Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years I have had a rare earth magnet attached to the outside hex end of the oil drain plug on all my bikes. While changing my oil I noticed that, although the magnet is very powerful, the "business" end inside the oil pan has a very low magnetic field. Probably due to the length of the bolt, or whatever, I'm no scientist.

I took a close look at the length of the bolt and the "well" it seats in and decided that there is virtually no risk of a magnet detaching from the bolt by being attracted to other ferrous metals inside the oil pan, if the magnet was installed on the "business" end of the bolt inside the oil pan.

The bolt has a scalloped shape on the end, so I chose a magnet that fit the shape perfectly. For safety I used a very strong epoxy glue to ensure that the magnet will stay put. Cheap and cheerful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
Gears, buckets shims cams and bearing are not alloy. Any wear of surface will allow metal particles to flow about the engine those too small to be filtered by the filter might be caught by the magnet.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought and installed a magnetic drain plug for my Versys years ago. It doesn't cost much, is easy to install and adds an extra level of protection. Well worth the money and effort.
I'm frugal and already had the magnet. Saved the cost of a tank of gas.;)

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
I attach a "rare-earth" magnet, about 1" diameter, to the end of my oil-filter, after the filter's seated, and it remains there till THAT filter's been removed (so no material gets dislodged while the old filter's still on the engine). Then I take it off, wipe it to get it ready to be re-attached.

ALL your oil goes thru the filter, so I figure this is the best way to capture any wayward ferrous particles....

:goodidea:

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
My filter has a magnet in it...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have the reusable filter like Weljo. On my first oil change with this filter (4th overall oil change), I did notice small tiny bits on the magnet. There are ferrous parts somewhere in the engine, is all I can say.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I attach a "rare-earth" magnet, about 1" diameter, to the end of my oil-filter, after the filter's seated, and it remains there till THAT filter's been removed (so no material gets dislodged while the old filter's still on the engine). Then I take it off, wipe it to get it ready to be re-attached.

ALL your oil goes thru the filter, so I figure this is the best way to capture any wayward ferrous particles....

:goodidea:
I use a rare earth bar magnet... about 2"x1/2" on the bottom of my oil filter. It too stays on the filter until the filter is removed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do you guys just drop a larger magnet inside the filter and fish it out when you replace them? Or just stick it to the outside? I can't see the pics at work becsue they are blocked, so I don't know if the images show how the magnets are attached to the filters.

Thanks

·
Registered
805 Posts
i wouldnt trust that setup, hot oil will cook epoxy and make it brittle. i' probably buy a real magnetic plug.
This may be true with some epoxies, but not all. As someone who works in epoxies on a daily basis I know that you just need to find one with a higher glass transition stage (operating temp). In most cases engines run about 220°f (at least I think) so a high temp epoxy would work fine. Think JB weld or something like that. Something meant to see high temps and bond to metal. If you guys would like I can try putting a few materials through some machines here at work and tell you how high they will effectively work.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
i wouldnt trust that setup, hot oil will cook epoxy and make it brittle. i' probably buy a real magnetic plug.
On my KLR I just drilled a hole into the drain plug (from the INSIDE end) the same diameter and depth as the magnet, then put the magnet into the hole. The magnetic attraction will keep it there pretty much FOREVER!

Do you guys just drop a larger magnet inside the filter and fish it out when you replace them?...
The filter is iron or steel - I just stick the magnet to the end of the filter.

I used this on my KLR, but now on my Versys, I wanted to know how to add the magnet to the filter?
See above.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts