Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do my first oil change, and thought it would be a good idea to put a magnetic drain plug in place of the stocker. For all I know, the stock one might be magnetic. Anyone know? Otherwise, I suppose there is no reason not to head to Autozone and grab a magnetic plug in the same size as the original. Just looking for ideas. Thanks.

B-

·
Registered
440 Posts
The stocker is NOT magnetic. My Suzuki is the only motorcycle I've ever had with a magnetic drain plug; nice feature.

By all means, get yourself one and take a pic of how much metal accumulates during a service interval.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I installed one after 60 miles oil change. The dealer said the plug picked up a lot of metal (the size of an m&m worth of metal). The next change (semi synthetic) I found about the size of a small pea worth of shavings on it. i will NEVER have a bike without a magnetic drain plug ever again. A very cheap insurance policy for engine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Where does one get a magnetic plug for a Versys? My local dealer told me one wasn't available. I do agree with StonedGP....I will always have a mag. plug in my bike from now on!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, thanks for the idea. Do you happen to know the part number that will fit our Versys?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Invader has part # 1044M just above the link.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanx for the link Invader, it's where I got mine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got the email that mine is in the mail. Next oil change it will be installed.
Thanks for the info guys. :thumb:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Anybody try one of the magnets that wraps around the oil filter?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Anybody try one of the magnets that wraps around the oil filter?
I may be way off base, but it would seem to me that anything big enough to be attracted to the magnet would be trapped by the filter any way. Anything small enough to pass through the filter won't have enough mass to stick to the side of the filter with hot oil flowing through it. So, IMHO, it would be a waste of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ditto on the above post. The particles are probably just being pulled onto the magnet before getting trapped in the filter. Anything of that size WOULD be trapped, otherwise those OEM filters are scary bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi everyone, just got a my first bike a new 08 Versys. It was hard to find this late in the year but I got a good deal in it. I put 60 miles on it and I'm thinking about changing the oil soon. I've been reading all the posting and it appears the first oil change can be anywhere from 10-600 miles. I might as well get a magnetic drain plug while I'm at it. Is Part # 1044M from http://www.cgenterprises.com definitely the right size? I ask because the site does not list the Versys. Also did anyone order their gaskets? If so what kind should I get - they have 8 diff kinds.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
1044M with 12mm-1.5 thread is the right size. A few (spares) aluminum gaskets (#2414) would be good for use on the aluminum pan, like the OEM gasket.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Hi Guys,

I don't use a magnetic plug.

Try getting a few hard disk drive strong magnets.
Stick it to the V spin off oil filter. Tie it up with some elastic band.
The idea is to let the magnet attact the metal **** in the engine oil while its filtering.
Dispose when the change of filter.

Tried this and found it works.

Best Regards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.