Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed a Magura Hydraulic Clutch on my girl friends Versys .... WHAT A DIFFERENCE ... no more vauge feel ... no more engagement lag ... no more lubing the cable to stop the stiff ... draggie clutch pull ... The slave cylinder installed in the stock mounting bracket that the cable did ... no modification nessary ... the master cylinder lever just clears the left switch housing also ... with the red adjuster knob removed ( the actual adjuster stays ) ... I altered the stock cable routing slightly to avoid kinking the hydraulic line ... I would highly recommend this mod for this bike ... I bought it used off of ebay ... almost any will work ... as long as it will fit a japanese dirt bike ...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sweet mod for sure. I'm still having issues with my stock clutch not engaging right away all the time. It's very annoying. I've got a Magura on my Husky TE450 and it's the tits. However, my buddy put one on his WR450 has had some issues with the slave cylinder. I don't think all the slave cylinders are the same on all Japanese dirt bikes, because when he started having problems they began sending him different parts to try (at his expense!).

If we could figure out the exact parts that will work long term, this would be a very useful mod.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From my experience ... most of the problems are user induced ... the first and formost thing is to make sure that there is absolutly ... NO AIR ... in the system ... once that is achieved ... it works flawlessly ... every one uses mineral oil ... I use ATF ... I might add with no issues ... Photos are on the way ... there are other things on the bike that might interest you folks also ... I'll let the photos do the talking ... once I get them uploaded ...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Welcome to the tribe.
:eek: I have been thinking about doing this mod and you've beaten me to the punch!
Looking forward to seeing your mods.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll take my stone-age simple cable clutch any day. But, make sure you do a write up on how you did it in case somebody wants to follow in your footsteps!

Don

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a few photos ...

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/ddkessler/Versys Album/

You will also notice that I moved the front fender up to accomodate a 130x80-17 rear tire which happens to be a Anakee ... the reason is my girl friend just got her licence ( IE inexperienced ) ... and being that I also own a Vstrom 1000 and a couple drz475's and a KLX650 with a vulcan piston in it ... you can guess that I spend alot of time on dirt and gravel roads ... which she was game for ... that rear tire ... mounted on the front slows the bikes geometry down and also gives more gyroscopic effect ... which is all good things for her ... I also had Galfer make me custom ... dual front brake lines so I didn't have over the fender brake line issues when I raised the front fender ... as it turned out ... I ended up with a Galfer rear brake line as well ... I might add ... also a nice improvement ... On the handlebar ... you will notice that I also installed handlebar warmers ... as western New York has a short riding season ... so anything to extend that is a bonus ... The sheild is a Givi with the wings cut off to make enough clearence for the Moose bark busters that I installed ... I have also removed the intake snorkles and the throttle secondaries ... and did the Vacuume T mod ... that is about it for now ... mods to come are KG clutch with HD springs ... and 08versys muffler mod ... I'm also toying with the Idea of boring the throttle bodies and picking up a power commander ... as I can tell there is at least 10 more HP to be gotten with the bikes present state of tune ... When that's all done ... I'll probably like it so well that I'll sell the Vstrom ... and pick up another versys ... and start the mods all over again ... :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
YIKES that front tire looks huge!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YIKES that front tire looks huge!
That's ... Because it is ...! I just finished the KG clutch plates w/ HD ( IE 20% stronger ) clutch springs .... I also just put on the Cherry Bomb Muffler ... I think I'm finished ... for now ... ! :D

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Interesting... Did you simply bolt up the fender's lower mount hole to the upper fork mount bolt? It still clears the lower triple clamp when fork is fully compressed? I guess the only drawback is that the lower part of fork tubes is now a bit exposed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting... Did you simply bolt up the fender's lower mount hole to the upper fork mount bolt? It still clears the lower triple clamp when fork is fully compressed? I guess the only drawback is that the lower part of fork tubes is now a bit exposed.
Yes ... you are correct ... You have to relocate the brake line stay on the lower triple clamp ... because it does hit the fender when you bottom the forks ... One of these days I'm going to take the front wheel off my Vstrom and see if it will work under the front end of the Versys ... Pliminary measurments on the spacing between the forks and brake rotor diameter says it should work ... right now the overall diameter of the 130x80-17 tire is the same as the 19 anakee that is on the front of the Vstrom ... huge difference in width though ... all that rubber spinning makes for slow transitions left to right compared to the skinny 19 inch tire on the Vstrom ... any way ... my biggest worry is the axle diameter between the two bikes ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have pics? I'm a female rider and am having trouble shifting in stop and go traffic, causing lots of hand pain because the reach is a bit far for my small hands even when handle is moved as close as possible. This sounds like just what i need to make shifting easier. Patti

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do you have pics? I'm a female rider and am having trouble shifting in stop and go traffic, causing lots of hand pain because the reach is a bit far for my small hands even when handle is moved as close as possible. This sounds like just what i need to make shifting easier. Patti
rapcec518, your might want to check out Pazzo levers for your problem, it would be a cheaper and easier solution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:type:I found specs online for these hyd. clutches. They all look similar in cable length and the master cyl. sizes are different, the smaller the number the easer the clutch pull but you have better control with the bigger number master cyl. I am not sure on the different slave cylinder sizes but thinking of calling them on monday and asking what the numbers mean.

I would like to get one of these hyd. clutches but dont want to order one that wont fit.

I was wondering if Freewheeler can look and see if he can see any numbers on the master cylinder or slave cylinder, than I could figure out which kit he has and then we would know what fits for sure.

I tried to cut and paste the spec sheet but I couldent get it to work.

Thanks.
Darryl.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts