Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is old news - searched but didnt know what to look for.

The other day I saw a bike coming at me and it had alternating / flashing leds in the headlight assembly.

Was really attention grabbing.

Wondering if there's a way to wire that up on our bikes - using the side running lights in the headlight housing?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Was it a police bike? Because around here it either was police or it was illegal. May want to check your local traffic laws too as part of the research.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have seen a headlight modulator that dims the high beam BUT doesn't shut it off. I believe these are "somewhat" legal, at least NOT illegal, fine line there. As was said I'd check with the Highway Patrol or local police. Most of the officers I've run into understand we are just trying to stay alive and are NOT out to give you a hard time if you don't push it too far. Helps to be wearing Hi-Vis and riding like you have a lick of sense as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, not sure of the legality. Good point.

It was a sport bike. Each flash was a real short, hot white flash.

Didn't seem like they were timed too close together. A somewhat noticeable delay between the two.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sounds like it would put a lot of stress on the light bulbs. Perhaps also on the battery/alternator, power spikes are not friendly to any electrical system that's not properly designed with them in mind.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you want this effect, you could go with a headlight modulator if they're allowed in your region. Here I think they're allowed in the daytime, not at night.

An alternative is the photon blaster. It doesn't flash like that but it has a very subtle flicker that seems to make it more attention grabbing.

I've never used a modulator. I've read a couple of stories of drivers thinking it was flashing to let them in, and cutting off the bike.

I do have a Photon Blaster on one of my bikes. I don't think it's as attention-grabbing as a headlight modulator, but it has some advantages (including the fact that you can run it day or night).

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
You could add a variable blinker flasher relay inline to the power for them.. Or get a strobe kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts