Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to make my own screen as none of the aftermarket ones do what I want.
I shaped the new screen out of cardboard and stuck it on to the existing screen for ride-testing.
Having established the shape which works well I constructed a mould out of expanded polyurethane which took a considerable amount of time and effort to get right.
I bought two blanks of perspex/acrylic sheet, one to practice with and one to hopefully get right.
I very carefully read the working with perspex manuals and put the blank into the oven which fortunately had 2mm of clearance. I heated it to 160 to 170° centigrade.
Lifted it out and laid it on the mould then proceded to shape it using a high temperature hot-air gun to top up the heat.
To cut a long story short, abject failure. It works fine for 2 dimensional shapes but a significantly 3 dimensional curved shape will not work this way. The manual says you need a full mould with pressure, vacuum or a mechanical ram to stretch the sheet to the complex shape. I should have believed it but I thought it worth a try.
I now have a 2 (and a bit) dimensional screen which will probably work very well but it looks awfull. I will test it out when I get the bike back on the road and decide on what compromise of performance to looks I can live with before I make the final one. Making proper pressure moulds is out of the question for me.

Ted.

·
Registered
466 Posts
hehehe, sounds an awful like my own experience a few years ago. I had no better luck than you did. I have ordered a MikesSheilds Grand touring shield that I plan on reshaping. When I was experimenting I found some designs on the internet for a vacuum frame that I considered making but finally gave up the idea. We never know what we can do until we try though so congratulations and thanks for sharing your trial.

·
Registered
577 Posts
way to rock it, Ted. I saw a neighbor who just took in a homeless CX500 and made his own screen from the acrylic blanks you can buy at home depot. It actually looked pretty good. Since I don't really have any probs with the stock screen, I may buy a piece of smoke from TAP plastics and give it a go. I'm glad there are innovators/tinkerers like you, Invader, etc., on this forum and not just old, cranky, holier than thou know it alls.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ahh........the fun of prototypes. I admire you for trying and you still might get it right someday. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks for the info but I doubt that would work because those plastic bags are going to stretch way to much when in contract with the hot plastic windscreen. Also the cost is too much to experiment with unless one planned to make and sell windscreens.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi heehaw.
The pictures on the vacuum bag site are all 2-dimensional shapes.
It's that 3rd dimension that is the killer, you dont just bend the perspex you have to stretch it a lot.
Ted.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Here's a good example of what I was thinking in terms of bagging - http://www.favonius.com/soaring/bagging/bagging.htm"

Now that is serious precision stuff.
Ted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have Mike's big touring shield. I think you will be happy with it. I am.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have Mike's big touring shield. I think you will be happy with it. I am.

Thanks for the props....:D

Ted99uk, what is it you want out of the shield as far as shape? As you found complex shapes are a PITA and require you stretch the material. This really distorts the view through the shield too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Screen shape

<<what is it you want out of the shield as far as shape>>

I want the maximum protection from wind-blast for my body and shoulders with zero turbulence and noise round my helmet. Shouldn't be a lot to ask but it is.
Ted.

·
Registered
926 Posts
<<what is it you want out of the shield as far as shape>>

I want the maximum protection from wind-blast for my body and shoulders with zero turbulence and noise round my helmet. Shouldn't be a lot to ask but it is.
Ted.
Yeah its what everybody wants but hardly anyone gets. Its really hard to get all of that and not have a shield thats almost so tall you have to look through it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I took my shield completely off. The ride is nice and smooth with no screen. Calm quiet air with no buffeting whatsoever. And as long as you aint going 120, the wind blast is no biggie.

·
Registered
291 Posts
At first glance, I thought, hmmmm. But, I kinda like it. I do feel if you expanded it just a tad further towards the bars somewhat it would be dead on.

The thought of a naked feel does look appealing especially, when nobody can come to a conclusion there is a shield out there that has it dialed in; where it keeps the wind off properly, doesn't buffett, and looks good all at the same time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The thought of a naked feel does look appealing especially, when nobody can come to a conclusion there is a shield out there that has it dialed in; where it keeps the wind off properly, doesn't buffett, and looks good all at the same time.
The buffetting and brain vibration with these shields is a killer man! Naked rules, trust me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ant,
How did you get that set up? That looks awesome and being I am 6'8" tall there isn't a shield out there that can keep wind off of me. I would greatly appreciate if you could help hook a fellow V rider up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts