Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my first long ride this weekend from San Diego to the High Sierras. I have a 35 liter SW-Motech tailbag, but I could really use another 15-20 liters of storage to be comfortable for the week. I'm a backpacker, so I keep things simple...but I need that extra bit of storage space to be comfortable.

My question is this- with a stock 2009 Versys 650, what economic and safe options do I have outside of wearing a backpack to gain that extra bit of storage? Is there an easy way to safely strap my 45L backpacking rig ontop/beside my tail bag? I'm open to ideas. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
Went from Tx to CA like this. Soft Saddle Bags w/rain cover. Strapped ontop of that a Saddlemens Duffel Bag.Strapped on top of that a Tailbag on top of that a extra jacket and on top of that a rain suit....If you can strap it it will travel....:grin2::grin2:

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0128 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
269 Posts
I assume you don't have a luggage rack...

You have lots of options. But it might be hard to get something in time.

Simplest would be to add a tank bag. You can add 15-20 liters this way. I have 3 tank bags for sale by the way, but you'd probably want to look for something local or get it from someplace that can ship ASAP. Revzilla often ships from Las Vegas, they could probably get you something by Friday.

Or add some saddle bags. But you might need some brackets to hold them out from the wheel, I'm not sure.

Or replace your tail bag with something a little bigger, like a u-bag SW-MOTECH 620 Dry Bag 62L Tail Bag - RevZilla

This Givi bag would work also and is less expensive but not waterproof. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs305-xstream-tail-pack

I don't know how long your ride is, but I would not wear a backpack, nor would I try to strap a backpacking backpack on to the bike with your tail bag. If anything comes loose it could be dangerous for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Simplest would be to add a tank bag. You can add 15-20 liters this way. I have 3 tank bags for sale by the way, but you'd probably want to look for something local or get it from someplace that can ship ASAP. Revzilla often ships from Las Vegas, they could probably get you something by Friday.

Or add some saddle bags. But you might need some brackets to hold them out from the wheel, I'm not sure.

Or replace your tail bag with something a little bigger, like a u-bag SW-MOTECH 620 Dry Bag 62L Tail Bag - RevZilla

This Givi bag would work also and is less expensive but not waterproof. Givi XS305 XStream Tail Pack - RevZilla

I don't know how long your ride is, but I would not wear a backpack, nor would I try to strap a backpacking backpack on to the bike with your tail bag. If anything comes loose it could be dangerous for you.
Thanks. I looked into revzilla and twisted throttles options, there wasn't anything that would make it in time without paying outrageous shipping fees. There's a shop nearby that has overpriced drybags, would I just toss one of them on top of my tail bag and strap them to the seat as well?

I'd get a SW-Motech bags connect drybag for compatibility if time permitted, but I'm looking for a safe fix under $100 in the meantime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

This Givi bag would work also and is less expensive but not waterproof. Givi XS305 XStream Tail Pack - RevZilla

Went from Tx to CA like this. Soft Saddle Bags w/rain cover. Strapped ontop of that a Saddlemens Duffel Bag.Strapped on top of that a Tailbag on top of that a extra jacket and on top of that a rain suit....If you can strap it it will travel....:grin2::grin2:

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0128 by weljo2001, on Flickr
:thumb: Blue....Good taste. It's the fastest color

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks. I looked into revzilla and twisted throttles options, there wasn't anything that would make it in time without paying outrageous shipping fees....
Las Vegas to San Diego via UPS Ground is 1 day transit time. They ship for free via UPS Ground. Call RevZilla, make sure they know you want something that will ship from their Las Vegas distribution center. I'll bet you can get something by Friday.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I'm doing my first long ride this weekend from San Diego to the High Sierras. I have a 35 liter SW-Motech tailbag, but I could really use another 15-20 liters of storage to be comfortable for the week. I'm a backpacker, so I keep things simple...but I need that extra bit of storage space to be comfortable.

My question is this- with a stock 2009 Versys 650, what economic and safe options do I have outside of wearing a backpack to gain that extra bit of storage? Is there an easy way to safely strap my 45L backpacking rig ontop/beside my tail bag? I'm open to ideas. Thanks for the input!
Get some soft saddle bags, "sport size". They are great to have for that occasional tour and will transfer easily to another bike down the road if you trade.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-saddlebags
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nelson-rigg-sport-40-saddle-bags

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
Thanks. I looked into revzilla and twisted throttles options, there wasn't anything that would make it in time without paying outrageous shipping fees. There's a shop nearby that has overpriced drybags, would I just toss one of them on top of my tail bag and strap them to the seat as well?

I'd get a SW-Motech bags connect drybag for compatibility if time permitted, but I'm looking for a safe fix under $100 in the meantime.
I just strapped a 'canoe-bag' w/ tent, sleeping bag and mat, to the passenger part of the seat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a spacious Twisted Throttle bulbous top case and can carry a lot of stuff in there. I prefer to keep the passenger spot open so I can scoot back there to change riding positions to rescue my butt and stretch my legs. You could fabricate a large base plate to fit the luggage rack to give you more storage space. Thought I saw a picture of Fasteddie's Versys with something like that in one of his excellent trip stories. Have a safe and fun trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Go more simple...and head to the local sporting/outdoor store (REI, etc.) and get a dry bag. Properly attach to the rear seat.

Have a good ride...wish I was there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Amazon has some ~1000 cubic inch (~16 liter) saddle bags for $28 with prime shipping. The reviews seem to be decent as long as you don't let them rest on an exhaust pipe... which I don't see as being a problem on a versys...

If you do end up strapping a backpack to your bike, make sure you tuck in/secure all the loose straps. it'd be a mess to have a should strap adjuster come free and become entangled in your rear wheel. Depending on how "proper" you are, wrapping the backpack up in a garbage bag and then securing that with a bungee cord net might work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts