Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello... I test my bike on the highway and I just can reach 176Km/h @ 8000 RPM (aprox)... that was the max speed (it's about 109 mph)... no more!
I don't know if it's OK for a 2009 Versys... What do you think? :confused:
BTW... I'm using a 44T rear sprocket and my rear tire is a Pirelli MT60 150/70

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Hello... I test my bike on the highway and I just can reach 176Km/h @ 8000 RPM (aprox)... that was the max speed (it's about 109 mph)... no more!
I don't know if it's OK for a 2009 Versys... What do you think? :confused:
BTW... I'm using a 44T rear sprocket and my rear tire is a Pirelli MT60 150/70
You are geared about 7.3% over stock with the 44T and 150/70, so your speedometer is very close to accurate... Taller windshield, hand guards. luggage, knobby MT60, heavy rider, etc, will slow you down. Stock top speed should be about 116 mph in normal conditions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I thought that maybe the engine haven't enough power to reach the max speed using those tires and rear sprocket... so if I use the regular 160/60 rear tire... Everything will be the same?
I thought that using my Leo Vince Exhaust and BCM air filter, I could get more speed... I'm sad !!! hahaha

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Had a tail wind on a long straight the other day with my top box on and screwed her out to 194kph or 120 mph, it was a strong tail wind.
44 t rear, front stock

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I thought that maybe the engine haven't enough power to reach the max speed using those tires and rear sprocket... so if I use the regular 160/60 rear tire... Everything will be the same?
I thought that using my Leo Vince Exhaust and BCM air filter, I could get more speed... I'm sad !!! hahaha
160/60 street tire and/or 15T would help maybe a bit. Is everything else original (windscreen, handguards)? What type of oil are you using, and is it overfilled? How are your tire pressures?
You are 1550 meters (5080') above sea level. You'd go faster near sea level.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... I'm using a pair of Barkbusters handguards, Givi Windscreen, Motul Synthetic oil 10W-40... at sea level at the moment of the test, tire pressure something about 30 - 32 PSI... maybe my 96Kg doesn't help so much for the test... maybe if someone like Stoner (small and skinny) make the test could reach more speed...!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Well... I'm using a pair of Barkbusters handguards, Givi Windscreen... tire pressure something about 30 - 32 PSI.
Ahah! I had already asked you about big windscreen and handguards! :mad: There's your problem... Also, your tires should be at least 32 psi front, and 36 psi rear.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Try higher pressure, 33psi front and 38psi rear. (I've done 34psi front and it was too bumpy).

Also, your 09 is Open Loop control system as it is without the O2 sensor. Now that is fine if exhaust and air intake is stock. Now that you have a Leo vince and a high flow rate air filter, it would make the mixture lean which under powers the bike at high end. Low to Mid range should be more responsive but high end suffers.

Had my ex 250R Ninja swapped to high flow air filter and aftermarket header pipes and can. Top speed, 150 kph but it struggles to maintain and falls down to 140 kph. It's a carb bike so it needed tuning to the jets but I didn't touch anything. Would be about the same for a Fuel Injection system that is Open Loop. But 0 to 140kph is very quick but once it hits 140, it is out of power. A stock 250 should hit 165-170, with proper gear shifts.

A PC commander may help you get the right mixture to get back the top speed, else, swap back the stock air filter and have a go although, the Leo Vince may need to go too but let's take one step at a time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Versys is a speed machine no doubt about it. Twist the throttle harder, I'm sure you can get to 110mph.
Had a tail wind on a long straight the other day with my top box on and screwed her out to 194kph or 120 mph, it was a strong tail wind.
44 t rear, front stock
Stock gearing, I've seen 128 mph indicated....

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Actually, air/fuel ratio is lean in bottom end, then gets progressively richer from mid rpm to redline. Even with high flow air filter and aftermarket exhaust, top speed is killed by an overly rich top end mixture. The Power Commander can make fuel corrections by adding fuel at low rpm and removing fuel at higher rpm to keep A/F ratio near 13.0~13.2:1 across the rev range for maximum power.
Air/fuel ratio reaches a lean peak at 2800 rpm (~14.5:1), then falls progressively richer to 4100 rpm (~12.8:1), up to ~13.5:1 @ 4500-5000 rpm, then much richer to 5500 rpm (~12.2:1) and up to redline (~11.5:1)... The wide torque band spans from 3800 to 8100 rpm with maximum at 6800 rpm, but some fuel can be saved by keeping it under 5200+ rpm as much as possible.

·
Registered
859 Posts
With:
Givi windshield, hand guards, 100kg rider (geared up), 30kg luggage, top box, full tank, crash guards and gravel guard (adds a few kg), stock gearing, Dunlop RoadSmart tires at 32/36 I got
180km/h.
Could have got a little more but didn't see the point. Bike was rock solid.

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
Actually, air/fuel ratio is lean in bottom end, then gets progressively richer from mid rpm to redline. Even with high flow air filter and aftermarket exhaust, top speed is killed by an overly rich top end mixture. The Power Commander can make fuel corrections by adding fuel at low rpm and removing fuel at higher rpm to keep A/F ratio near 13.0~13.2:1 across the rev range for maximum power.
Air/fuel ratio reaches a lean peak at 2800 rpm (~14.5:1), then falls progressively richer to 4100 rpm (~12.8:1), up to ~13.5:1 @ 4500-5000 rpm, then much richer to 5500 rpm (~12.2:1) and up to redline (~11.5:1)... The wide torque band spans from 3800 to 8100 rpm with maximum at 6800 rpm, but some fuel can be saved by keeping it under 5200+ rpm as much as possible.
:thumb:

:thanx:well explained.

"Air/fuel ratio reaches a lean peak at 2800 rpm (~14.5:1),"

(Approximately 14.5kg of air are required for complete combustion of 1kg gasoline.)

Other variable that can affect performance:

1.Ignition Energy
2.Ignition Timing
3. Fuel metering.

IMHO.

:cheers:

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Stoichometric ratio of close to 14.7:1 for cleanest combustion is ideal for cruising or light loads. About 10% richer yields maximum torque (and horsepower), and about 10% leaner than stoich provides best fuel efficiency.

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
Stoichometric ratio of close to 14.7:1 for cleanest combustion is ideal for cruising or light loads. About 10% richer yields maximum torque (and horsepower), and about 10% leaner than stoich provides best fuel efficiency.
....the compromise is done in order to maximise catalytic converter performance and facilitate compliance with legal emission limits as more manufacture turn to green engines.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts