Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 24 000 km interval is coming up so i was wondering if you guys have more experience about these 2 questions:
1. Spark plugs-OEM or iridium?
2. Air filter-is it worth the extra cash to buy an after market high flow like the BMC or DNA or just go with OEM?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Iridium is nice for the extended replacement interval.

Lots of opinions on high flow air filters. My theory is higher flow equals more dirt gets through. To me the 1 or 2 hp gain that you MIGHT see is not worth the extra wear on the internals of the engine. Lots of folks will say otherwise, ultimately the choice will be up to you.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
These are the oem plugs and ive got them running in both versys and ninja 1000, manual says change every 12,000km, off the record a source at Kawasaki NZ told me that replacing a plug like this every 12,000km is for benefit of the industry such as bike shops and these plugs should be good for 50,000 km plus. http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9687

·
Super Moderator
19,771 Posts
My 24 000 km interval is coming up so i was wondering if you guys have more experience about these 2 questions:
1. Spark plugs-OEM or iridium?
2. Air filter-is it worth the extra cash to buy an after market high flow like the BMC or DNA or just go with OEM?
1. as someone said - the OEM plugs ARE irridium.
2. I bought extra OEM air-filters, so when I need to clean mine, I just replace it, then clean, oil, etc at my leisure, then have IT ready for next time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought a Simota Air Filter. Waiting for it to arrive and I'll report back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Iridium is nice for the extended replacement interval.

Lots of opinions on high flow air filters. My theory is higher flow equals more dirt gets through. To me the 1 or 2 hp gain that you MIGHT see is not worth the extra wear on the internals of the engine. Lots of folks will say otherwise, ultimately the choice will be up to you.

+1

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I did notice an improvement replacing my plugs and cleaning the air filter. Also do a throttle body sych as this will reduce vibration if it is out. As the intake valves wear this causes the sych to go out. Basically one cyl will be sucking more air than the other and making a bigger explosion. Lots of info on the net on how to build your own sych gage or just buy one.

·
Premium Member
7,902 Posts
AT 24K service, recommeded will be Spark Plus, air filter and an after market filter let the V have better air flow. Just check your Valve setting as we have received quite a lot of Engine Breakdown lately over here.

Local Kawa has offered free health check fro all Versys and ER 6 models from 08, and once the service is done an extented 2 years or 40K km warranty is given.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
99 Posts
On air filter, have you guys tried checking it out? it is actually made of foam and can be cleaned as you wish. it is not disposable but reusable. there's no need to replace it. just soak on water with dishwashing liquid for a couple of minutes to remove oil and dirt. sun dry. re-oil with your left over engine oil. and viola! good as new!

·
Super Moderator
19,771 Posts
On air filter, have you guys tried checking it out? it is actually made of foam and can be cleaned as you wish. it is not disposable but reusable. there's no need to replace it. just soak on water with dishwashing liquid for a couple of minutes to remove oil and dirt. sun dry. re-oil with your left over engine oil. and viola! good as new!
X 2!

I have an extra of the originals w/ EACH of my Vs, so I can just remove/ replace, then clean the dirty one to prepare it for next exchange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts