( bought an Airhawk ) and it's not too hot...95+ really gets to me. I max out at 275-300 when it gets that hot. I think if I ever decide to do the hot long rides again I'll invest in a "cool vest".

·
Registered
267 Posts
... Ride for an hour or so then take a 5 - 10 minute break, It will increase your daily distance tremendously.
+1

500 miles in two days: absolutely no problem.
My longest rode distance in a day was 720 km (450 ml) on Aprilia Pegaso (one cylinder) with my wife and full load for two weeks camping vacation.
Enjoy your new bike!!

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
I can ride a lot longer if my butt doesn't get too painful ( bought an Airhawk ) and it's not too hot...95+ really gets to me. I max out at 275-300 when it gets that hot. I think if I ever decide to do the hot long rides again I'll invest in a "cool vest".
Nick,
You don't need a "cool vest" - just wear a tee-shirt that you've soaked for a couple of minutes in water. I've found I can get close to 2 hours before I need to soak it again, in 100+F. That's under a riding jacket, of course! :goodidea:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the informative and helpful posts! It seems like we all have different tolerance and comfort levels. But, from what most people are saying, around 400 miles shouldn't be difficult to surmount.

I just picked up an armored mesh jacket and some armored pants as well. I plan on picking up a Camelbak Lobo to use for hydration (and maybe a bit of cooling on my back, too) and will take frequent sight-seeing stops to stretch and hope it all works out!

Baron650, I was hoping to get back home asap so I'm not out any extra nights of hotel fees. I won't be packing up tents, sleeping rolls, etc onto the plane. But, I'll have a full week once I get home to get outfitted. I am thinking I might make a camping trip the same week (maybe to Crater Lake) and take my time then!

Thanks again for sharing all y'alls experiences with me!

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
I did a 850 miles in 15 hours one day and 550 miles the next day in 10 hours.The baldwin seat was a big help but the Kool Back Belt was also a big factor i've noticed on some recent rides i haven't use the belt and the ride is not as comfortable.
http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts