Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received a reply from Mark @ Madstad about the flex problem with the mount.As some of you are probably aware the windscreen bounces considerably on rougher roads due to the flex of the bracket.
Mark has told me they are going to weld a perpendicular rib underneath to prevent this and that he would send me one to try.I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So does this mean that anyone running a Madstad would get this fix or only if we complained severely ? :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Madstad must have recognized the problem as I got no "prove it to me" thing and Mark was very upfront about working on a fix.I'm sure they will work with anyone but to what extent I don't know.The problem is compounded the taller the windscreen is,of course.Mine is a Givi with a 17" height.Complaining severely probably won't work. ha ha.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I suspect it will work; I have a tall (Calsci Medium) screen on my Madstad and to prevent the bounce I wedged a wedge :) of wood between the Madstad and the V's dashboard. That is probably right where the welded rib will be.

The wedge helped by bringing the bounce down to acceptable levels. Also, if I ride on bouncy roads for extended periods, I slide the screen all the way down to minimize its leverage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I received my modified bracket and it is an improvement.I recommended they add one more welded bracket and then i think all flex would be eliminated.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was just about to pull the trigger on a Madstad but I think I'll wait a bit until the next version is widely available.

·
Registered
286 Posts
For what it's worth, I only find the flex to be evident during REALLY high winds. This weekend was probably the windiest conditions I've ever been in, and that Calsci and MadStad were riding point in a gale, basically. In violent crosswinds I'd see a tiny bit of flex. Once I turned south - 70mph into a 20kt headwind - well, it was miserable for me and every component on the bike, actually.

I don't really find it to be untenable though. I think securing a little foam in there would probably help a bit with overall vibration. There is a harmonic or something that makes the shield vibrate at idle - really annoying buzzing sound but that goes away past 2K on the tach.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the same problem when I intall it with my CalSci... it would be of help if you send us a picture with the detail of the added part... maybe is something easy to do in home.
Thanks for the add :interesting:

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only 'flex' I notice is on the Givi Windscreen itself, it attaches to the Madstad using 'soft' mounts so it can flex a little. The bracket seemed fine, even in the stronger cross-winds, perhaps I am not riding fast enough..... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts