Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need to have same make/style of front and rear sprockets, or can you mix and match different brands?

I an under the impression that keeping the same brand and style of sprockets as a pair reduces wear.

I have a chance at getting a SuperSprox Steel rear cheap, but don't know if I can get a SuperSprox front, and most dealers quote JT brand for replacements.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Whichever steel sprocket you get for the rear, you'll be better with an OEM 15T or 16T front sprocket with rubber damper.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was going to try and get OEM front sprockets with the rubber damper.

Versys : Sprocket Output, P/N 13144-0024 (15T, 520)
ZX6 : Sprocket Output P/N 13144-0038 (16T, 520)

I'll have to ring the dealers again... they have been quoting me JT brand.
probably because it it cheaper - getting quotes for JT sprockets for Front AU$18-$25 and Rear AU$66-$80.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy-c... OEM prices are :eek: 15T 13144-0024 AU$50.20 and 16T 13144-0038 is AU$64.45

·
Registered
596 Posts
as long as the sprockets & chains are to the same chain spec, (#520?} you can mix & match makers.
Agreed.

Also, I've used non-OEM front sprockets without the rubber damping on other bikes and honestly haven't noticed any increase in chain noise/vibration...
Still obviously on all stock with my 2013.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have a Sun on the rear and JT on the front of my KLR and ONLY have 16,000 miles on it and they are going strong. Keep them adjusted, aligned, clean and lubed and they'll work just fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My prices were from Online OEM Parts Calalogs from some AUST dealers.

Hoping on Monday when I phone them the prices are more realistic.

You can get the 16T on ebay for less.

Yes I know ebay can be cheaper but US$20-$45 for shipping kills it!

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
Agreed.

Also, I've used non-OEM front sprockets without the rubber damping on other bikes and honestly haven't noticed any increase in chain noise/vibration...
Still obviously on all stock with my 2013.
Me TOO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts