Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola,

Last week I was on 1600 km trip, and I get in hard rain, about 250 km it was raining.
Now after that rain I and 50 km on dry road I stop and notice that chain is 100% dry, 0% lube on them (I lube chain night before trip)

Now I wonder what else I need to lube on motorbike after rain?
I was at service and tommorow i go on trip, service guy lube al lot of parts on motorbike, but I didn't see what exactly.

So can you give me advice, what shoud I look after rain, and on which parts I need to add lube?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your chain needed lube before it got rained on. You need to lube that chain every 700km or so. Even on long trips, you need to bring lube to keep it running right.
For what it's worth, I just turned 39,000 miles (62,800 km) on my 2016 V1K, and still on original chain, and the chain looks great. I have used Dupont wax based chain lube since new.
As for what else needs lube, I'd just lube the sidestand and shifter and brake pedal after running long in rain. But even that is not necessary, the bike is designed to run in wet conditions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your chain needed lube before it got rained on. You need to lube that chain every 700km or so. Even on long trips, you need to bring lube to keep it running right.
For what it's worth, I just turned 39,000 miles (62,800 km) on my 2016 V1K, and still on original chain, and the chain looks great. I have used Dupont wax based chain lube since new.
As for what else needs lube, I'd just lube the sidestand and shifter and brake pedal after running long in rain. But even that is not necessary, the bike is designed to run in wet conditions.
I lube them, and go to sleep, wake up, and start to ride in rain. I was thinking that lube will hold longer on chain, but probably to much water + 120km/h constant speed take away lube from chain after 250-300km

100ml ( ipone xtreme chain road ) can is always with me in my top case or in my backpack.
I lube chain every 500 km, I just touch chain, if is my finger less greasy I lube chain little.
So basicaly every 1000 km I need to remowe front sprocket cover, and clean that plastic because ther is few milimeter of lube which fly from chain.
Maybe I put to much lube on chain, (i love lube LOL) but it is ok, I don't ride offroad so I never see sticked sand or rock on my chain.
Basicaly this was my first ride in rain (ride longer than 10 km in rain), so I wish to check what you other guys have to say, any advice is usefull.

·
Registered
99 Posts
DuPont chain lube is brilliant.

I used it on my FZ6 for 13 years and 46,000 miles. She still had the original chain and sprocket when I sold her to buy the Versys 650.

After prolonged riding in the rain it’s always worth lubing the chain.

Generally, I lubed the chain once a month, more often if I was riding in the rain.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
I lube my chains more often than MOST do, and IF I'm riding in a LONG down-pour (on a long trip) I'll pull over to spray the chain again WHILE it's raining - perhaps MORE than once, as well as when I pull in to a campground, BEFORE I set-up my camp.

Lube is CHEAP!

·
Registered
177 Posts
On long trips I usually just hit the chain at the end of the day. @ every 500 miles or after going through heavy rain.

I usually get 20-25k out of chains on my past bikes but this V650 gobbled up two of them already and I'm on my 3rd. Both were the original DID model that came with it, both turned purple and ran very hot until they started sounding like squirrels in a can regardless of how much lube i hit them with. I have a cheap EK SRO o ring on now for the past about 5k miles and no signs of anything wrong with that one.

I'm wondering if DID had a bad run of those chains. I met another V650 rider in whitehorse last year, same chain, same thing.

I've always found it pretty easy to hit at least 20k on a chain in the past with just lubing them every 500 miles or so.

My original sprockets are still fine, I have a new set waiting but the stock ones are looking good. Normally i swap them with the chain at 20-25k but I wore out the first Chain on this versys at @ 9k miles.

If you haven't tried them the EK self riveting master links are awesome. Easy peasy chain swaps with an angle grinder.
https://www.amazon.com/EK-520ZVX3-X-Ring-Chain-Master/dp/B079QLDZPN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts